NTLDR is missing

Hi,

I've just spent 3 hrs trying to fix my personal laptop without losing my
pictures. After trying to install my daughter's iPod something went terribly
wrong last week and I could not boot up. I got a NTLDR is missing
message. I went online and tryed all the remedies, changed the BIOS to
point to the CD to boot with a copy of the missing boot files, tryed
Repairing the Operating System, but it didn't recognize my Administrator
password,finally I reinstalled Windows telling it to not reformat the
computer. Windows came up OK and I can see all my old programs, but I
can't open them now.

My question is if I have to reinstall all of my old programs will I lose
my data? Now that I'm back in my machine how can I protect the data.
Should I save everything on CD and then reinstall and try to get it back
afterwords? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Rae
1 answer Last reply
More about ntldr missing

    Hi Rae,

    At a guess, I'd say you created a parallel installation. I would copy
    pertinant data to CD or other removable media, then reinstall your programs.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rae" <Rae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just spent 3 hrs trying to fix my personal laptop without losing my
    > pictures. After trying to install my daughter's iPod something went
    > terribly
    > wrong last week and I could not boot up. I got a NTLDR is missing
    > message. I went online and tryed all the remedies, changed the BIOS to
    > point to the CD to boot with a copy of the missing boot files, tryed
    > Repairing the Operating System, but it didn't recognize my Administrator
    > password,finally I reinstalled Windows telling it to not reformat the
    > computer. Windows came up OK and I can see all my old programs, but I
    > can't open them now.
    >
    > My question is if I have to reinstall all of my old programs will I lose
    > my data? Now that I'm back in my machine how can I protect the data.
    > Should I save everything on CD and then reinstall and try to get it back
    > afterwords? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!!!!
    >
    > Rae

Boot Ntldr Windows XP