win xp boot requires bootable cd

September 18, 2005 9:20:51 PM

I have a new system consisting of a chaintech 9CJS motherboard with a
pentium 4 (3.2GH) processor, 1G of memory, 5 hard drives (3 ide and 2
SATA)a plextor px712A internal atapi dvd burner, a Adaptec SCSI card
which drives a seagate tape drive and a Toshiba CD player

My problem is that windows XP will not boot up unless i put a bootable
CD in either the Plextor or the Toshiba players. I have tried bootcfg
and an mbr refresh without any improvment. If i remove the SCSI card i
can then boot normally. Any suggestions on how to track down and fix
the problem?
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 9:40:02 PM

"jfarrug" wrote:

> I have a new system consisting of a chaintech 9CJS motherboard with a
> pentium 4 (3.2GH) processor, 1G of memory, 5 hard drives (3 ide and 2
> SATA)a plextor px712A internal atapi dvd burner, a Adaptec SCSI card
> which drives a seagate tape drive and a Toshiba CD player
>
> My problem is that windows XP will not boot up unless i put a bootable
> CD in either the Plextor or the Toshiba players. I have tried bootcfg
> and an mbr refresh without any improvment. If i remove the SCSI card i
> can then boot normally. Any suggestions on how to track down and fix
> the problem?

On your first boot screen (the one that says the name of the manufacturer)
look for a key or combination of keys that leads you to the BIOS setup. In
the BIOS setup you can change your boot location from the DVD-ROM drive to C
drive. The problem is is that it isn't smart enough to know where your files
are at; you have to set the boot location before anything can boot up. If
this doesn't work, then reply here.

-Ken C.
New Delhi, India
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:39:45 AM

More than likely the system has a virus which is over-riding the boot
sector. I seen the 2 years ago. You need to remove the drive from the PC
and set it as slave in another. The do a complete anti-vuris scan.

!