i730 Reception Problem Fix - Motorola Pays For It

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

My wife has had reception problems with her i730 -- dropped calls, loss of
connection, and poor reception inside some buildings and at our house --
places where I have not had reception problems with my older model Motorola
Nextel phone.

So, a few days ago, I brought her i730 into the nearest Nextel Company Owned
Service & Repair Center. You can find the one nearest you at
http://www.nextel.com/phones_plans/retailers.shtml

The Technician told me that Motorola issued a service bulletin (or something
like that) awhile ago for this problem and that it is usually fixed by
adding a "ground tab" or "ground clip." I left the i730 with him, did a few
errands and 45 mins. later picked it up. There was no charge as Motorola
paid the service fee.

The fix made a world of difference. My wife has a 60 mile commute along
Interstate Highways where Nextel has coverage, but whereshe had reception
problems in certain areas. She no longer has the reception problems in the
areas along these highways where she previously did, and she now has vastly
improved reception inside buildings.

If you have an i730, bring it in for the adding of this ground tab/clip.
Also, while it is in, have the Technician check to see that you have the
latest i730 GPS software update (also at no charge).

I do not know if the ground tab/clip fix and the GPS software update are
free if you go to a Nextel reseller offering authorized service and repair
(as compared to a Nextel company owned service & repair center). Ask in
advance.

For those of you that are in other Nextel groups, please post this info
there as it could help others having problems with their i730 phones.

Sandy
17 answers Last reply
More about i730 reception problem motorola pays
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:37:22 -0500, sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:

    >My wife has had reception problems with her i730 -- dropped calls, loss of
    >connection, and poor reception inside some buildings and at our house --
    >places where I have not had reception problems with my older model Motorola
    >Nextel phone.
    >
    >So, a few days ago, I brought her i730 into the nearest Nextel Company Owned
    >Service & Repair Center. You can find the one nearest you at
    >http://www.nextel.com/phones_plans/retailers.shtml
    >
    >The Technician told me that Motorola issued a service bulletin (or something
    >like that) awhile ago for this problem and that it is usually fixed by
    >adding a "ground tab" or "ground clip." I left the i730 with him, did a few
    >errands and 45 mins. later picked it up. There was no charge as Motorola
    >paid the service fee.
    >
    >The fix made a world of difference. My wife has a 60 mile commute along
    >Interstate Highways where Nextel has coverage, but whereshe had reception
    >problems in certain areas. She no longer has the reception problems in the
    >areas along these highways where she previously did, and she now has vastly
    >improved reception inside buildings.
    >
    >If you have an i730, bring it in for the adding of this ground tab/clip.
    >Also, while it is in, have the Technician check to see that you have the
    >latest i730 GPS software update (also at no charge).
    >
    >I do not know if the ground tab/clip fix and the GPS software update are
    >free if you go to a Nextel reseller offering authorized service and repair
    >(as compared to a Nextel company owned service & repair center). Ask in
    >advance.
    >
    >For those of you that are in other Nextel groups, please post this info
    >there as it could help others having problems with their i730 phones.
    >
    >Sandy


    Here's some more info on this. This service bulletin, which was posted at
    the Howardforums in Aug. 2004, may be the service bulletin to which the
    Technician was referring:


    iSB 04-130 i730 RF Improvements.doc

    Memo To: MICC Operators and their Authorized Representatives
    Applies To: All US Markets and International (Non-US) Markets
    From: iDEN Subscriber Group
    Subject: RF Improvements
    Kits affected: i730 phones
    __________________________________________________

    Purpose
    The purpose of this bulletin is to provide instructions regarding a new
    product enhancement that could improve the RF performance of the i730 phone.

    Description
    Through recent product improvement research, Motorola has discovered that in
    some cases, affixing a 3-prong metal contact to the “Power Amplifier (PA)
    Shield (SH2)” on the main board may enhance the performance of the i730
    phone by reducing the occurrence of No Service/Registration, Drop Calls, and
    Distorted Audio. While not all phones we tested experienced an improvement,
    we are recommending that you implement the following process on phones that
    come in for service.

