unable to decrypt my originally encrypted files

Hi everyone,

i have done a format and install clean operating system again(xp)! And i am
unable to decrypt my originally encrypted files. Is there any possible way to
decrypt ??? Please help. Thanks!
--
George
3 answers Last reply

    If you did not export, and save, your encryption key - the files are
    unusable at this point. You may as well delete them off of your computer.

    The computer has many capabilities. Just because it is capable of doing
    something doesn't mean the "average" user should do so - without reading up
    on the subject and thoroughly understanding the ramifications of doing so.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "smb2000user100" <smb2000user100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > i have done a format and install clean operating system again(xp)! And i
    > am
    > unable to decrypt my originally encrypted files. Is there any possible way
    > decrypt ??? Please help. Thanks!
    > --
    > George

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:59:01 -0700, "smb2000user100"
    <smb2000user100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >i have done a format and install clean operating system again(xp)! And i am
    >unable to decrypt my originally encrypted files. Is there any possible way to
    >decrypt ??? Please help. Thanks!

    If you're familiar with using a hex editor it's possible. If not you can
    buy programs that will work too. I'd suggest reading this page:
    http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/index.php
    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Hi,

    To decrypt files, you need either the original exported encryption
    certificate or a recovery agent made in the original installation. Without
    one of these, you will not be able to access encrypted files. EFS is a very
    strong encryption.

    However, are you sure that you encrypted them? Often times, people mistake
    "access denied" messages for encryption, when in fact it is just an
    ownership issue. If this is the case, it can be easily resolved by reading
    the link below:
    http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "smb2000user100" <smb2000user100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > i have done a format and install clean operating system again(xp)! And i
    > am
    > unable to decrypt my originally encrypted files. Is there any possible way
    > decrypt ??? Please help. Thanks!
    > --
    > George

Microsoft Windows XP