Dell 8300 Power Schemes

I, currently, do not make use of the Power Schemes on my Dell 8300 and
would like a bit of information regarding usage of these options. When my
PC is idle and it's rather warm in the room, the noise of of the PC (fans)
is quite loud. I'm wondering if making use of the Power Schemes options
would allow the computer to slow down and thus not generates as much heat
when not in use. The options I'm reviewing are:
- Turn off Monitor
- Turn off hard drives
- System Standby
- System Hibernates

If one elects to set a time for these items, will that contribute to lowing
the noise level? Also, to restart the computer from these options, is it
just a matter of any key stroke or movement of the mouse?

Thanks for any insights.
Charlie
Charliec
1 answer Last reply
More about dell 8300 power schemes

    "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
    > I, currently, do not make use of the Power Schemes on my Dell 8300 and
    > would like a bit of information regarding usage of these options. When my
    > PC is idle and it's rather warm in the room, the noise of of the PC (fans)
    > is quite loud. I'm wondering if making use of the Power Schemes options
    > would allow the computer to slow down and thus not generates as much heat
    > when not in use. The options I'm reviewing are:
    > - Turn off Monitor
    > - Turn off hard drives
    > - System Standby
    > - System Hibernates
    >
    > If one elects to set a time for these items, will that contribute to
    > lowing
    > the noise level? Also, to restart the computer from these options, is it
    > just a matter of any key stroke or movement of the mouse?
    >
    > Thanks for any insights.
    > Charlie
    > Charliec

    We set my wife's 8400 to Standby, which puts it to sleep. Moving the mouse
    or touching a key wakes it right up. If you don't have any programs that
    require you to keep them running, then this is a good solution. It has been
    very reliable. I don't think we've rebooted in a month or more.

    Tom

Dell Power Computers