Dell's Slide

Want to know who is responsible for the slide in Dell's service? It's
us, the customer. Dell is driven, like any other corporation by
profit. How many customers really are willing to pay the difference
in price for better tech support? Consider that number versus those
who would buy Brand X if it were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper?

If the market really wanted and paid that extra few bucks for Dell's
once famous support, it would still be provided.

My take on this is, Dell sees no value and perhaps a loss in its old
tradition. Perhaps I'm out in left field. As long as now one else
offers better support and a certain segment of the market is willing
to chase a few extra bucks in savings we aren't going to see tech
support quality any where.
42 answers Last reply
More about dell slide

    Bill wrote:
    > Want to know who is responsible for the slide in Dell's service? It's
    > us, the customer. Dell is driven, like any other corporation by
    > profit. How many customers really are willing to pay the difference
    > in price for better tech support? Consider that number versus those
    > who would buy Brand X if it were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper?
    >
    > If the market really wanted and paid that extra few bucks for Dell's
    > once famous support, it would still be provided.
    >
    > My take on this is, Dell sees no value and perhaps a loss in its old
    > tradition. Perhaps I'm out in left field. As long as now one else
    > offers better support and a certain segment of the market is willing
    > to chase a few extra bucks in savings we aren't going to see tech
    > support quality any where.

    Warranty is a contract and the issues seem to be that Dell is having
    some difficulty honoring the terms of whatever warranties are in force,
    for whatever reason Dell has. Possible reasons are low product profit
    margins coupled with any or all of deteriorating product quality,
    increasing consumer expectations of performance, high level of product
    returns, etc. Dell is also having to go the extra mile in coupons,
    discounts, freebies, and the like in order to maintain both product
    volume sales and total revenues in a market with falling product prices,
    intense competition, and falling numbers of new computer purchases.

    I fail to see where the customer's choice of warranty model has any
    impact on Dell's warranty service and support obligations.

    here's my two cents, support is important to us the consumer to Dell it is
    another story.
    Dell has one objective and that is to make money, support does not do that
    as a matter of fact
    it is a drain on the cash flow. That is why in my opinion it has been
    reduced in quality, in other words
    cheapened. I don't like it but that is my spin.

    BigJim wrote:
    > here's my two cents, support is important to us the consumer to Dell it is
    > another story.
    > Dell has one objective and that is to make money, support does not do that
    > as a matter of fact
    > it is a drain on the cash flow. That is why in my opinion it has been
    > reduced in quality, in other words
    > cheapened. I don't like it but that is my spin.

    While support may be important to the customer, just how
    vital is it? Support should not mean hand-holding the user
    who does not want to read the manual. Nor should support
    mean attempting to resolve a third-party question beyond
    the scope of the computer system as it is delivered. Nor
    should support be used as the teacher for neophyte users
    when both free and tuition-based education programs are
    available to many users. IOW, support should be used for
    the purpose for which it was intended...not the way it is
    being currently (ab)used.

    "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > here's my two cents, support is important to us the consumer to Dell it is
    > another story.
    > Dell has one objective and that is to make money, support does not do that
    > as a matter of fact
    > it is a drain on the cash flow. That is why in my opinion it has been
    > reduced in quality, in other words
    > cheapened. I don't like it but that is my spin.

    The extent of the slide seems to be wider than just post-sales support
    though.

    I tried ordering a PC from them last Thursday. However, despite getting the
    'Thank You For Your Order' web page I've not received the promised
    confirmation email and have yet to receive a significant and satisfactory
    response to any of my emails to the complaints department, the Outlet
    department nor the emails and voice mail to the 'Sales Executive' dealing
    with the order.

    This is for a NEW SALE for heaven's sake!

    See my thread entitled '(UK Dell) Tracking an order' below.

    JJ (UK)

    Have you phoned Dell Customer Service? Did you get an order number, and if
    so, did you check the order status on the website? I received my order
    confirmation within two hours of placing my online order. My follow up
    email arrived early the next morning after my late evening order, or about
    36 hours later.

    There seems to be some problem with you guys in the UK and Dell. I've never
    seen so many issues so centered on one geographic location. And, if you
    also check newsgroups like comp.periphs.printers, you Brits have some
    serious printer maladies.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have you phoned Dell Customer Service? Did you get an order number, and
    if
    > so, did you check the order status on the website?

