Microphone

I have a new desktop, running XP Pro. The motherboard is Gigabyte
GA-8191SP-DUO-Pro.
I am unable to receive sound through the microphone.
I have tested the system in Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Voice and the
hardware test is successful, but no sound is received thru' the mic. I
notice that the Advanced tab is shaded.
I have tried using 2 separate microphones, both of which work on another
machine.
Incidentally, I found that when I went to Volume in Sounds & Audio I got the
message 'Cannot execute SndVol32.exe'. I then installed this file from the
XP CD and was then able to run 'Volume'.
Your advice on overcoming the problem would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about microphone

    "David Johnston" wrote:

    > I have a new desktop, running XP Pro. The motherboard is Gigabyte
    > GA-8191SP-DUO-Pro.
    > I am unable to receive sound through the microphone.
    > I have tested the system in Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Voice and the
    > hardware test is successful, but no sound is received thru' the mic. I
    > notice that the Advanced tab is shaded.
    > I have tried using 2 separate microphones, both of which work on another
    > machine.
    > Incidentally, I found that when I went to Volume in Sounds & Audio I got the
    > message 'Cannot execute SndVol32.exe'. I then installed this file from the
    > XP CD and was then able to run 'Volume'.
    > Your advice on overcoming the problem would be appreciated.

    Good work on installing SndVol32.exe.

    But the problem is not with Windows, its either with your microphone (if
    it's a USB mic) or your volume settings (if you have the "line-in" kind of
    mic). In either case, go to Control Panel, Performance/Maintenance, System
    Information. Then go to Hardware tab and click "device manager." For
    repairing a USB mic, go to the USB section in the list and expand it by
    clicking on the '+'. Your microphone should be listed. If not, install
    drivers from your mic's cd. If so, double click the item and click
    troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can't find a solution (which usually
    happens to me), go to the drivers tab in the properties dialogue and click
    uninstall driver. Then re-install with your USB mic's driver CD.

    If you have the "line-in" mic, then double click on the volume icon in the
    taskbar (now that your volume utility is working). Adjust the volume for the
    microphone and then test your sound hardware again. If that doesn't work then
    I don't know what to do.

    -Ken C.
    New Delhi, India

    Thanks for your response. However the mic is a standard mic which plugs into
    the 'mic' socket (next to the speaker socket).
    I have the volume set reasonably high and all other audio is heard clearly.
    The driver is "C-Media Rear Panel Audio".
    Is there any significance in the Advanced tab in Control Panel > Sounds &
    Audio > Voice being shaded?

    "nospamfromken" wrote in message
    news:<2129F93C-5AA9-43C0-A37A-FD35D588A123@microsoft.com>... > > >
    "David Johnston" wrote:
    I have a new desktop, running XP Pro. The motherboard is Gigabyte
    GA-8191SP-DUO-Pro.
    I am unable to receive sound through the microphone.
    I have tested the system in Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Voice and the
    hardware test is successful, but no sound is received thru' the mic.
    I notice that the Advanced tab is shaded.
    I have tried using 2 separate microphones, both of which work on another
    machine.
    Incidentally, I found that when I went to Volume in Sounds & Audio I got the
    message 'Cannot execute SndVol32.exe'. I then installed this file from the
    XP CD and was then able to run 'Volume'.
    Your advice on overcoming the problem would be appreciated.

    or your volume settings (if you have the "line-in" kind of > mic). In either
    case, go to Control Panel, Performance/Maintenance, System > Information.
    Then go to Hardware tab and click "device manager." For > repairing a USB
    mic, go to the USB section in the list and expand it by > clicking on the
    '+'.
    Your microphone should be listed. If not, install > drivers from your mic's
    cd. If so, double click the item and click > troubleshoot. If the
    troubleshooter
    can't find a solution (which usually > happens to me), go to the drivers tab
    in the properties dialogue and click > uninstall driver. Then re-install
    with your
    USB mic's driver CD. > > If you have the "line-in" mic, then double click on
    the volume icon in the > taskbar (now that your volume utility is working).
    Adjust the volume for the > microphone and then test your sound hardware
    again. If that doesn't work then > I don't know what to do. > > -Ken C. >
    New Delhi, India

Microphone Windows XP