Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unable to Install Adobe Acrobat or SUN JAVA...Help please...

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 10:08:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

System: Dell Inspiron 9300 2Ghz Centrino w/ 2G memory Window XP Pro with SP2
I believe. Brand new system out of the box preloaded from vendor not Dell,
but an integrator.

I have tried to load Adobe from the web and manual download file. XP just
sits there and looks at me. NOTHING.

Sun Java 1.5 from web says load active X control (yellow bar at top of
browser) click on it and windows Installer Window opens says preparing to
install and stays there forever. Multiple JAVA.....exe sessions running in
task manager and ca not end task with any of them.

I am a very new XP user. I have admin priveleges on the machine.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 12:43:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:08:01 -0700, "Steve Stevens"
<SteveStevens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>System: Dell Inspiron 9300 2Ghz Centrino w/ 2G memory Window XP Pro with SP2
>I believe. Brand new system out of the box preloaded from vendor not Dell,
>but an integrator.
>
>I have tried to load Adobe from the web and manual download file. XP just
>sits there and looks at me. NOTHING.
>
>Sun Java 1.5 from web says load active X control (yellow bar at top of
>browser) click on it and windows Installer Window opens says preparing to
>install and stays there forever. Multiple JAVA.....exe sessions running in
>task manager and ca not end task with any of them.
>
>I am a very new XP user. I have admin priveleges on the machine.

Reboot into safe mode F8 Twice
Then try to manual install it from an administration account.


Greg Ro
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 12:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well now Greg, that's not very elegant is it? How about just load up W2K and
forget it? We didn't think about that one very long did we?

Seriously, I want a fix not a work around. I have a lot more programs to
load/update and I have just begun.

"GregRo" wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:08:01 -0700, "Steve Stevens"
> <SteveStevens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >System: Dell Inspiron 9300 2Ghz Centrino w/ 2G memory Window XP Pro with SP2
> >I believe. Brand new system out of the box preloaded from vendor not Dell,
> >but an integrator.
> >
> >I have tried to load Adobe from the web and manual download file. XP just
> >sits there and looks at me. NOTHING.
> >
> >Sun Java 1.5 from web says load active X control (yellow bar at top of
> >browser) click on it and windows Installer Window opens says preparing to
> >install and stays there forever. Multiple JAVA.....exe sessions running in
> >task manager and ca not end task with any of them.
> >
> >I am a very new XP user. I have admin priveleges on the machine.
>
> Reboot into safe mode F8 Twice
> Then try to manual install it from an administration account.
>
>
> Greg Ro
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:28:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:04:20 -0700, "Steve Stevens"
<SteveStevens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well now Greg, that's not very elegant is it? How about just load up W2K and
>forget it? We didn't think about that one very long did we?
>
>Seriously, I want a fix not a work around. I have a lot more programs to
>load/update and I have just begun.
>
>"GregRo" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:08:01 -0700, "Steve Stevens"
>> <SteveStevens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >System: Dell Inspiron 9300 2Ghz Centrino w/ 2G memory Window XP Pro with SP2
>> >I believe. Brand new system out of the box preloaded from vendor not Dell,
>> >but an integrator.
>> >
>> >I have tried to load Adobe from the web and manual download file. XP just
>> >sits there and looks at me. NOTHING.
>> >
>> >Sun Java 1.5 from web says load active X control (yellow bar at top of
>> >browser) click on it and windows Installer Window opens says preparing to
>> >install and stays there forever. Multiple JAVA.....exe sessions running in
>> >task manager and ca not end task with any of them.
>> >
>> >I am a very new XP user. I have admin priveleges on the machine.
>>
>> Reboot into safe mode F8 Twice
>> Then try to manual install it from an administration account.
>>
>>
>> Greg Ro
>>


You said you were a new user. I gave you a simple work around.
Remember, xp sp2 is differnet than W2K.


You still need to USE safe mode to do this.

Clean out you temp folder in
c:\documents and settings\your username\local settings\temp


Now reboot Normally.


Control Panel-Internet Options-Security-Custom Level
Chose enable Under
Automatic Prompting for activex controls and
Automatic Prompting for file downloads.
Click ok and click yes and click the general tab
Click delete cookie and delete files wait.
Then Click ok.


Now try again to install.


Greg Ro
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:33:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yes, I said I was new to XP, not operating sysems. ;-)

Thanks for your reply though. I do not believe my problem is with security
issues, but with a bad load of SP2. However I will give yor suggestion the
first try.
Windows installer does not run. As soon as it begins (window for Installer
appears) it says "Preparing to install..." and sits there for the next
millenium or until you enter program manager and end the task, if that works.
Somtimes it does sometimes not. I have noticed that MSISERV.exe is running
about 5 instances with no processor time and JAVA1_5_......exe is also there
with no processor time.

Does this info suggest anything to you?

"GregRo" wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:04:20 -0700, "Steve Stevens"
> <SteveStevens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Well now Greg, that's not very elegant is it? How about just load up W2K and
> >forget it? We didn't think about that one very long did we?
> >
> >Seriously, I want a fix not a work around. I have a lot more programs to
> >load/update and I have just begun.
> >
> >"GregRo" wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:08:01 -0700, "Steve Stevens"
> >> <SteveStevens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >System: Dell Inspiron 9300 2Ghz Centrino w/ 2G memory Window XP Pro with SP2
> >> >I believe. Brand new system out of the box preloaded from vendor not Dell,
> >> >but an integrator.
> >> >
> >> >I have tried to load Adobe from the web and manual download file. XP just
> >> >sits there and looks at me. NOTHING.
> >> >
> >> >Sun Java 1.5 from web says load active X control (yellow bar at top of
> >> >browser) click on it and windows Installer Window opens says preparing to
> >> >install and stays there forever. Multiple JAVA.....exe sessions running in
> >> >task manager and ca not end task with any of them.
> >> >
> >> >I am a very new XP user. I have admin priveleges on the machine.
> >>
> >> Reboot into safe mode F8 Twice
> >> Then try to manual install it from an administration account.
> >>
> >>
> >> Greg Ro
> >>
>
>
> You said you were a new user. I gave you a simple work around.
> Remember, xp sp2 is differnet than W2K.
>
>
> You still need to USE safe mode to do this.
>
> Clean out you temp folder in
> c:\documents and settings\your username\local settings\temp
>
>
> Now reboot Normally.
>
>
> Control Panel-Internet Options-Security-Custom Level
> Chose enable Under
> Automatic Prompting for activex controls and
> Automatic Prompting for file downloads.
> Click ok and click yes and click the general tab
> Click delete cookie and delete files wait.
> Then Click ok.
>
>
> Now try again to install.
>
>
> Greg Ro
>
!