Netgear MR814v1 extend its coverage

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2004 12:54:08 AM

Am I able to extend my MR814v1 wireless coverage with a AP in repeater
mode ? If so, what will be the best AP that I should look for? does it
has to be with same brand as my wireless router ie. Netgear ?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2004 6:47:38 PM

Normally, all access points (including wireless routers) that are to work
together in an Extended Service Set must be the same brand. The APs
coordinate with each other through communications called the Distribution
System (DS). There is a standard for the DS coming out real soon now ;-)
called 802.11F. Until manufacturers start building devices to use that
standard, existing DSs are proprietary, so there is little interoperability
between brands.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Nice4" <nice4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Am I able to extend my MR814v1 wireless coverage with a AP in repeater
> mode ? If so, what will be the best AP that I should look for? does it
> has to be with same brand as my wireless router ie. Netgear ?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 17, 2004 7:50:14 PM

> Normally, all access points (including wireless routers) that are to work
> together in an Extended Service Set must be the same brand. The APs
> coordinate with each other through communications called the Distribution
> System (DS). There is a standard for the DS coming out real soon now ;-)
> called 802.11F. Until manufacturers start building devices to use that
> standard, existing DSs are proprietary, so there is little interoperability
> between brands.
So same brand is a MUST at this point, then does this MR814v1 wireless
router (or any other wireless router) will be capable to communicate
its own brand AP in repeater mode ?
a b F Wireless
June 18, 2004 10:02:54 AM

> > Normally, all access points (including wireless routers) that are to
work
> > together in an Extended Service Set must be the same brand. The APs
> > coordinate with each other through communications called the
Distribution
> > System (DS). There is a standard for the DS coming out real soon now
;-)
> > called 802.11F. Until manufacturers start building devices to use that
> > standard, existing DSs are proprietary, so there is little
interoperability
> > between brands.
> So same brand is a MUST at this point, then does this MR814v1 wireless
> router (or any other wireless router) will be capable to communicate
> its own brand AP in repeater mode ?

Not all APs have a repeater mode.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 3:03:43 PM

> > So same brand is a MUST at this point, then does this MR814v1 wireless
> > router (or any other wireless router) will be capable to communicate
> > its own brand AP in repeater mode ?
>
> Not all APs have a repeater mode.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
I have tried with a Tecnew made AP, it claims it has AP/AP
Client/Bridge/Repeater, sounds very high profile device. I just can
not make it to work. It seems there two things that confused me - a
setup issue or because it is with two different brand.

- Netgear wireless 192.168.0.1 - 5 IPs, the 4 and 5 are not used.
Gateway is 192.168.0.1
- I assigned 192.168.0.5 to the AP( also tried IP out of its range
like 192.168.0.100 as well), and point to gateway 192.168.0.1
- setup same SSID/Channel as the router and no WEP. I have both MAC
defined on each others - the router and the AP.
- another PC with USB wireless card (normall used to connect to the
router) is used to test the above setup. I do see both APs pops up on
my scanning screen. If I connect it to the router, it works fine as
usual, but not via my AP. Noticed the router's 'device attached
screen' didn't show the AP ever connect to it which I assumed it
should if there is communication between them.

So obviously the AP does not talk to my router at all. I really wanted
to find out if it is my incorrect setup caused the problem or it is
due to a different brand of products issue here.
!