I am unable to start the help and support center, I have viewed the previous
posts and tried the solutions, to no avail
I have carried out a repair install of Xp from the original cd, but still
nothing
If I have Task manager open when initialising Help and Suppot the following
occurs
Helpctr.exe runs, HelpSVC.exe runs then after about 2 seconds Helpctr.exe
disappears.
Ramesh MS-MVP wrote, run the following commands
helpctr -regserver
regsvr32 itss
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 jscript
all were successful apart from
helpctr -regserver, which generated nothing.

I hope this makes sense ( to someone ) any ideas how to fix it ??

Thx in advance

Other options

Fix Windows XP Help:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

Reinstalling Help Center:

Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
CD (if available).

Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"allhay" <allhay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to start the help and support center, I have viewed the
>previous
> posts and tried the solutions, to no avail
> I have carried out a repair install of Xp from the original cd, but still
> nothing
> If I have Task manager open when initialising Help and Suppot the
> following
> occurs
> Helpctr.exe runs, HelpSVC.exe runs then after about 2 seconds Helpctr.exe
> disappears.
> Ramesh MS-MVP wrote, run the following commands
> helpctr -regserver
> regsvr32 itss
> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
> regsvr32 jscript
> all were successful apart from
> helpctr -regserver, which generated nothing.
>
> I hope this makes sense ( to someone ) any ideas how to fix it ??
>
> Thx in advance

Tried the following

Fix Windows XP Help:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

couldn't repair, not the problem

Reinstalling Help Center:
Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
CD (if available).

Installed OK, rebooted, symptoms still the same !

Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

Couldn't get this command line to run, appreciate an explanation (for a
novice) of this step .
cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Other options
>
> Fix Windows XP Help:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
>
> Reinstalling Help Center:
>
> Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
> PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
> your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
> point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
> CD (if available).
>
> Rebuilding Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "allhay" <allhay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am unable to start the help and support center, I have viewed the
> >previous
> > posts and tried the solutions, to no avail
> > I have carried out a repair install of Xp from the original cd, but still
> > nothing
> > If I have Task manager open when initialising Help and Suppot the
> > following
> > occurs
> > Helpctr.exe runs, HelpSVC.exe runs then after about 2 seconds Helpctr.exe
> > disappears.
> > Ramesh MS-MVP wrote, run the following commands
> > helpctr -regserver
> > regsvr32 itss
> > regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
> > regsvr32 jscript
> > all were successful apart from
> > helpctr -regserver, which generated nothing.
> >
> > I hope this makes sense ( to someone ) any ideas how to fix it ??
> >
> > Thx in advance

For the last part, you actually need to open a Command Prompt window and
type those commands. Or, copy the commands to Notepad, save as a batch file
(helpfix.bat), save, and double-click it.