Need Windows XP help -- badly

I need to defrag windows installation drive D:/ because I have made a lot
of software changes, removal of software that is not used and installation
of many games and game demos, and some utilities.

I opened the widows defragmenter and none of the buttons say anything
so I do not know what to click, same in the drop down menu.

I opened add/remove programs to click add/remove windows components
and I get the error, stop message:

message box:

Windows XP setup
[ ! ]
Setup library msdtcstp.dll could not be loaded, or function OcEntry cold not be found.
Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e.
[ OK ] click

new message box:

windows XP setup
[ X ]
The application could not be initialized
[ OK ] click

After this mess I try to open the Windows help file, no joy and no help file.
I definitely do not want to use "system restore" because I never created a
"restore point" as long as I have owned XP, maybe two years now.

Anyone know what on Earth I should do? ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

TIA,

--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK,

Win XP creates it's own restore points without any help from you. So if
you've been using XP for 2 years, you've got a lot of restore points to
choose from.
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.
With "Restore my Computer to an earlier time" selected, select 'Next' button
and you will see a calendar that you can scroll thro'. Every date that is in
bold type has a restore point or points there.
Choose a restore point that you consider is before your 'hiccup's and go for
it
Hope this helps

dfrog