    No, I only got a reference number and was unable to track the order with
    that alone.

    > There seems to be some problem with you guys in the UK and Dell.

    You got that right!

    --
    JJ (UK)

    To quite an automobile TV sport featuring a prominent former industry
    chairman-----"I couldn't have said it better myself".

    "Bill" <bgross@nospan.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Want to know who is responsible for the slide in Dell's service? It's
    > us, the customer. Dell is driven, like any other corporation by
    > profit. How many customers really are willing to pay the difference
    > in price for better tech support? Consider that number versus those
    > who would buy Brand X if it were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper?
    >
    > If the market really wanted and paid that extra few bucks for Dell's
    > once famous support, it would still be provided.
    >
    > My take on this is, Dell sees no value and perhaps a loss in its old
    > tradition. Perhaps I'm out in left field. As long as now one else
    > offers better support and a certain segment of the market is willing
    > to chase a few extra bucks in savings we aren't going to see tech
    > support quality any where.

    oops,,,,,,,,,,,SPOT.

    > "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you phoned Dell Customer Service? Did you get an order number, and
    > if
    >> so, did you check the order status on the website?
    >
    > No, I only got a reference number and was unable to track the order with
    > that alone.
    >
    >> There seems to be some problem with you guys in the UK and Dell.
    >
    > You got that right!
    >
    > --
    > JJ (UK)

    If I recall the original post, the order was from the Outlet? You don't get
    an order number or tracking number from the Outlet in the US either.

    Tom

    Irene wrote:

    > oops,,,,,,,,,,,SPOT.

    Also, QUOTE! <g>

    Notan

    > If I recall the original post, the order was from the Outlet? You don't
    get
    > an order number or tracking number from the Outlet in the US either.
    >
    > Tom

    Correct. Which was one reason why I was asking if anyone knew if it was
    possible to track the order.

    Still waiting for a response from them!

    JJ (UK)

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > There seems to be some problem with you guys in the UK and Dell. I've
    > never seen so many issues so centered on one geographic location. And, if
    > you also check newsgroups like comp.periphs.printers, you Brits have some
    > serious printer maladies.

    Yeah and we pay more for the privelege!

    Chris

    What can I say. I have long finger nails and it makes typing on a computer
    keyboard some what challenging.
    No excuse for not catching the typo's before I posted, though.

    > Irene wrote:
    >>
    >> oops,,,,,,,,,,,SPOT.
    >
    > Also, QUOTE! <g>
    >
    > Notan

    Just like IBM has done for decades, many computer manufacturers as
    well as support companies are sliding back towards corporation and
    big-business-based support. The long-term corporate strategies of
    some companies are leaning towards higher certifications for on-site
    server and network-based technical support staff. Many believe home
    computers will become so inexpensive and cheap that the typical
    break-fix residential and small-business service calls won't be worth
    the time, money or effort. A 3-year warranty will cost more than
    buying a new computer outright. Luckily the break-fix trend is still
    cost-effective for laptops, although most of my calls had still been
    for desktops. Dell might drop desktop support altogether and only
    provide on-site support for laptops.

    A good example of de-valued computer equipment is todays printers...it
    costs more money to fix than to buy a new printer (hell, it costs more
    to buy a new INK CARTRIDGE than to buy a new printer with the ink
    cartridge included).

    Dan

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:27:53 -0400, Dan <jasdfosd@asjedfoi.com> wrote:

    >hell, it costs more
    >to buy a new INK CARTRIDGE than to buy a new printer with the ink
    >cartridge included).

    Maybe not. I heard some new printers come with cartridges half full.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    Not only that, if you pay the premium for CompleteCare, you still get poor
    telephone support.

    Maybe if Dell reduced there operating costs by eliminating the huge waiting
    times talking to India for support they could spend more on quality support
    techs who can answer the questions.

    "Al" <dvst8@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Not only that, if you pay the premium for CompleteCare, you still get poor
    > telephone support.

    Not universally true. See my previous posts.

    > Maybe if Dell reduced there operating costs by eliminating the huge
    > waiting times talking to India for support they could spend more on
    > quality support techs who can answer the questions.

