2x AGP 4x AGP Geforce4

G

I have a P3 600mhz w/ 384mb ram and a Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 Ultra 64 MB ; my Motherboard only supports 2x AGP so my question is if I buy a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 w/ 128mb will I still get all the benefits ?

whats the difference beetwen having only 2x AGP and 4x AGP?

is it worth getting a Geforce4 on a 2xAGP motherboard?

Thanks Guys

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
yup, 4xagp is only marginally faster than 2x agp...2x is much faster than 1x however...its like cd rom drives...the higher than number the greater the diminishing return. The card will work fine, but you wont get all the benefits because of the speed of your processor. Even the latest processors dont allow the FULL benefit of the GF4 to be realized. I would seriously recommend waiting another week or two for the GF4 TI 4200 to come and buy that one. That will be by FAR the best bang for your buck HyperPhi, you wont notice a difference in performance on your machine between the 4200 and 4600 so why waste money spending twice the price of a 4200 on a 4600?

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best graphics cards use at most about 2.15 times the bandwidth of AGP1x. Which means that at best with the hottest card, AGP4x is only 15% better than AGP2x. In fact, you have a BX board I think, which is up to 15% faster than any other chipset for the PIII. I went from an Asus CUSL2 (the fastest AGP4x board for the PIII) to an Epox BX3 (early AGP2x BX board) and actually picked up some performance (around 3%) in both 3D-Mark 2000 and 2001 (graphics benchmarks, the best test for AGP performance).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?