    Resolution
    If you are an Authorized Field Service location, we suggest that you attach
    this metal contact to i730 models manufactured prior to June, 2004 (Please
    see below for sample Serial Number date chart). Phones that were
    manufactured after June 2004 or sent to Motorola for repair already have the
    contact added therefore; there is no need to add the metal contact to these
    phones.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned at bottom
    of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would be
    appreciated.


    <sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:sbt1115e3nogq9m7od5n4gogl90m780or0@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:37:22 -0500, sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    > >My wife has had reception problems with her i730 -- dropped calls, loss
    of
    > >connection, and poor reception inside some buildings and at our house --
    > >places where I have not had reception problems with my older model
    Motorola
    > >Nextel phone.
    > >
    > >So, a few days ago, I brought her i730 into the nearest Nextel Company
    Owned
    > >Service & Repair Center. You can find the one nearest you at
    > >http://www.nextel.com/phones_plans/retailers.shtml
    > >
    > >The Technician told me that Motorola issued a service bulletin (or
    something
    > >like that) awhile ago for this problem and that it is usually fixed by
    > >adding a "ground tab" or "ground clip." I left the i730 with him, did a
    few
    > >errands and 45 mins. later picked it up. There was no charge as Motorola
    > >paid the service fee.
    > >
    > >The fix made a world of difference. My wife has a 60 mile commute along
    > >Interstate Highways where Nextel has coverage, but whereshe had reception
    > >problems in certain areas. She no longer has the reception problems in
    the
    > >areas along these highways where she previously did, and she now has
    vastly
    > >improved reception inside buildings.
    > >
    > >If you have an i730, bring it in for the adding of this ground tab/clip.
    > >Also, while it is in, have the Technician check to see that you have the
    > >latest i730 GPS software update (also at no charge).
    > >
    > >I do not know if the ground tab/clip fix and the GPS software update are
    > >free if you go to a Nextel reseller offering authorized service and
    repair
    > >(as compared to a Nextel company owned service & repair center). Ask in
    > >advance.
    > >
    > >For those of you that are in other Nextel groups, please post this info
    > >there as it could help others having problems with their i730 phones.
    > >
    > >Sandy
    >
    >
    > Here's some more info on this. This service bulletin, which was posted at
    > the Howardforums in Aug. 2004, may be the service bulletin to which the
    > Technician was referring:
    >
    >
    > iSB 04-130 i730 RF Improvements.doc
    >
    > Memo To: MICC Operators and their Authorized Representatives
    > Applies To: All US Markets and International (Non-US) Markets
    > From: iDEN Subscriber Group
    > Subject: RF Improvements
    > Kits affected: i730 phones
    > __________________________________________________
    >
    > Purpose
    > The purpose of this bulletin is to provide instructions regarding a new
    > product enhancement that could improve the RF performance of the i730
    phone.
    >
    > Description
    > Through recent product improvement research, Motorola has discovered that
    in
    > some cases, affixing a 3-prong metal contact to the "Power Amplifier (PA)
    > Shield (SH2)" on the main board may enhance the performance of the i730
    > phone by reducing the occurrence of No Service/Registration, Drop Calls,
    and
    > Distorted Audio. While not all phones we tested experienced an
    improvement,
    > we are recommending that you implement the following process on phones
    that
    > come in for service.
    >
    > Resolution
    > If you are an Authorized Field Service location, we suggest that you
    attach
    > this metal contact to i730 models manufactured prior to June, 2004 (Please
    > see below for sample Serial Number date chart). Phones that were
    > manufactured after June 2004 or sent to Motorola for repair already have
    the
    > contact added therefore; there is no need to add the metal contact to
    these
    > phones.
    >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In message <8qydnRkB5-VtI4_fRVn-gw@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    <pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:

    >Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned at bottom
    >of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would be
    >appreciated.

    I have the bulletin kicking around, I can email copies to anyone that
    wants a copy.


    --
    "NEWS SERVERS ARE NOT POWER BY HAMSTERS"
    -- rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:38:12 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    wrote:

    >In message <8qydnRkB5-VtI4_fRVn-gw@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    ><pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned at bottom
    >>of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would be
    >>appreciated.
    >
    >I have the bulletin kicking around, I can email copies to anyone that
    >wants a copy.

