xp home help with format c:

Hi,
My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
clicked-properties-format.
Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.

Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
Thanks in advance.
10 answers Last reply
More about home format

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    > My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
    >restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
    >clicked-properties-format.
    >Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
    >due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
    >
    >Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
    >Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
    >set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
    >Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
    >Thanks in advance.

    Perhaps you should read the Norton AV manual first. When it detects a
    "bloodhound" virus, it really means "I've found something suspicious that
    may or may not be a virus." I'd suggest submitting the infected file to
    some other AV vendors for confirmation. Heck, just upload it to
    Virustotal.com and see what you've got. You may be unable to disinfect it
    because you're not actually infected with anything.
    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Change the BIOS to boot from the CD and format from there. If it's a
    restore disc, it may reformat automatically.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Hi,
    How do I change the bios? It starts in safety mode-then re-boots
    again due to windows setup can not run in safety mode. It will not
    even show a desk top.So if you can explain this bios procedure.I would
    be thankful.
    Thanks again for your help.

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:36:43 +0100, Dr Teeth
    <no.email.here.please@tardis.com> wrote:

    >Change the BIOS to boot from the CD and format from there. If it's a
    >restore disc, it may reformat automatically.

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    > My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
    >restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
    >clicked-properties-format.
    >Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
    >due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
    >
    >Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
    >Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
    >set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
    >Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
    >Thanks in advance.

    Hi,
    This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
    and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
    think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
    someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
    Thanks in advance.

    If it is a Dell then it may be already set to boot from the CD. Try putting
    the CD in and reboot then watch the screen for a message that says "Boot
    from CD press any key". Failing that the instructions for the Dell should
    tell you how to carry out the restore procedure. Some say press the F10 key
    during boot and that will run the routing and prompt for the CD when
    necessary.

    Neil

    Here's something http://www.pctechbytes.com/dell.htm

    Neil
    "zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >> My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
    >>restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
    >>clicked-properties-format.
    >>Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
    >>due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
    >>
    >>Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
    >>Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
    >>set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
    >>Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Hi,
    > This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
    > and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
    > think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
    > someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Thank you very much for your help. I will try that today.Wish me luck.

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:15:07 GMT, "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com
    (remove_s)> wrote:

    >Here's something http://www.pctechbytes.com/dell.htm
    >
    >Neil
    >"zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:23 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>> My friend has a computer infected with bloodhound. I tired system
    >>>restore but that did not work. Then my computer-right
    >>>clicked-properties-format.
    >>>Answered yes to everything. Then came up a message-could not complete
    >>>due to disk in use-do you want to dump? I said yes.
    >>>
    >>>Now then installation disk was in the cd rom the whole time.
    >>>Now it keeps rebooting to safe mode and windows keeps re-starting the
    >>>set-up. I was in the administrate's profile also.
    >>>Any other ways to do this? Except buy a new hard drive.
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >> Hi,
    >> This is a dell computer. It came with the windows xp home edition
    >> and other disks. So I would assume it is a restore disk.Am I right to
    >> think this way? I do not know how to get into the bios settings. Can
    >> someone please explain this so I can help out my friend?
    >> Thanks in advance.

    Yep, best of luck.

    Let us know what happens

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:31:10 GMT, zubzero <subzero@itscold.net> wrote:

    >How do I change the bios? It starts in safety mode-then re-boots
    >again due to windows setup can not run in safety mode. It will not
    >even show a desk top.So if you can explain this bios procedure.I would
    >be thankful.
    >Thanks again for your help.

    You'll need to check your motherboard manual. You may even see a
    message onscreen...I have to hold down the DEL key.

    You get into the BIOS very early in the boot process, well before
    windows loads.

    You will need to find the option that changes the boot order...set
    your CD/DVD drive to be first.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Hi,
    I had to remove C:\ from the bios for windows to work.After it
    installed,I had to change the boot order back to original.
    Now my friends computer is normal again.
    Thanks to everyone who helped !
    My friend is trying out forte agent once he gets the settings from
    optimum online.His kids are so happy!
    Thanks again.

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:24:33 GMT, "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com
    (remove_s)> wrote:

    >Yep, best of luck.
    >
    >Let us know what happens
    >Neil
    >"zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
    >> Thank you very much for your help. I will try that today.Wish me luck.
    >>

    >> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:15:07 GMT, "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com
    >> (remove_s)> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Here's something http://www.pctechbytes.com/dell.htm
    >>>
    >>>Neil