Hello,

I have a question about Windows XP Disk Defragmenter. Why is it everytime
I install a new program, I need to run disk defragmenter after words. I mean
I defrag and then install a program and then run analize in Defragmenter and
it shows some files are out of place.

I am running a WindowsXP Home Edition, with a new Seagate 40gig ATA
drive, 512MB DDR PC2100, Athlon XP 2000+ CPU.

Also, AFTER I defragment, my disk shows free space in between the Contiguous
files. Heres a screen shot of what my disk looks like after I use
Defragmenter.
http://tinypic.com/drcro7.jpg

Is something wrong with my hdd?
Any help would be much appreciated!
--
RickXP

Hi,

That's normal, nothing wrong with it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"RickXP" <RickXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about Windows XP Disk Defragmenter. Why is it everytime
> I install a new program, I need to run disk defragmenter after words. I
> mean
> I defrag and then install a program and then run analize in Defragmenter
> and
> it shows some files are out of place.
>
> I am running a WindowsXP Home Edition, with a new Seagate 40gig ATA
> drive, 512MB DDR PC2100, Athlon XP 2000+ CPU.
>
> Also, AFTER I defragment, my disk shows free space in between the
> Contiguous
> files. Heres a screen shot of what my disk looks like after I use
> Defragmenter.
> http://tinypic.com/drcro7.jpg
>
> Is something wrong with my hdd?
> Any help would be much appreciated!
> --
> RickXP

Ok, Thank you..
Do you know why the Free space is in between the Contiguous files?
My other hard drive had the free space all at the end of the drive. Just
curious as
why this one is different.

Thanks for the help...
--
RickXP

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's normal, nothing wrong with it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "RickXP" <RickXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a question about Windows XP Disk Defragmenter. Why is it everytime
> > I install a new program, I need to run disk defragmenter after words. I
> > mean
> > I defrag and then install a program and then run analize in Defragmenter
> > and
> > it shows some files are out of place.
> >
> > I am running a WindowsXP Home Edition, with a new Seagate 40gig ATA
> > drive, 512MB DDR PC2100, Athlon XP 2000+ CPU.
> >
> > Also, AFTER I defragment, my disk shows free space in between the
> > Contiguous
> > files. Heres a screen shot of what my disk looks like after I use
> > Defragmenter.
> > http://tinypic.com/drcro7.jpg
> >
> > Is something wrong with my hdd?
> > Any help would be much appreciated!
> > --
> > RickXP

Hi,

Some defraggers will move the data into one section of the drive. Doing so
isn't necessary, the main objective is to keep all the pieces of data or a
program together.