voodoo 5500 fans

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
hi!

Anyone tried or have a opinion on how safe it would be to remove the fans on my v5500 graphics card? These two fans make to much noise, and I would like to have a graphic card that makes no sounds but still is enough for fps games. I dont like to buy a new one...
So.. If I cut the power wires and put on a heatsink where the fans was, could it be enough?
My average case temp is around 33-35 celsius.

Also.. Is it safe to run my epox 8kha+ without the fan on the northbridge and put a heatsink on that one too?

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
This obviously depends on how large a passive heatsink you fit... also how much airflow you have in your case espeacially around the card....
I figure that if your case is quiet enough for the V5 noise to annoy you, you haven't got enough airflow !

Removing the fans should be easy enough... and if it goes wrong just put them back...

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I had that card and I never heard the fans...And you're hearing it over the PSU, CPU fans? You got the case covers on? Maybe the fans are worn and are louder than normal? Those fans are there for a reason. Unless you want to put a LARGE heatsink on the northbridge, and 3dfx chips, I suggest you leave the active cooling in place.

I sold my sig for $50.

G

Don't Cut any wires..

You can just unplug the 2 connectors if you want to try it without active cooling. I wouldn't recomment using the 5500 without both fan and heat sink, the card runs hot even when not under a load, todays games will over heat the card and freeze you out.
If anything, you could buy a Cooling Kit for the 5500 that offers better cooling using Blue Orb Fans and heat sinks.
I removed the heat sinks and fans from my old 5500 and put the Blue Orb setup on it and it handled things pretty good till I bought a KYRO II card that kicked it's but and then a GeForce2 Ti which killed the KYRO II and then a GeForce 3-Ti-200 that killed the GF2-Ti and Now my RADEON 8500/128 MB kills the GF3-Ti-200.

You can get an old GeForce2 MX-400 that's more powerful than the 5500 for $45.00 or a GeForce 4 MX 440 for $129 that's as much as 6X as powerful as your 5500

Take it with you, be a MobileGamer :wink: