D-Link Problems - WEP/WPA-PSK Remote Access

Dear All,

I have a D-Link DI-724P+ with a DWL-G520+ card in the remote computer.

I am running Windows XP on both machines, however I am having problems
with connection and reconnection.

The system refuses to work with anything more than 64bit WEP enabled. I
have tried to increase this incrementally, however it then fails to
find the Access Point. WPA-PSK also does not work although I have
followed the MS install and D-Link set up procedures. Even with the
64bit WEP, the connection regularly fails. It drops the link 5 or ten
times an hour, and then reconnects automatically. When first loging-in,
the link is never found. It is necessary to double click on the "White"
bar chart icon (D-Link configurator) and releclect the profile for
editing. Do not change any of the settings, but then close the profile,
and the link is established, albeit in the shaky form described above.

Network signal strength is always reported as good, and I do not appear
to have any electromagnetic sources in the location that should
interfere with clean reception.

In addition, I had planned to remotly administer the WiFi computer from
my main computer. This is impossible as the WiFi does not appear to
reun as a service under Windows XP. Is this correct. I had expected to
be able to switch on the computer, and then login and administer
remotely, however I must login, and establish the connection manually
before any remote desktop can be tried, and due to the network drops,
this is not reliable either.

These issues are not being solved by D-Link technical support, and I
have filed my complaint with them awaiting a realistic solution. Any
assistance you can offer would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance

--
Donchik

It sure sounds like a unit defect to me. Try using your remote computer on
a friend's WLAN to determine if the problem is with the router or the PCI
adapter. Then exchange the bad unit at the store where you bought it.

BTW, I couldn't find the DI-724P+ on D-Link's web-site. Is that the right
model number?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Donchik" <Donchik.17uf8z@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

> Dear All,
>
> I have a D-Link DI-724P+ with a DWL-G520+ card in the remote computer.
>
> I am running Windows XP on both machines, however I am having problems
> with connection and reconnection.
>
> The system refuses to work with anything more than 64bit WEP enabled. I
> have tried to increase this incrementally, however it then fails to
> find the Access Point. WPA-PSK also does not work although I have
> followed the MS install and D-Link set up procedures. Even with the
> 64bit WEP, the connection regularly fails. It drops the link 5 or ten
> times an hour, and then reconnects automatically. When first loging-in,
> the link is never found. It is necessary to double click on the "White"
> bar chart icon (D-Link configurator) and releclect the profile for
> editing. Do not change any of the settings, but then close the profile,
> and the link is established, albeit in the shaky form described above.
>
> Network signal strength is always reported as good, and I do not appear
> to have any electromagnetic sources in the location that should
> interfere with clean reception.
>
> In addition, I had planned to remotly administer the WiFi computer from
> my main computer. This is impossible as the WiFi does not appear to
> reun as a service under Windows XP. Is this correct. I had expected to
> be able to switch on the computer, and then login and administer
> remotely, however I must login, and establish the connection manually
> before any remote desktop can be tried, and due to the network drops,
> this is not reliable either.
>
> These issues are not being solved by D-Link technical support, and I
> have filed my complaint with them awaiting a realistic solution. Any
> assistance you can offer would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance
>

> --
> Donchik

While searching the cosmos for some sign of intelligent life, I heard
Donchik <Donchik.17uf8z@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> declare in

> Dear All,
>
> I have a D-Link DI-724P+ with a DWL-G520+ card in the remote computer.
>
> I am running Windows XP on both machines, however I am having problems
> with connection and reconnection.
>
> The system refuses to work with anything more than 64bit WEP enabled. I
> have tried to increase this incrementally, however it then fails to
> find the Access Point. WPA-PSK also does not work although I have
> followed the MS install and D-Link set up procedures. Even with the
> 64bit WEP, the connection regularly fails. It drops the link 5 or ten
> times an hour, and then reconnects automatically. When first loging-in,
> the link is never found. It is necessary to double click on the "White"
> bar chart icon (D-Link configurator) and releclect the profile for
> editing. Do not change any of the settings, but then close the profile,
> and the link is established, albeit in the shaky form described above.
>
> Network signal strength is always reported as good, and I do not appear
> to have any electromagnetic sources in the location that should
> interfere with clean reception.
>
> In addition, I had planned to remotly administer the WiFi computer from
> my main computer. This is impossible as the WiFi does not appear to
> reun as a service under Windows XP. Is this correct. I had expected to
> be able to switch on the computer, and then login and administer
> remotely, however I must login, and establish the connection manually
> before any remote desktop can be tried, and due to the network drops,
> this is not reliable either.
>
> These issues are not being solved by D-Link technical support, and I
> have filed my complaint with them awaiting a realistic solution. Any
> assistance you can offer would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance

FWIW, my DI-784 + AWL-AG660 set on 801.11a (on an XP laptop) drops and
recaptures my wireless router every 10 seconds in WPA-PSK. Doesn't happen
when I use 152-bit WEP. Get good signal strength and link quality on both.

Like you, I configured both router and card according to D-Link
instructions. However, I don't use XP to manage the wireless connection; I
use the D-Link configuration utility.

Insight

--
"Well, I wasn't going to let the thing chomp us," she said. "What's the
use of going on a quest if you just get eaten?"

Sorceress Iris

Geis Of The Gargoyle
by Piers Anthony