Deleting corrupted files

I am in the process of 'emptying' a laptop to hand it over to someone else,
but some files appear to have become corrupted and will neither open nor
delete. This has occurred only during the attempt to delete as, immediately
prior to this, I copied all files to an external hard drive - and they are OK.

The files now appear as correctly named icons, but cannot be opened (even in
Notepad) and will not move to the recycle bin. The effect is that I am having
to delete files individually ( 1000s of them) as the corrupted files prevent
whole folders deleting.

Is there any way of either restoring the files so they behave normally or
deleting them completely?
--
pedrock

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:D162D090-6487-4F92-88C5-9AECE2AE09AF@microsoft.com,
pedrock <pedrock@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am in the process of 'emptying' a laptop to hand it over to someone
> else, but some files appear to have become corrupted and will neither
> open nor delete. This has occurred only during the attempt to delete
> as, immediately prior to this, I copied all files to an external hard
> drive - and they are OK.
>
> The files now appear as correctly named icons, but cannot be opened
> (even in Notepad) and will not move to the recycle bin. The effect is
> that I am having to delete files individually ( 1000s of them) as
> the corrupted files prevent whole folders deleting.
>
> Is there any way of either restoring the files so they behave
> normally or deleting them completely?

Darik's Boot and Nuke:
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Thank you! That worked fine because I didn't mind wiping my hard drive. Out
of interest, does anybody have any suggestions which would deal with a
'stuck' corrupted file which wouldn't wipe the HD?
--
pedrock