Want to change Motheboard and CPU and Ram

I have my Win XP Home CD which is OEM and my motherboard just died. I have
another motherboard from another computer that I'm not using (this mobo has
different type RAM). Can I replace the dead motherboard with the other one?
If so, what do I have to do to make it work properly? What to do about
Activation? Will it let me do all this? The reason I ask is because this
will be like putting it another computer won't it, I mean the motherboard,
CPU, and RAM will be different. OR can I simply reinstall XP from the CD and
replace the small harddrive while I'm at it? Please help. Thank you.
--
Laz
4 answers Last reply

    Most, if not all, OEM versions are tied to the FIRST system they are
    installed on and cannot be used if the cpu, motheerboard, etc are changed.
    Unless you get an exact duplicate of the original motherboard.

    Looks like you will have to go to the store and buy a full, retail
    version -which, if you had done so in the first place, would preclude this
    type of problem as it can be used to swap out motherboards and cpu's.
    ..
    "Laz" <Laz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have my Win XP Home CD which is OEM and my motherboard just died. I have
    > another motherboard from another computer that I'm not using (this mobo
    > has
    > different type RAM). Can I replace the dead motherboard with the other
    > one?
    > If so, what do I have to do to make it work properly? What to do about
    > Activation? Will it let me do all this? The reason I ask is because this
    > will be like putting it another computer won't it, I mean the motherboard,
    > CPU, and RAM will be different. OR can I simply reinstall XP from the CD
    > and
    > replace the small harddrive while I'm at it? Please help. Thank you.
    > --
    > Laz

    If the other mobo is OEM from a Dell or HP etc..system, then no..
    You need a mobo setup disk for the chipset drivers etc.. An OEM mobo needs
    the OEM's setup disk and all the hardware that was originally connected, to
    setup the board properly..A boxed retail mobo new or used with a setup disk
    is your best bet and or a new build from scrach...
    Or use a retail ver of 98se/XP and id the maker of the mobo and chipset on
    the internet. Mobo's in brand name computers are harder to id if at all..
    http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

    j;-)

    Laz wrote:
    > I have my Win XP Home CD which is OEM and my motherboard just died. I have
    > another motherboard from another computer that I'm not using (this mobo has
    > different type RAM). Can I replace the dead motherboard with the other one?
    > If so, what do I have to do to make it work properly? What to do about
    > Activation? Will it let me do all this? The reason I ask is because this
    > will be like putting it another computer won't it, I mean the motherboard,
    > CPU, and RAM will be different. OR can I simply reinstall XP from the CD and
    > replace the small harddrive while I'm at it? Please help. Thank you.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:E6BD591E-5C19-4166-9F13-2BCF02C0599E@microsoft.com,
    Laz <Laz@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
    > I have my Win XP Home CD which is OEM and my motherboard just died.
    > I have another motherboard from another computer that I'm not using
    > (this mobo has different type RAM). Can I replace the dead
    > motherboard with the other one? If so, what do I have to do to make
    > it work properly? What to do about Activation? Will it let me do
    > all this? The reason I ask is because this will be like putting it
    > another computer won't it, I mean the motherboard, CPU, and RAM will
    > be different. OR can I simply reinstall XP from the CD and replace
    > the small harddrive while I'm at it? Please help. Thank you.

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Move XP to new hardware.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    --