    Don't know, but I suspect that they are making money even with the "huge
    waiting times" you present. Apparently I've been fortunate. I've never had
    to wait beyond 15 minutes for a tech to pick up either domestically or
    overseas.

    Stew

    What operating costs would they eliminate? The connections are all VOIP, so
    essentially free calls.

    "Al" <dvst8@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Not only that, if you pay the premium for CompleteCare, you still get poor
    > telephone support.
    >
    > Maybe if Dell reduced there operating costs by eliminating the huge
    > waiting times talking to India for support they could spend more on
    > quality support techs who can answer the questions.

    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> Want to know who is responsible for the slide in Dell's service? It's
    >>> us, the customer. Dell is driven, like any other corporation by
    >>> profit. How many customers really are willing to pay the difference
    >>> in price for better tech support? Consider that number versus those
    >>> who would buy Brand X if it were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper?
    >>>
    >>> If the market really wanted and paid that extra few bucks for Dell's
    >>> once famous support, it would still be provided.
    >>>
    >>> My take on this is, Dell sees no value and perhaps a loss in its old
    >>> tradition. Perhaps I'm out in left field. As long as now one else
    >>> offers better support and a certain segment of the market is willing
    >>> to chase a few extra bucks in savings we aren't going to see tech
    >>> support quality any where.
    >>
    >> Warranty is a contract and the issues seem to be that Dell is having some
    >> difficulty honoring the terms of whatever warranties are in force, for
    >> whatever reason Dell has. Possible reasons are low product profit
    >> margins coupled with any or all of deteriorating product quality,
    >> increasing consumer expectations of performance, high level of product
    >> returns, etc. Dell is also having to go the extra mile in coupons,
    >> discounts, freebies, and the like in order to maintain both product
    >> volume sales and total revenues in a market with falling product prices,
    >> intense competition, and falling numbers of new computer purchases.
    >>
    >> I fail to see where the customer's choice of warranty model has any
    >> impact on Dell's warranty service and support obligations.

    I've posted this several times before, but at the risk of being flamed I
    will repeat my comments again.

    When enough people get fed up with the poor support and quit buying Dell
    computers, things will improve. Until then, it is my opinion that things
    will continue deteriorate as long as Dell can cut service and support
    without the loss of substantial business.

    That point has apparently already been reached on the "business" sales end
    of things and some service and support has been moved back to the U.S. and
    improved.

    Bottom line(no pun intended), as long as Dell can sell their low end
    consumer computers, without providing the quality service and support that
    most of us got used to several years ago, they will do so.

    "Al" <dvst8@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Not only that, if you pay the premium for CompleteCare, you still get poor
    > telephone support.
    >
    > Maybe if Dell reduced there operating costs by eliminating the huge
    > waiting times talking to India for support they could spend more on
    > quality support techs who can answer the questions.

    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> Want to know who is responsible for the slide in Dell's service? It's
    >>> us, the customer. Dell is driven, like any other corporation by
    >>> profit. How many customers really are willing to pay the difference
    >>> in price for better tech support? Consider that number versus those
    >>> who would buy Brand X if it were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper?
    >>>
    >>> If the market really wanted and paid that extra few bucks for Dell's
    >>> once famous support, it would still be provided.
    >>>
    >>> My take on this is, Dell sees no value and perhaps a loss in its old
    >>> tradition. Perhaps I'm out in left field. As long as now one else
    >>> offers better support and a certain segment of the market is willing
    >>> to chase a few extra bucks in savings we aren't going to see tech
    >>> support quality any where.
    >>
    >> Warranty is a contract and the issues seem to be that Dell is having some
    >> difficulty honoring the terms of whatever warranties are in force, for
    >> whatever reason Dell has. Possible reasons are low product profit
    >> margins coupled with any or all of deteriorating product quality,
    >> increasing consumer expectations of performance, high level of product
    >> returns, etc. Dell is also having to go the extra mile in coupons,
    >> discounts, freebies, and the like in order to maintain both product
    >> volume sales and total revenues in a market with falling product prices,
    >> intense competition, and falling numbers of new computer purchases.
    >>
    >> I fail to see where the customer's choice of warranty model has any
    >> impact on Dell's warranty service and support obligations.

    No flames from here, Irene. Whether Dell or any other name brand computer, it
    has long been painfully obvious that computers are divided into two classes of
    equipment: commercial (or business) and consumer. The consumer-oriented brand
    names (Compaq Presario, HP Pavilion, Dell Inspiron, etc.) have long been
    associated with inferior product, beginning with the design, including the
    selection of electronic components (e.g. Quantum Bigfoot drives, "Gatrox" PCI
    graphics cards) and even chassis, and ending with support (all areas including
    warranty replacements, web site info, on-line and phone tech support). The
    computer companies find that a divide-and-conquer strategy works perfectly with
    consumers, who, by their very nature, are already divided, and, hence, cannot
    easily get together on any problems with the products. Divide-and-conquer does
    not work with large enterprises with centralized purchasing departments, so
    product quality is invariably at least a notch better with business-class
    products.

    Give IBM credit for first dropping out of the consumer computer product game
    (Aptivas were a blot on IBM's reputation), then for selling off the desktop
    computer business to Lenovo. IBM simply concluded that competing in the
    consumer-oriented product segment with ever-lower quality products was a losing
    game for a reputation it wants to maintain.

    Dell seems to be late in catching on that it can cut corners with its
    consumer-oriented computers, along with commeasurate cuts in price. Dell also
    shows evidence that it understands the difference between the two: consumer and
    business. It's web site exhibits a two-tiered structure, so that one can order
    products as a simpleton consumer (DON'T DO IT!) or a some sort of business.
    And, yes, Dell is too damned short-sighted to understand the long-term effects
    of cutting corners with consumers. The short-term effect is that Dell
    consumer-oriented boxes will be perceived as the same as all the junk sold in
    the retail stores. The long-term effect is a steady erosion in sales, or at
    least no increases in sales to satisfy the demands of the stock market.

    The only hope for Dell is that HP and Gateway have been going down the slippery
    consumer slope for several years already, and consequently both are really and
    truly gasping to survive. Kill off HP and Gateway computer businesses and who
    is left to compete with Dell? This is a real conundrum for buyers of computers,
    until computer manufacturers and buyers alike truly understand that price is not
    the only buying criterion... Ben Myers

    On , "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:07:15 -0700
    >
    >I've posted this several times before, but at the risk of being flamed I
    >will repeat my comments again.
    >
    >When enough people get fed up with the poor support and quit buying Dell
    >computers, things will improve. Until then, it is my opinion that things
    >will continue deteriorate as long as Dell can cut service and support
    >without the loss of substantial business.
    >
    >That point has apparently already been reached on the "business" sales end
    >of things and some service and support has been moved back to the U.S. and
    >improved.
    >
    >Bottom line(no pun intended), as long as Dell can sell their low end
    >consumer computers, without providing the quality service and support that
    >most of us got used to several years ago, they will do so.
    >

    >"Al" <dvst8@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    >> Not only that, if you pay the premium for CompleteCare, you still get poor
    >> telephone support.
    >>
    >> Maybe if Dell reduced there operating costs by eliminating the huge
    >> waiting times talking to India for support they could spend more on
    >> quality support techs who can answer the questions.
    >>

    >> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

    >>> Warranty is a contract and the issues seem to be that Dell is having some
    >>> difficulty honoring the terms of whatever warranties are in force, for
    >>> whatever reason Dell has. Possible reasons are low product profit
    >>> margins coupled with any or all of deteriorating product quality,
    >>> increasing consumer expectations of performance, high level of product
    >>> returns, etc. Dell is also having to go the extra mile in coupons,
    >>> discounts, freebies, and the like in order to maintain both product
    >>> volume sales and total revenues in a market with falling product prices,
    >>> intense competition, and falling numbers of new computer purchases.
    >>>
    >>> I fail to see where the customer's choice of warranty model has any
    >>> impact on Dell's warranty service and support obligations.

    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Now we all have to do is wait for Dell to realize that in the long run, this
    nonsense is going to cost them customers and ultimately profits.

> [...]

