Unable to access a shared folder on RAID array over network

September 19, 2005 3:34:19 AM

HI. Can anyone help with this problem ?

I have a raid array in my PC consisting of 2x 160gig SATA HD.
I am using windows XP Pro with simple file sharing enabled.

I have shared out a folder on the raid drive ( Share name: music ) and a
folder on a slave IDE drive ( share name: video ).
Both folders appear in "My Network Places" on all PCs attached to my network
( simple home network, no domains )
If I double click "video" on any PC I can access the folder and see the
files inside.
If I double click "music" on any PC through "My Network Places\Entire
Network\Microsoft Windows Network\Workgroup\Desktop\", even on the PC that
contains the raid array ( desktop ), I get an error dialogue which says
"music is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator etc etc ".

Strangely, Under My Network Places I can see the two shares and on the PC
which contains the raid array I can double click the folder icon for music
and access the files inside.

I have tried sharing various other folders. I can share any of them on
either my master or secondary IDE drives but none of them on the RAID array.

Anyone know why this is and how I can make it work ??

TIA.
September 19, 2005 4:36:07 AM

"" wrote:
> HI. Can anyone help with this problem ?
>
> I have a raid array in my PC consisting of 2x 160gig SATA HD.
> I am using windows XP Pro with simple file sharing enabled.
>
> I have shared out a folder on the raid drive ( Share name:
> music ) and a
> folder on a slave IDE drive ( share name: video ).
> Both folders appear in "My Network Places" on all PCs attached
> to my network
> ( simple home network, no domains )
> If I double click "video" on any PC I can access the folder
> and see the
> files inside.
> If I double click "music" on any PC through "My Network
> PlacesEntire
> NetworkMicrosoft Windows NetworkWorkgroupDesktop", even on
> the PC that
> contains the raid array ( desktop ), I get an error dialogue
> which says
> "music is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this network
> resource. Contact the administrator etc etc ".
>
> Strangely, Under My Network Places I can see the two shares
> and on the PC
> which contains the raid array I can double click the folder
> icon for music
> and access the files inside.
>
> I have tried sharing various other folders. I can share any of
> them on
> either my master or secondary IDE drives but none of them on
> the RAID array.
>
> Anyone know why this is and how I can make it work ??
>
> TIA.

Is everyone allowed to read the folders? (This refers to NTFS
permissons)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Unable-acce...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1414979
September 20, 2005 12:14:46 AM

Yes, everyone has full permissions.

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > HI. Can anyone help with this problem ?
> >
> > I have a raid array in my PC consisting of 2x 160gig SATA HD.
> > I am using windows XP Pro with simple file sharing enabled.
> >
> > I have shared out a folder on the raid drive ( Share name:
> > music ) and a
> > folder on a slave IDE drive ( share name: video ).
> > Both folders appear in "My Network Places" on all PCs attached
> > to my network
> > ( simple home network, no domains )
> > If I double click "video" on any PC I can access the folder
> > and see the
> > files inside.
> > If I double click "music" on any PC through "My Network
> > PlacesEntire
> > NetworkMicrosoft Windows NetworkWorkgroupDesktop", even on
> > the PC that
> > contains the raid array ( desktop ), I get an error dialogue
> > which says
> > "music is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> > this network
> > resource. Contact the administrator etc etc ".
> >
> > Strangely, Under My Network Places I can see the two shares
> > and on the PC
> > which contains the raid array I can double click the folder
> > icon for music
> > and access the files inside.
> >
> > I have tried sharing various other folders. I can share any of
> > them on
> > either my master or secondary IDE drives but none of them on
> > the RAID array.
> >
> > Anyone know why this is and how I can make it work ??
> >
> > TIA.
>
> Is everyone allowed to read the folders? (This refers to NTFS
> permissons)

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Unable-acce...
December 7, 2007 9:12:58 PM

Hi, I was wondering if you found a solution to your problem. I have the exactly same situation also. Thanks.

aj

!