xp home help with format c:

September 18, 2005 4:30:23 PM

Hi,
My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
clicked-properties-format.
Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.

Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
Thanks in advance.

More about : home format

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:30:24 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:

>Hi,
> My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
>restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
>clicked-properties-format.
>Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
>due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
>
>Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
>Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
>set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
>Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
>Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you should read the Norton AV manual first. When it detects a
"bloodhound" virus, it really means "I've found something suspicious that
may or may not be a virus." I'd suggest submitting the infected file to
some other AV vendors for confirmation. Heck, just upload it to
Virustotal.com and see what you've got. You may be unable to disinfect it
because you're not actually infected with anything.
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Change the BIOS to boot from the CD and format from there. If it's a
restore disc, it may reformat automatically.

--
Cheers,

Guy

September 18, 2005 5:36:44 PM

Hi,
How do I change the bios? It starts in safety mode-then re-boots
again due to windows setup can not run in safety mode. It will not
even show a desk top.So if you can explain this bios procedure.I would
be thankful.
Thanks again for your help.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:36:43 +0100, Dr Teeth
<no.email.here.please@tardis.com> wrote:

>Change the BIOS to boot from the CD and format from there. If it's a
>restore disc, it may reformat automatically.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:57:11 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:

>Hi,
> My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
>restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
>clicked-properties-format.
>Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
>due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
>
>Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
>Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
>set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
>Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
>Thanks in advance.

Hi,
This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
Thanks in advance.
September 18, 2005 6:13:31 PM

If it is a Dell then it may be already set to boot from the CD. Try putting
the CD in and reboot then watch the screen for a message that says "Boot
from CD press any key". Failing that the instructions for the Dell should
tell you how to carry out the restore procedure. Some say press the F10 key
during boot and that will run the routing and prompt for the CD when
necessary.

Neil
"zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
news:o 7sqi1l50l1hg9nocc4tvkla2ck00im9fd@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>> My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
>>restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
>>clicked-properties-format.
>>Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
>>due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
>>
>>Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
>>Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
>>set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
>>Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
>>Thanks in advance.
>

> Hi,
> This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
> and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
> think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
> someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
> Thanks in advance.
September 18, 2005 6:15:07 PM

Here's something http://www.pctechbytes.com/dell.htm

Neil
"zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
news:o 7sqi1l50l1hg9nocc4tvkla2ck00im9fd@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>> My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
>>restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
>>clicked-properties-format.
>>Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
>>due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
>>
>>Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
>>Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
>>set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
>>Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
>>Thanks in advance.
>

> Hi,
> This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
> and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
> think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
> someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
> Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:22:15 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I will try that today.Wish me luck.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:15:07 GMT, "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com
(remove_s)> wrote:

>Here's something http://www.pctechbytes.com/dell.htm
>
>Neil
>"zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
>news:o 7sqi1l50l1hg9nocc4tvkla2ck00im9fd@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>> My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
>>>restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
>>>clicked-properties-format.
>>>Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
>>>due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
>>>
>>>Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
>>>Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
>>>set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
>>>Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Hi,
>> This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
>> and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
>> think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
>> someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
>> Thanks in advance.

September 18, 2005 7:24:33 PM

Yep, best of luck.

Let us know what happens
> Thank you very much for your help. I will try that today.Wish me luck.
>

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:15:07 GMT, "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com
> (remove_s)> wrote:
>
>>Here's something http://www.pctechbytes.com/dell.htm
>>
>>Neil
>>"zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
>>news:o 7sqi1l50l1hg9nocc4tvkla2ck00im9fd@4ax.com...

>>> Hi,
>>> This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
>>> and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
>>> think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
>>> someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
>>> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 11:52:36 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:31:10 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:

>How do I change the bios? It starts in safety mode-then re-boots
>again due to windows setup can not run in safety mode. It will not
>even show a desk top.So if you can explain this bios procedure.I would
>be thankful.
>Thanks again for your help.

You'll need to check your motherboard manual. You may even see a
message onscreen...I have to hold down the DEL key.

You get into the BIOS very early in the boot process, well before
windows loads.

You will need to find the option that changes the boot order...set
your CD/DVD drive to be first.

--
Cheers,

Guy

September 20, 2005 3:11:36 PM

Hi,
I had to remove C:\ from the bios for windows to work.After it
installed,I had to change the boot order back to original.
Now my friends computer is normal again.
Thanks to everyone who helped !
My friend is trying out forte agent once he gets the settings from
optimum online.His kids are so happy!
Thanks again.

!