Nintendo Revolution Info

It's about the size of 3 PS 2 game cases stacked on top each other. You
load the disc in as if you were putting a CD in your Car stereo so it
zips in. It can play Game Cube games. Free Online like XBOX Live but
it's free. You can download any past games for the NES, SNES, 64, and
Game Boy Games. Most titles are free some will cost like a buck. It
comes out March to mid 2006. That's all I know.
21 answers Last reply
More about nintendo revolution info
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Ryan Is Extreme" <Wolverine_02@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > It's about the size of 3 PS 2 game cases stacked on top each other. You
    > load the disc in as if you were putting a CD in your Car stereo so it
    > zips in. It can play Game Cube games. Free Online like XBOX Live but
    > it's free. You can download any past games for the NES, SNES, 64, and
    > Game Boy Games. Most titles are free some will cost like a buck. It
    > comes out March to mid 2006. That's all I know.

    a motorized slot loader which can take GC sized disks and regular sized
    disks?, that sounds potentially problematic. Then again, do we know if the
    revolution will use mini disks as well?. I'm really curious to see how they
    will handle their old libraries, I cant believe theyll be giving the full
    games away like has been rumored (im hoping to be proved wrong of
    course.....).
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Have you not been paying attention? Tut tut. The Revolution uses discs
    the same size as standard DVDs. In fact, it will also be able to play
    DVD movies. And no, they aren't giving all their old games away - there
    will either be a charge to download them, or they'll be given away as
    part of a promotion or competition.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    The dvd movie playing may require an addon I think. But with the
    rumoured price of €199 for the console I would say that paying
    €20-30 for the addon wouldn't be too bad. But then again, my laptop
    plays dvd's and I also have 2 dvd players, so I won't need this, but I
    agree others do need this. All I want to do is look at how shiny and
    cute it looks while playing great fun games.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    I think it will probably be less than €199 IMHO...remember, the
    GameCube was released at only £130 (about €150?).
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On 13 Jul 2005 10:57:22 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The dvd movie playing may require an addon I think.

    why? Playing a DVD is the simplist thing in the world, also why the
    hell would you want to play a DVD on your videogame? Maybe to save
    room if you short on space, but a DVD player is so cheap and everyone
    has one already so I dont see this as a big deal and certainly dont
    see people paying extra for this feature!
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Ok. No need for the flaming, I said that not everyone needs this addon.
    The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
    decode the dvd data. The nintendo revolution "may" only be shipping
    with the chip to decode the game data from their proprietry disc
    format.
    The reason I would think that other people are crying out for dvd video
    capability is because they're using the console in college or somewhere
    else which is away from the dvd player they have at home. Please tell
    us if you think I'm wrong.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    drag0n wrote:
    > The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
    > decode the dvd data.

    I think the addon is just a way to unlock the DVD playing functions, as
    a way of selling the console at a lower price. If it had the capability
    built-in, Nintendo would have to pay the MPAA (or maybe the Japanese
    equivalent) a set fee for every console. By selling it seperately, only
    those who want it will pay, saving Nintendo and the customer money.
    Microsoft did the same with the original Xbox.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    blork wrote in rec.games.video.nintendo:

    > If it had the capability
    > built-in, Nintendo would have to pay the MPAA (or maybe the Japanese
    > equivalent) a set fee for every console.

    Nintendo would have to pay someone for using DVD technology in the
    Revolution, but it wouldn't be the MPAA, the RIAA, or JASRAC. See:

    DVD FAQ: Who invented DVD and who owns it? Whom to contact for
    specifications and licensing?
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#6.1

    --
    Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
    To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"

    On 14 Jul 2005 01:04:38 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
    >decode the dvd data.

    You dont need a "chip" to decode DVD data. The Revolution will
    surely have enough horsepower to decode a DVD.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    In article <8judd1l6rog9uisl4g8pn7trdehadfoadl@4ax.com>,
    kevin <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote:
    >On 14 Jul 2005 01:04:38 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
    >>decode the dvd data.
    >
    >You dont need a "chip" to decode DVD data. The Revolution will
    >surely have enough horsepower to decode a DVD.

    Yes, but you need to pay for the license that authorizes the software that
    decodes the DVD. That Jack built. That's why the decoding is generally the
    job of a separate piece of hardware, even if the console can natively
    perform the DVD playback function. Making the decoder a separate component
    means that not every console needs to include in its cost the license fee.

    It's dumb, and it's one of the indications that DRM and other legal wet
    blankets on top of technology are holding us back. Nobody's disputing that
    part of the facts.

    -KKC, a mighty killer. In the last week I have slain three laptop hard
    drives. Mightily and in great pain did they die.
    --
    --S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
    trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

    Kevin wrote: "You dont need a "chip" to decode DVD data. The
    Revolution will
    surely have enough horsepower to decode a DVD."

    True, but in this case you do. Because of licensing and costs.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On 15 Jul 2005 02:38:53 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >True, but in this case you do. Because of licensing and costs.

    I see what you mean, but they could liscense the tech and include it
    in software as well.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Ok, back on topic. They say it's 3DVD cases in size. But does that
    include the PSU? Or will this be a case where the PSU is external and
    bulky like the mac mini?
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    well, in most of nintendo's old consoles the power supply has been
    external, so i think its a fair bet that the Revo's will also be,
    especially cosidering the size of the machine and the fact that it will
    supposedly be even smaller come release day. actually i find external
    PSUs to be a benefit in most cases; back in the day of the Dreamcast,
    mine would always reset itself because of the overheating. never had
    that problem with the GCN.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Interesting, thanks for that. The last Nintendo (last console) I ever
    had was a NES which was internal, so i didn't know. This revolution has
    sparked up my interest in gaming again. I felt it had gone way to
    overpriced and boring in the last few years. But now with nintendo
    going back to focusing on entertainment rather than competition i think
    it will improve.

    blork wrote:
    > well, in most of nintendo's old consoles the power supply has been
    > external, so i think its a fair bet that the Revo's will also be,
    > especially cosidering the size of the machine and the fact that it will
    > supposedly be even smaller come release day. actually i find external
    > PSUs to be a benefit in most cases; back in the day of the Dreamcast,
    > mine would always reset itself because of the overheating. never had
    > that problem with the GCN.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Your NES had an internal PSU?!? What model was that? All the NES units
    I''ve seen had an external PSU. The closest Nintendo has been to an
    internal PSU was the N64, in which the PSU was inserted into a cavity
    in the console.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Dan Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> writes:
    > The closest Nintendo has been to an internal PSU was the N64, in which
    > the PSU was inserted into a cavity in the console.

    I've always admired that design -- it seems to combine many of the
    advantages of both internal and external power supplies (the only
    downside I can see being that you must design for heat flowing from the
    PSU into the main unit).

    -Miles
    --
    `To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to,
    all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson

    hmmm,, It's been a lot longer than i had imagined since ive seen my
    nes. I thought it did... at least i don't recall saying, geez wtf is
    that box next to it? like i did when i saw the mac mini.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    hmmm,, It's been a lot longer than i had imagined since ive seen my
    nes. I thought it did... at least i don't recall saying, geez wtf is
    that box next to it? like i did when i saw the mac mini.
  20. everything right, but the name will be WII!! 8O
    and it will cost about 250 euro!
  21. He posted that Topic in 2005 so it only makes sense that he called it that..

Console Gaming Games Nintendo Video Games