Help and Support center awol

I am unable to start the help and support center, I have viewed the previous
posts and tried the solutions, to no avail
I have carried out a repair install of Xp from the original cd, but still
nothing
If I have Task manager open when initialising Help and Suppot the following
occurs
Helpctr.exe runs, HelpSVC.exe runs then after about 2 seconds Helpctr.exe
disappears.
Ramesh MS-MVP wrote, run the following commands
helpctr -regserver
regsvr32 itss
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 jscript
all were successful apart from
helpctr -regserver, which generated nothing.

I hope this makes sense ( to someone ) any ideas how to fix it ??

Thx in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about help support center awol

    Other options

    Fix Windows XP Help:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

    Reinstalling Help Center:

    Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
    PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
    your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
    point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
    CD (if available).

    Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "allhay" <allhay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am unable to start the help and support center, I have viewed the
    >previous
    > posts and tried the solutions, to no avail
    > I have carried out a repair install of Xp from the original cd, but still
    > nothing
    > If I have Task manager open when initialising Help and Suppot the
    > following
    > occurs
    > Helpctr.exe runs, HelpSVC.exe runs then after about 2 seconds Helpctr.exe
    > disappears.
    > Ramesh MS-MVP wrote, run the following commands
    > helpctr -regserver
    > regsvr32 itss
    > regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    > regsvr32 jscript
    > all were successful apart from
    > helpctr -regserver, which generated nothing.
    >
    > I hope this makes sense ( to someone ) any ideas how to fix it ??
    >
    > Thx in advance

    Tried the following

    Fix Windows XP Help:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

    couldn't repair, not the problem

    Reinstalling Help Center:
    Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
    PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
    your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
    point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
    CD (if available).

    Installed OK, rebooted, symptoms still the same !

    Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

    Couldn't get this command line to run, appreciate an explanation (for a
    novice) of this step .
    cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Other options
    >
    > Fix Windows XP Help:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    >
    > Reinstalling Help Center:
    >
    > Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
    > PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
    > your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
    > point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
    > CD (if available).
    >
    > Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "allhay" <allhay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am unable to start the help and support center, I have viewed the
    > >previous
    > > posts and tried the solutions, to no avail
    > > I have carried out a repair install of Xp from the original cd, but still
    > > nothing
    > > If I have Task manager open when initialising Help and Suppot the
    > > following
    > > occurs
    > > Helpctr.exe runs, HelpSVC.exe runs then after about 2 seconds Helpctr.exe
    > > disappears.
    > > Ramesh MS-MVP wrote, run the following commands
    > > helpctr -regserver
    > > regsvr32 itss
    > > regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    > > regsvr32 jscript
    > > all were successful apart from
    > > helpctr -regserver, which generated nothing.
    > >
    > > I hope this makes sense ( to someone ) any ideas how to fix it ??
    > >
    > > Thx in advance

    For the last part, you actually need to open a Command Prompt window and
    type those commands. Or, copy the commands to Notepad, save as a batch file
    (helpfix.bat), save, and double-click it.

    --

    > Tried the following
    >
    > Fix Windows XP Help:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    >
    > couldn't repair, not the problem
    >

    > Reinstalling Help Center:
    > Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show
    > as
    > PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
    > your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
    > point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed
    > XP
    > CD (if available).
    >
    > Installed OK, rebooted, symptoms still the same !
    >
    > Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
    >
    > Couldn't get this command line to run, appreciate an explanation (for a
    > novice) of this step .
    > cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Other options
    >>
    >> Fix Windows XP Help:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    >>
    >> Reinstalling Help Center:
    >>
    >> Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show
    >> as
    >> PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install".
    >> Insert
    >> your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure
    >> point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed
    >> XP
    >> CD (if available).
    >>
    >> Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "allhay" <allhay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am unable to start the help and support center, I have viewed the
    >> >previous
    >> > posts and tried the solutions, to no avail
    >> > I have carried out a repair install of Xp from the original cd, but
    >> > still
    >> > nothing
    >> > If I have Task manager open when initialising Help and Suppot the
    >> > following
    >> > occurs
    >> > Helpctr.exe runs, HelpSVC.exe runs then after about 2 seconds
    >> > Helpctr.exe
    >> > disappears.
    >> > Ramesh MS-MVP wrote, run the following commands
    >> > helpctr -regserver
    >> > regsvr32 itss
    >> > regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    >> > regsvr32 jscript
    >> > all were successful apart from
    >> > helpctr -regserver, which generated nothing.
    >> >
    >> > I hope this makes sense ( to someone ) any ideas how to fix it ??
    >> >
    >> > Thx in advance

Support Microsoft Windows XP