btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Alright, if you remember my other post, I finally got a switch, a crimper, some plugs, and 50 feet of cable. It was more than enough to run from my living room, where the switch is, to the bedroom next to my bed. Pretty messy, really.

Anyways, I'm trying to set up the network so that my main computer can see the data partition on my laptop, and the same with my laptop. So far on the laptop, I can see two folders under the data drive. But, I can't see the whole data drive.

I did this:
Right-click Data hard drive
go to "Sharing and Security"
chose the "Share this folder" option
User limit "maximum allowed"
OK

I did this for the three folders under it as well. But, the laptop can only see who of the three. I'd rather have it see the whole hard drive. Can I get some assistance?

Other information:
<font color=green>Main computer is running Windows XP Pro - built in firewall is disabled</font color=green>
<font color=red>Laptop is running Windows 98 SE</font color=red>
<font color=green>BBIagent is the router/DHCP server</font color=green>
<font color=red>Switch is connected to one NIC of the router, while the DSL modem is connected to the other</font color=red>

Thanks for any help you can give me...
Bryan

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
103$ please. You seem to of done everything right, i'm not sure if you need to share out all the folders in the drive, just sharing the drive should do what you want.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Do changing the share options require a reboot (for both computers)? Maybe that's what it needs.

I unshared the folders, and just set the whole drive to share. I'm going to reboot, and I have to leave, but hopefully it'll take.

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Dangit...it's not taking. Is there a way to start the networking process fresh and try again? I don't know what else to do.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
just to back it up a bit, each one can ping the other without a problem, right?

Can the main computer (XP Pro machine) see all of its OWN shares?

You're using network neighborhood for all of these views?

The 98 box is logging in with a username and password combo that exist and is enabled on the XP machine?

Do you have client for MS networks and file & printer sharing for MS networks installed on both machines?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
And do you have any permissions set to Deny?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
To answer Zlash first, no permissions in XP are set to Deny.

Now, I'm not sure how to ping each other. In XP, I use "My Network Places" to view the folders. In Win98, I do use Network Neighborhood.

I have File and Print Sharing enabled on both machines.

Lastly, what's this all about with logging in with a username and password? I don't know what to do with this. Still, I can only see two folders, and not the third one.

Thanks for attempting to help...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
If you want to share the whole drive, theres no need to share any other folders (unless you want specific share rights on these folders, which I assume you dont).
so we have lappy and desktop, on tboth pc's we have a drive called shares. On both pc's remove any shares from folders on these drives, and share only the drive itself (which, btw isnt really reccomended) Be sure you havnt set to deny, for the moment leave it as everyone full access- you can change this after. do this on both
on lappy, in the address bar, type \\desktop\data and hit enter, you SHOULD then see the shared drive, on the desktop, put \\laptop\data, again, you SHOULD then see the shared drive.

desktop & laptop & data should be replaced bu the respective computernames and sharenames

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Lastly, what's this all about with logging in with a username and password? I don't know what to do with this. Still, I can only see two folders, and not the third one.
You need to log into the 98 box (make your primary login "microsoft Networking" in the Network and Dialup connections applet in the control panel (I'm going from memory here as I don't have a 98 box at hand). Then when you log in, just make sure you enter the exact username and password as a privileged account on the XP box. You can hit cancel if it prompts you to enter it as your windows password as that has no bearing on anything.

If this doesn't make sense, maybe someone with a 98 box can correct whatever mistakes I made.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'll add a little bit which may help:

if your 98 box is called FRED, then on the xp box, you need a user account called FRED with the appropriate rights to access the shares. It doesnt matter weather or not you log on to 98 (as long as you dont hit cancel of course, but if theres no logon box on 98 its fine). To get the name of the 98 box, go to control panel, network, identification.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
CALV, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. In my experience you can't access a share on an NT flavor box from a 9X box unless you log into the 9X box using the Microsoft Networking login with a valid username and password that exists in the NT box. Otherwise the 9X box has no way of authenticating itself to the NT box.

The only exception to this rule I can think of is if you made the share a "guest" share, which of course is less secure. Now if the LAN in question is behind a NAT firewall for instance, guest access in theory shouldn't be a problem. But just to be on the safe side I would still require passwords on the shares.

As always, this comes from my non-expert brain. Rebuttals are welcome.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I was also in 2 minds about this when I wrote the previous post, but im sure I never had to logon in order to access shares (assuming a workgroup not a domain), however it may well be that I've always used tweakui to automatically logon to the 98 boxes. I'll throw 98 onto a pc when I get home and have a look.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Okay, per your instructions:

Main Computer
I removed the shares from the folders within the drive I wanted to share, and I enabled sharing the whole drive.

Laptop
THis has already been accomplished.
I changed the Primary Login to Microsoft Networking.
I entered the exact same username and password, but when I looked at my main computer's shares, the only thing that showed up was the printer. Everything was gone.

Main Computer
In my network places, the shared folders hasn't refreshed yet. It still shows the folders I was previously sharing, when I already disabled those shares.

Lastly, how I view if my network is in a domain? I don't think I set it to be that...I think I set it to be a workgroup.

Still stumped, but thanks for the effort guys. :smile:

<b>Edit:</b> I just wanted to add that in Windows XP on my main computer, My Network Places shows the folders shared on my main computer still shows the shares for the drive I wanted to share. On the laptop, it just shows the printer, even after rebooting both computers.

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 05/08/02 09:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
you would know if you were on a domain.

try this, since network neighbourhood/network places is crap:

again, 2 pc's called lappy and desktop
on lappy, open i.e. or my computer, or whatever, in the address bar, put \\desktop and press enter, it SHOULD show the share.

on the desktop, do the same but put \\lappy
obviously replace desktop and lappy with the pc names

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
From the Laptop:
Main computer is only sharing the printer

From the Desktop:
Laptop is correctly configured to share the data drive

On the Desktop computer, Data (E:) Properties under the sharing tab has "Share This Folder" selected, share name is E$, comment "Default Share", user limit "Maximum allowed". When I click "Permissions", a window titled "Sharing" pops up saying "This has been shared for administrative purposes. The permissions cannot be set."

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
don;t do the default share. thats doesn't work for me. make a new share name. something like e_share (or whatever) just don't use the default e$

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Okay, that didn't work though. :eek:

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You can access them without the login or anything by enabling the guest account on the XP box.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Alright, I enabled the Guest account. Then, I tried sharing all three folders that are first under that data drive for my desktop computer. Loopback could see them, but the laptop could only see two out of the three folders.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
thats really weird that you always see only a subset of all the shares on the desktop from lappy (to use CALV's terminology). Is there anything you can think of that the "non viewable" share has in common each time? Possibly the name? Exceeding the length limitation or something?

Does the net use command work from 98? I can't remember, but in case it does try the following from lappy at a DOS prompt:

share_name == the name of the share you can't see from lappy
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX == IP address of desktop

C:\> NET USE * \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\share_name

and report back what you get

Also, if it gives you an error try it for the other 2 shares that you CAN see from lappy, just for grins.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
unfortunatley net use doesnt work on 98.

I think I'd try removing all shares, then recreating the shares first off, but its very odd that some are available and some not, is the account on the xp box definately right ? I knpw there are a few networking issues with xp, but this isnt one!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
CALV are you SURE about that? I seem to remember that NET USE was available on 98, but didn't have the "/user" qualifier available, which made it a little less attractive to me, but usable. Can you check it out on your box?