Installing Win7 - Hard Drive comes up as "System"

MercenaryWubby

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi. Me and my friend were formatting my computer from vista to windows 7. No problem installing vista, but when it came to 7, and I tried to install 7 as 64x, it gave me an error telling me that it has to be 32x. He said that shouldn't be and that you should be able to write right over it. On the picture I'm posting, he says that when I click the drive, another button is supposed to pop up that allows me to format the drive, so I can erase vista and upgrade to 7. However, there isn't; we got baffled and frustrated and his theory is that my drive shouldn't say "System" next to it, and that it might be causing the problem, since when he did it, it said "drive" or something along those lines (I can't rememer exactly. But it's definitely not supposed to be "System".

If anyone has any idea how to change it from "System" to the correct format or whatever, so I'll be able to format it, then please let me know. Also if you think that this isn't the problem, then could you please help enlighten us on what to do to format and install win7?

Thank you!

-Wubby

Are you booting from the DVD or are you trying to do the install from within Vista? You have to boot from the DVD for what you are trying. If you don't get the option to delete your existing partition when you boot from the DVD, download GParted and remove the Vista partition from your hard disk.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
If you are using an upgrade version of Windows 7, Vista (in this case) must be installed.

Boot from the DVD.
When you get the part that asks "What type of installation do you want?" there are two options, Upgrade and Custom (advanced). Select Custom (advanced).

MercenaryWubby

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

From within vista using the disk. My friend says that this disk can't be booted from start up. Man this is driving me crazy...

Well, that explains your problem; you can't run 64-bit install from a 32-bit OS. Your friend is wrong; don't listen to him. If you have a genuine Windows 7 disk then you can boot and install from it. Just make sure that your BIOS is set to allow booting from DVD.

If you don't have a genuine disk, end of conversation.