Hi,

As soon as I turn on my laptop, my CPU usage in the Task Manager is at
100%. There are no programs running in the Applications tab and the
processes using the most memory are explorer.exe (~9000K) and
svchost.exe (~6500K).

My computer doesn't seem to be running excessively slow or getting hot
despite this.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.

--
theclassical

What anti-virus and internet security (firewall) programmes are you
using?

What are you doing with regard to removing spyware?

You need to have up to date virus definitions. A free anti-virus
programme:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Also the Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta is considerably better than it was
at first:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

--

Hope this helps.