MSIEXEC.EXE missing along with other key folders....

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hello All,

Recently, I realized that I was missing msiexec.exe. After failing to
find out why, decided to go into $NT Uninstall folder and extract it.
To my shock, I could not locate the folder anywhere (I have show hidden
and system files enabled). Also missing is c:\..\Service Pack Folder\.
In Services.msc, my Windows installer is set to automatic. I have XP
Pro with SP2 and it is a fairly recent install. During installation, I
received no errors.

Does anyone know the answer to this bizare issue?

If you haven't done so you might want to uncheck the option Hide Protected
Operating System Files. It might be in there.

"Dana" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Recently, I realized that I was missing msiexec.exe. After failing to
> find out why, decided to go into $NT Uninstall folder and extract it.
> To my shock, I could not locate the folder anywhere (I have show hidden
> and system files enabled). Also missing is c:\..\Service Pack Folder\.
> In Services.msc, my Windows installer is set to automatic. I have XP
> Pro with SP2 and it is a fairly recent install. During installation, I
> received no errors.
>
> Does anyone know the answer to this bizare issue?

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Thanks for your reply. However, the tasks listed on this site assume
that I have msiexec.exe located in the original folder or elsewhere.
In my case, the file is completely non-existant.

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

As my original message stated, I have show hidden files and system
files enabled. Thanks for trying..

Dana

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Thanks Galen,

Your reply was actually quiet helpful. The sfc command restored my
DLLCACHE folder. From here, I was able to copy the MSIEXEC.EXE file to
c:\windows\system32\ folder. Now, I can install programs without
receiving any error messages.

This didn't, however, restore my $NTUninstall folder or my Service Pack
FIles folder. At the moment they are not important because my system
seems to be running fine without it. Just wondering if I might
encounter future issues with it. Any thoughts?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1127175309.830651.225560@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Dana <rtsahil@gmail.com> had this to say:

> Hello All,
>
> Recently, I realized that I was missing msiexec.exe. After failing to
> find out why, decided to go into $NT Uninstall folder and extract it.
> To my shock, I could not locate the folder anywhere (I have show
> hidden and system files enabled). Also missing is c:\..\Service Pack
> Folder\. In Services.msc, my Windows installer is set to automatic. I
> have XP Pro with SP2 and it is a fairly recent install. During
> installation, I received no errors.
>
> Does anyone know the answer to this bizare issue?

Have you tried method 2 (as much of it as you can) from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315346

Consider, also, start > run > type "sfc /scannow" (note the space and don't
use the quotes) and pressing enter and insert the disk when asked.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1127184703.737858.111750@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
Dana <rtsahil@gmail.com> had this to say:

> Thanks Galen,
>
> Your reply was actually quiet helpful. The sfc command restored my
> DLLCACHE folder. From here, I was able to copy the MSIEXEC.EXE file
> to c:\windows\system32\ folder. Now, I can install programs without
> receiving any error messages.
>
> This didn't, however, restore my $NTUninstall folder or my Service
> Pack FIles folder. At the moment they are not important because my
> system seems to be running fine without it. Just wondering if I might
> encounter future issues with it. Any thoughts?

You *should* not unless you plan on uninstalling updates that are already
installed or the service pack. Other than that you should be just fine.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes