lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
I have a friend that recently bought a computer with XP Home on it. She lives out in the country, so has to use a dial-up connection for the internet. She says she's only getting speeds of about 24k.

I'm going to go out and take a look at her machine, but haven't had a chance to play around with XP yet. Are there any adjustments that can be made to increase her connection speeds? I'll probably disable the automatic update service and teach her how to do it herself regularly. Seems to me that in Win98 there used to be programs that would adjust packet sizes too to increase the connection speed.

Any other tweaks that will enhance her computer? I've read administration privilieges definately need to be password protected.

Thanks.

Lymponus

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope." - Sir Winston Churchill

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
There are registry tweaks that can optimize Windows network performance - see <A HREF="http://www.speedguide.net" target="_new">SpeedGuide.net</A> for some ideas.

With a dial-up though - the connection speed is first and foremost a function of line quality. And if your friend lives in the boondocks, line quality is probably poor.

Feel free to mess around with reg tweaks, but I would be damn surprised if you actually saw any improvement.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>