Providing services for 802.11b and 802.11g on the cisco 12..

Hi All,

I have an issue with the Cisco 1231G wireless access points.

I have to provide access for clients with 802.11b cards and also
clients with 802.11g cards.

The documentation at the following URL's indicate that this is
possible using the access point that I have mentioned.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_data_sheet09186a00800937a6.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/index.html

I also find the same information on the linksys site regarding their
WAP54G wireless G access point.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=608

I have trolled through the cisco website but I cannot find any
information on how this can be achieved.

I rang our suppliers and the engineer I spoke to informed me that this
is not the case, you CANNOT enable 802.11b client card connections to
a Cisco 1231G you have to buy the Cisco 1231b.

I understood that the 802.11g standard allowed for backwards
compatibility with 802.11b clients ?

If anyone can help me out here I would be grateful ?

Cheers ...
Drop the ZZZ to reply

Cheers ...

Your access point must be running IOS version 12.2(13)JA or later. Version
12.2(11)JA won't support 802.11g. I believe you just have to enable the
data rates that you want to use. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801d0179.html#wp1035986

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Chris Davies" <z400d3ZZZ@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have an issue with the Cisco 1231G wireless access points.
>
> I have to provide access for clients with 802.11b cards and also
> clients with 802.11g cards.
>
> The documentation at the following URL's indicate that this is
> possible using the access point that I have mentioned.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_data_sheet09186a00800937a6.html

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/index.html
>
> I also find the same information on the linksys site regarding their
> WAP54G wireless G access point.
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=608
>
> I have trolled through the cisco website but I cannot find any
> information on how this can be achieved.
>
> I rang our suppliers and the engineer I spoke to informed me that this
> is not the case, you CANNOT enable 802.11b client card connections to
> a Cisco 1231G you have to buy the Cisco 1231b.
>
> I understood that the 802.11g standard allowed for backwards
> compatibility with 802.11b clients ?
>
> If anyone can help me out here I would be grateful ?
>
> Cheers ...
> Drop the ZZZ to reply
>
> Cheers ...

I think I have cracked it,

It seems that you can have B and G clients connected as long as you
limit the speed so that you only have the B range enabled.

This does of course mean that any G clients connecting will only get a
maximum speed of 11M.

I have included some of the IOS config ...

interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
!
ssid tsunami
authentication open
guest-mode
!
speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 basic-11.0
rts threshold 2312
station-role root
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 1 source-learning
no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
end

Now to see if 802.11b cards will support LEAP.

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:21:03 -0700, Aaron Leonard <Aaron@Cisco.COM>
wrote:

>It is so, all APs with 11g radios support 11b clients. You
>just have to make sure that the APs are not configured with
>any of the 802.11g OFDM rates set to "required".
>
>Aaron

Drop the ZZZ to reply

Cheers ...

It seems I may have a small bug in my IOS software ..

Quote from cisco site ..

"On the 802.11g radio, the default option sets data rates 1, 2, 5.5,
and 11 to basic, and data rates 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, and 54 to
enabled. These data rate settings allow both 802.11b and 802.11g
client devices to associate to the access point's 802.11g radio. "

Although this looked to be set, after manually setting all the G
speeds to default and the B speeds to basic all seems to be ok.

One warning to anyone heading down this path .. make sure that any G
cards you are working with have the latest drivers and that any B
cards have the latest firmware as well.

Thank you to everyone who helped out with this problem.

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:41:24 +0100, Chris Davies
<z400d3ZZZ@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have an issue with the Cisco 1231G wireless access points.
>
>I have to provide access for clients with 802.11b cards and also
>clients with 802.11g cards.
>
>The documentation at the following URL's indicate that this is
>possible using the access point that I have mentioned.
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_data_sheet09186a00800937a6.html
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/index.html
>
>I also find the same information on the linksys site regarding their
>WAP54G wireless G access point.
>
>http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=608
>
>I have trolled through the cisco website but I cannot find any
>information on how this can be achieved.
>
>I rang our suppliers and the engineer I spoke to informed me that this
>is not the case, you CANNOT enable 802.11b client card connections to
>a Cisco 1231G you have to buy the Cisco 1231b.
>
>I understood that the 802.11g standard allowed for backwards
>compatibility with 802.11b clients ?
>
>If anyone can help me out here I would be grateful ?
>
>Cheers ...
>Drop the ZZZ to reply
>
>Cheers ...

Drop the ZZZ to reply