    > of cutting corners with consumers. The short-term effect is that Dell
    > consumer-oriented boxes will be perceived as the same as all the junk sold
    > in
    > the retail stores. The long-term effect is a steady erosion in sales, or
    > at
    > least no increases in sales to satisfy the demands of the stock market.
    >
    > The only hope for Dell is that HP and Gateway have been going down the
    > slippery
    > consumer slope for several years already, and consequently both are really
    > and
    > truly gasping to survive. Kill off HP and Gateway computer businesses and
    > who
    > is left to compete with Dell? This is a real conundrum for buyers of
    > computers,
    > until computer manufacturers and buyers alike truly understand that price

    The only way the OEM cycle is going to be broken (imo) would be the
    emergence of a significant regional (who goes national) vendor(s) who could
    shake the consumer psychology of buying upon price alone.

    Said vendor(s) would have to be near the OEMs in price but provide some
    demonstrable - and in fact incredible - product quality AND customer support
    that could capture the imaginations and loyalties of PC buyers in both the
    consumer and corporate sectors. I'm talking "catching lightning in a bottle"
    types of events here.

    Quite frankly, I just don't see how this can happen. Buyers have become
    'addicted' in their expectation of a sub $1000 system, or even a sub-$500
    system (with MONITOR) for entry-level hardware with OS.

    It's one thing to demand improved product quality and support and quite
    another to pay $300 more (and up) for it on a comparably spec'd machine.
    Most people would rather spend that extra money on something else.

    The way I see it, OEM quality and support would have to get ridiculously bad
    for volumes of buyers to abandon ship, and I think the big corporates are
    too smart to let that happen. This is a very controlled level of (a least
    support) degradation, I think. I think they all know *exactly* what they're
    doing, and they're monitoring the customer sales impact very closely.

    (Again, note Dell's very quick response to return corporate support to
    domestic centers....)

    I suppose if perceived quality (tied to price) were everything, then
    Alienware and FalconNW would now be major players.

    Stew

    The only problem with your rational is that the sorry support and service
    extends very nearly throughout the Dell consumer line up. So, it matters
    not if one spends $400 or $2000 for a Home division computer, you get the
    same deteriorating quality of service and support.

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    >
    > It's one thing to demand improved product quality and support and quite
    > another to pay $300 more (and up) for it on a comparably spec'd machine.
    > Most people would rather spend that extra money on something else.
    >
    > The way I see it, OEM quality and support would have to get ridiculously
    > bad for volumes of buyers to abandon ship, and I think the big corporates
    > are too smart to let that happen. This is a very controlled level of (a
    > least support) degradation, I think. I think they all know *exactly* what
    > they're doing, and they're monitoring the customer sales impact very
    > closely.
    >
    > (Again, note Dell's very quick response to return corporate support to
    > domestic centers....)
    >
    > I suppose if perceived quality (tied to price) were everything, then
    > Alienware and FalconNW would now be major players.

    Dell has a new line of computers coming out this fall offering superior
    service . I am willing to bet most people will not want to pay extra for
    good service.

    Dell to launch 'Lexus lineup' of PCs

    The premium systems will also come with a premium service package, which
    Dell calls its "white glove" treatment. The service packages will include
    expanded online and in-home support. Dell is currently conducting extensive
    test programs on its online support.

    God help anyone who buys a product which touts a special support treatment
    or queue.

    Dell can not figure out how to route you to the right queue if your system
    is considered "special" (eg. XPS), and the wrong queues refuse to do
    anything (including letting you speak to a manager) but tranfer you,
    usually again to the wrong queue.

    "Tom Morton" <tommortonspam@adelphiaspam.net> wrote in message
    > Dell has a new line of computers coming out this fall offering superior
    > service . I am willing to bet most people will not want to pay extra for
    > good service.
    >
    > Dell to launch 'Lexus lineup' of PCs
    >
    > The premium systems will also come with a premium service package, which
    > Dell calls its "white glove" treatment. The service packages will include
    > expanded online and in-home support. Dell is currently conducting
    > extensive test programs on its online support.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Al wrote:

    > God help anyone who buys a product which touts a special support treatment
    > or queue.
    >
    > Dell can not figure out how to route you to the right queue if your system
    > is considered "special" (eg. XPS), and the wrong queues refuse to do
    > anything (including letting you speak to a manager) but tranfer you,
    > usually again to the wrong queue.

    Gold Tech Support has its own number... Doesn't XPS?