    I posted all that I found on the WWW.

    Please send it to me.

    Sandy

    Sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net

    Remove the XYZ
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Go to motorola.com, find customer support for Iden, call them. If you
    are the original owner and have had the phone for less than 1 year, they
    will send Fedex to pick it up, repair or replace it (I got a brand new
    phone) in 2 to 3 days. They even pay the priority shipping. If you
    aren't the original owner but the phone is still under warranty (1 year
    old) they will still repair or replace it but it will cost you $55.

    sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:38:12 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>In message <8qydnRkB5-VtI4_fRVn-gw@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    >><pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned at bottom
    >>>of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would be
    >>>appreciated.
    >>
    >>I have the bulletin kicking around, I can email copies to anyone that
    >>wants a copy.
    >
    >
    > I posted all that I found on the WWW.
    >
    > Please send it to me.
    >
    > Sandy
    >
    > Sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net
    >
    > Remove the XYZ
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In message <Fa6Rd.50$zn1.28@bignews6.bellsouth.net> Michael Greene
    <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Go to motorola.com, find customer support for Iden, call them. If you
    >are the original owner and have had the phone for less than 1 year, they
    >will send Fedex to pick it up, repair or replace it (I got a brand new
    >phone) in 2 to 3 days. They even pay the priority shipping. If you
    >aren't the original owner but the phone is still under warranty (1 year
    >old) they will still repair or replace it but it will cost you $55.

    While true, you can get it done free even if you're beyond the warranty
    period if you contact Nextel directly (assuming you're in Nextel
    territory)


    --
    Microsoft: Putting the PR into proprietary.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:08:51 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    wrote:

    >In message <Fa6Rd.50$zn1.28@bignews6.bellsouth.net> Michael Greene
    ><wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Go to motorola.com, find customer support for Iden, call them. If you
    >>are the original owner and have had the phone for less than 1 year, they
    >>will send Fedex to pick it up, repair or replace it (I got a brand new
    >>phone) in 2 to 3 days. They even pay the priority shipping. If you
    >>aren't the original owner but the phone is still under warranty (1 year
    >>old) they will still repair or replace it but it will cost you $55.
    >
    >While true, you can get it done free even if you're beyond the warranty
    >period if you contact Nextel directly (assuming you're in Nextel
    >territory)

    Michael is right. My wife's i730 was beyond the 1 year warranty period (she
    has had it for 14 mos) and the fix was free at the Nextel Company-Owned
    Service & Repair Center, as I wrote at the beginning of this thread.

    Sandy
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In message <b24c119goae5d1ojn8qnnobra0274242tb@4ax.com>
    sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:08:51 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In message <Fa6Rd.50$zn1.28@bignews6.bellsouth.net> Michael Greene
    >><wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Go to motorola.com, find customer support for Iden, call them. If you
    >>>are the original owner and have had the phone for less than 1 year, they
    >>>will send Fedex to pick it up, repair or replace it (I got a brand new
    >>>phone) in 2 to 3 days. They even pay the priority shipping. If you
    >>>aren't the original owner but the phone is still under warranty (1 year
    >>>old) they will still repair or replace it but it will cost you $55.
    >>
    >>While true, you can get it done free even if you're beyond the warranty
    >>period if you contact Nextel directly (assuming you're in Nextel
    >>territory)
    >
    >Michael is right. My wife's i730 was beyond the 1 year warranty period (she
    >has had it for 14 mos) and the fix was free at the Nextel Company-Owned
    >Service & Repair Center, as I wrote at the beginning of this thread.

    huh? Michael said that it costs $55 (through Motorola directly) -- I'm
    the one saying it's free at Nextel repair centers (which seems to be
    what you're agreeing with)


    --
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful...They never
    stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and
    our people, and neither do we.
    -- George W. Bush 08/05/2004
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:54:57 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    wrote:

    >In message <b24c119goae5d1ojn8qnnobra0274242tb@4ax.com>
    >sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:08:51 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>In message <Fa6Rd.50$zn1.28@bignews6.bellsouth.net> Michael Greene
    >>><wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Go to motorola.com, find customer support for Iden, call them. If you
    >>>>are the original owner and have had the phone for less than 1 year, they
    >>>>will send Fedex to pick it up, repair or replace it (I got a brand new
    >>>>phone) in 2 to 3 days. They even pay the priority shipping. If you
    >>>>aren't the original owner but the phone is still under warranty (1 year
    >>>>old) they will still repair or replace it but it will cost you $55.
    >>>
    >>>While true, you can get it done free even if you're beyond the warranty
    >>>period if you contact Nextel directly (assuming you're in Nextel
    >>>territory)
    >>
    >>Michael is right. My wife's i730 was beyond the 1 year warranty period (she
    >>has had it for 14 mos) and the fix was free at the Nextel Company-Owned
    >>Service & Repair Center, as I wrote at the beginning of this thread.
    >
    >huh? Michael said that it costs $55 (through Motorola directly) -- I'm
    >the one saying it's free at Nextel repair centers (which seems to be
    >what you're agreeing with)

    Yes! He's right again, that DevilsPGD sure knows what he's talking about!

    Sorry, I made a mistake.

    Sandy
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In message <880d11lt5dmkfgi4nujdna2ro5l45itqge@4ax.com>
    sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:

    >>huh? Michael said that it costs $55 (through Motorola directly) -- I'm
    >>the one saying it's free at Nextel repair centers (which seems to be
    >>what you're agreeing with)
    >
    >Yes! He's right again, that DevilsPGD sure knows what he's talking about!
    >
    >Sorry, I made a mistake.

    No problem -- I'm half just trying to make sure I'm not confused :)


    --
    For recreational use only.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    DEVILSPGD I would appreciate a copy of the bulletin. I am not having issues
    with mine, but I am a very, very light user. I bought the i730 just to use
    for DC on the weekends, and finfd I still just use my TMOBILE phone anyway.
    But if my serial number falls into that time, then I would like to get it
    fixed anyway.
    Send to:

    s a l e s d e p t @ C o m c a s tdot n e t (Tighten Up My Formation)


    "DevilsPGD" <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
    news:gfq511pipc40sdkmsi5f4np1na1d4049s7@news.octanews.com...
    > In message <8qydnRkB5-VtI4_fRVn-gw@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    > <pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned at
    bottom
    > >of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would be
    > >appreciated.
    >
    > I have the bulletin kicking around, I can email copies to anyone that
    > wants a copy.
    >
    >
    > --
    > "NEWS SERVERS ARE NOT POWER BY HAMSTERS"
    > -- rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In message <_6udnVhUBsi_yoXfRVn-sg@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    <pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:

    >DEVILSPGD I would appreciate a copy of the bulletin. I am not having issues
    >with mine, but I am a very, very light user. I bought the i730 just to use
    >for DC on the weekends, and finfd I still just use my TMOBILE phone anyway.
    >But if my serial number falls into that time, then I would like to get it
    >fixed anyway.
    >Send to:
    >
    >s a l e s d e p t @ C o m c a s tdot n e t (Tighten Up My Formation)

    I'll tighten it good :)


    --
    Americans couldn't be any more self-absorbed if they were made from equal
    parts water and papertowel.
    -- Dennis Miller
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I had no luck with Nextel. If they will fix it for free, then great, if
    not go through Motorola.

    sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:54:57 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>In message <b24c119goae5d1ojn8qnnobra0274242tb@4ax.com>
    >>sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:08:51 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>In message <Fa6Rd.50$zn1.28@bignews6.bellsouth.net> Michael Greene
    >>>><wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Go to motorola.com, find customer support for Iden, call them. If you
    >>>>>are the original owner and have had the phone for less than 1 year, they
    >>>>>will send Fedex to pick it up, repair or replace it (I got a brand new
    >>>>>phone) in 2 to 3 days. They even pay the priority shipping. If you
    >>>>>aren't the original owner but the phone is still under warranty (1 year
    >>>>>old) they will still repair or replace it but it will cost you $55.
    >>>>
    >>>>While true, you can get it done free even if you're beyond the warranty
    >>>>period if you contact Nextel directly (assuming you're in Nextel
    >>>>territory)
    >>>
    >>>Michael is right. My wife's i730 was beyond the 1 year warranty period (she
    >>>has had it for 14 mos) and the fix was free at the Nextel Company-Owned
    >>>Service & Repair Center, as I wrote at the beginning of this thread.
    >>
    >>huh? Michael said that it costs $55 (through Motorola directly) -- I'm
    >>the one saying it's free at Nextel repair centers (which seems to be
    >>what you're agreeing with)
    >
    >
    > Yes! He's right again, that DevilsPGD sure knows what he's talking about!
    >
    > Sorry, I made a mistake.
    >
    > Sandy
    >
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:49:58 -0500, Michael Greene <wgreene63@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >I had no luck with Nextel.
    [snip]

    Did you go to a Nextel Company-Owned Service & Repair Center?
    They will fix it without charging you because they get paid by Motorola for
    fixing your i730.

    Sandy
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In article <gfq511pipc40sdkmsi5f4np1na1d4049s7@news.octanews.com>,
    DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    > In message <8qydnRkB5-VtI4_fRVn-gw@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    > <pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned at bottom
    > >of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would be
    > >appreciated.
    >
    > I have the bulletin kicking around, I can email copies to anyone that
    > wants a copy.

    I would also like to have a copy of that. I just got a i730 about a
    month ago from Nextel directly (not a reseller) but sometimes I get some
    of the symptoms mentioned earlier such as dropped calls. I would like
    to know if my phone has already had the modifications made or if I
    should take it in.

    Please email me at: jonfia @ hawaii dot rr dot com

    Thanks

    --
    Aloha

    Fia
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In message
    <jonfiaNOSPAM-CE9A52.21425326022005@orngca-news03.socal.rr.com> Fia
    <jonfiaNOSPAM@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

    >In article <gfq511pipc40sdkmsi5f4np1na1d4049s7@news.octanews.com>,
    > DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <8qydnRkB5-VtI4_fRVn-gw@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    >> <pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned at bottom
    >> >of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would be
    >> >appreciated.
    >>
    >> I have the bulletin kicking around, I can email copies to anyone that
    >> wants a copy.
    >
    >I would also like to have a copy of that. I just got a i730 about a
    >month ago from Nextel directly (not a reseller) but sometimes I get some
    >of the symptoms mentioned earlier such as dropped calls. I would like
    >to know if my phone has already had the modifications made or if I
    >should take it in.
    >
    >Please email me at: jonfia @ hawaii dot rr dot com
    >
    >Thanks

    Sure, I'll send it off shortly.


    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then just a kind word.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    DevilsPGD Wrote:
    > In message
    > <jonfiaNOSPAM-CE9A52.21425326022005@orngca-news03.socal.rr.com> Fia
    > <jonfiaNOSPAM@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <gfq511pipc40sdkmsi5f4np1na1d4049s7@news.octanews.com>,
    > > DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In message <8qydnRkB5-VtI4_fRVn-gw@comcast.com> "PDA Man"
    > >> <pdamant@pdaman.net> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >Do you have the example of the Serial number date code (mentioned
    > at bottom
    > >> >of bulletin) so others can check and see if we have it or no? Would
    > be
    > >> >appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> I have the bulletin kicking around, I can email copies to anyone
    > that
    > >> wants a copy.
    > >
    > >I would also like to have a copy of that. I just got a i730 about a
    > >month ago from Nextel directly (not a reseller) but sometimes I get
    > some
    > >of the symptoms mentioned earlier such as dropped calls. I would
    > like
    > >to know if my phone has already had the modifications made or if I
    > >should take it in.
    > >
    > >Please email me at: jonfia @ hawaii dot rr dot com
    > >
    > >Thanks
    >
    > >Sure, I'll send it off shortly.
    >
    > could you please email it to me too, i just got an i730 used. but
    > maybe nextel will help me if i need it. blackviolet@rcn.com


    --
    lunablue
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
    View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t167018.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Nextel Motorola Internet Service Providers