    Notan
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Notan wrote:
    > Al wrote:
    >
    >>God help anyone who buys a product which touts a special support treatment
    >>or queue.
    >>
    >>Dell can not figure out how to route you to the right queue if your system
    >>is considered "special" (eg. XPS), and the wrong queues refuse to do
    >>anything (including letting you speak to a manager) but tranfer you,
    >>usually again to the wrong queue.
    >

    > Gold Tech Support has its own number... Doesn't XPS?
    >
    > Notan

    If it XPS does, I haven't been able to find it yet. I haven't had
    problems with my XPS Laptop and hope I don't with the new XPS Generation
    5 I just ordered.

    Joan
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Joan Hansen wrote:

    > Notan wrote:
    > > Al wrote:
    > >
    > >>God help anyone who buys a product which touts a special support treatment
    > >>or queue.
    > >>
    > >>Dell can not figure out how to route you to the right queue if your system
    > >>is considered "special" (eg. XPS), and the wrong queues refuse to do
    > >>anything (including letting you speak to a manager) but tranfer you,
    > >>usually again to the wrong queue.
    > >

    > > Gold Tech Support has its own number... Doesn't XPS?
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > If it XPS does, I haven't been able to find it yet. I haven't had
    > problems with my XPS Laptop and hope I don't with the new XPS Generation
    > 5 I just ordered.

    When I purchased GTS, I had to make a phone call, to my sales rep,
    in order to get the direct number.

    I'm *sure* I remember reading that XPS purchasers would be given a
    special Support number.

    Notan
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Notan wrote:
    > Joan Hansen wrote:
    >
    >>Notan wrote:

    >>>Gold Tech Support has its own number... Doesn't XPS?
    >>>
    >>>Notan
    >>
    >>If it XPS does, I haven't been able to find it yet. I haven't had
    >>problems with my XPS Laptop and hope I don't with the new XPS Generation
    >>5 I just ordered.
    >

    > When I purchased GTS, I had to make a phone call, to my sales rep,
    > in order to get the direct number.
    >
    > I'm *sure* I remember reading that XPS purchasers would be given a
    > special Support number.
    >
    > Notan

    Thanks Notan, I'll pull out my documents to see if they have the phone
    number, although, I'd rather not have to use it. :-)

    Joan
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    What's the phone number for Gold Support? I can't find it anywhere

    --
    Cyndi
    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message news:42E689A9.9E129EC3@ddress.com...
    > Al wrote:
    > >
    > > God help anyone who buys a product which touts a special support treatment
    > > or queue.
    > >
    > > Dell can not figure out how to route you to the right queue if your system
    > > is considered "special" (eg. XPS), and the wrong queues refuse to do
    > > anything (including letting you speak to a manager) but tranfer you,
    > > usually again to the wrong queue.
    >
    > Gold Tech Support has its own number... Doesn't XPS?
    >
    > Notan
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Cyndi wrote:

    > What's the phone number for Gold Support? I can't find it anywhere

    It's supplied when you purchase it...

    Just an FYI... Calling the number won't *get* you GTS... Your Service Tag
    or Express Service Code has to match the records in their GTS database.
    Otherwise, you're politely transferred to another department. Maybe even
    another country! <g>

    Notan
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I have the Gold Tech Support, I just never found a number for it.
    --
    Cyndi
    "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message news:42E84EF5.28BDA14@ddress.com...
    > Cyndi wrote:
    > >
    > > What's the phone number for Gold Support? I can't find it anywhere
    >
    > It's supplied when you purchase it...
    >
    > Just an FYI... Calling the number won't *get* you GTS... Your Service Tag
    > or Express Service Code has to match the records in their GTS database.
    > Otherwise, you're politely transferred to another department. Maybe even
    > another country! <g>
    >
    > Notan
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Cyndi wrote:

    > I have the Gold Tech Support, I just never found a number for it.
    >
    > <snip>

    If you'll post a legit e-mail address, I'll send it to you.

    Notan
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Well supposedly the Express Service Tag will transfer you to the right
    queue, but doesn't.

    I was given a "special" number, which used to end you up in the same mixed
    up process.
    Now it doesn't even do that. Now you get, this number is no longer in
    service, please hang up and call
    1-800-999-3355.

    Big help there.

    Al

    > Joan Hansen wrote:
    >>
    >> Notan wrote:

    >> > Gold Tech Support has its own number... Doesn't XPS?
    >> >
    >> > Notan
    >>
    >> If it XPS does, I haven't been able to find it yet. I haven't had
    >> problems with my XPS Laptop and hope I don't with the new XPS Generation
    >> 5 I just ordered.
    >
    > When I purchased GTS, I had to make a phone call, to my sales rep,
    > in order to get the direct number.
    >
    > I'm *sure* I remember reading that XPS purchasers would be given a
    > special Support number.
    >
    > Notan
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I recently purchased from Dell for the first time. I purchased a 2 year
    extended warrantee and paid additional for the 2 years of complete care.
    My laptop came and wouldn't even turn on. It took me 2 and a half hours
    on the phone (between being put on hold and shifted from department to
    department just to exchange my dead system. Asking to speak to a
    supervisor gets you nowhere because either the supervisor won't tell you
    anything either or they won't let you talk to them anyway.

    I was recently informed that the only people who get support within the US
    from Dell is corporate and government. (This was from someone within Dell
    that my brother does business with on the government end).

    I finally recieved my system replacement on Friday and it is working fine
    so far, but honestly I can tell you that I don't feel very confident about
    the quality of the warrantee support.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    nhkat2 wrote:

    > I recently purchased from Dell for the first time. I purchased a 2 year
    > extended warrantee and paid additional for the 2 years of complete care.
    > My laptop came and wouldn't even turn on. It took me 2 and a half hours
    > on the phone (between being put on hold and shifted from department to
    > department just to exchange my dead system. Asking to speak to a
    > supervisor gets you nowhere because either the supervisor won't tell you
    > anything either or they won't let you talk to them anyway.
    >
    > I was recently informed that the only people who get support within the US
    > from Dell is corporate and government. (This was from someone within Dell
    > that my brother does business with on the government end).

    You were informed incorrectly.

    If you purchase from Dell's Small Business Division, you have the option
    of obtaining US support (Gold Tech Support).

    I've heard that Home buyers can also get GTS, by asking, but I couldn't
    verify this, personally.

    Notan
  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Want to know who is responsible for the slide in Dell's service? It's
    >us, the customer. Dell is driven, like any other corporation by
    >profit. How many customers really are willing to pay the difference
    >in price for better tech support? Consider that number versus those
    >who would buy Brand X if it were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper?
    >
    >If the market really wanted and paid that extra few bucks for Dell's
    >once famous support, it would still be provided.
    >
    >My take on this is, Dell sees no value and perhaps a loss in its old
    >tradition. Perhaps I'm out in left field. As long as now one else
    >offers better support and a certain segment of the market is willing
    >to chase a few extra bucks in savings we aren't going to see tech
    >support quality any where.

    I don't much care how much my computers cost; I have work to do, so I
    just want quality, reliability, and support. That's why I used to buy
    Dell.

    John
  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    John,

    Just so we're all on the same page...

    Are you buying the Optiplex/Precision managed desktops?

    T.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    The default support for the managed desktops should be local US phone
    support.

    If he's not happy, he has a case.

    T.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    tlai909@visto.com wrote:

    > The default support for the managed desktops should be local US phone
    > support.
    >
    > If he's not happy, he has a case.

    Should be? In my opinion, *all* US purchases *should be* US supported.

    But, the reality is they're not.

    Dell offers numerous options, which *will* guarantee US support.
    Purchasing better support is no different than purchasing auto
    insurance. You can get nothing, basic, or top-of-the-line. It's
    rather amusing to hear people bitch about bad service, after
    *they've* made a bad (i.e., "cheap") choice.

    And, for you, Administrator, that was a Typical Dellbot Response.

    Notan
  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
    > The default support for the managed desktops should be local US phone
    > support.
    >
    > If he's not happy, he has a case.
    >
    > T.

    Don't know, but I'd suspect default support for the Precision boxes is U.S..
    It most definitely is for Latitude notebooks......
  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    tlai909@visto.com wrote:

    > The default support for the managed desktops should be local US phone
    > support.

    Really, where's that written down?

Dell Support Computers