How can I save a web page with URL also saved perm

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hi,

I would like to save some web pages with URL intact.

If I save them as favorites and then copy and paste them in another data folder on another drive which is not the OS drive, will I be able to use them in future say 3 years later on another system and another drive besides the OS drive and may be another Version of Windows OS with the URL intact?

Besides saving them as favorites, is there any other way to accomplish this? i.e. saving them with URL starting with http:// www.xyz.com and not with the local drive letter like E:\blah blah blah.htm

Thanks

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I assume you just want to be able to locate these webpages again once you've viewed them, right? You dont want to physically download the contents of the webpage to your harddrive. ?

Favorites are saved just like any other file. They have a path, as you stated E:\blah blah blah, but that's not the important part. The URL information is saved without any tie to the file location. It doesnt matter what drive or what folder your favorites are in, they'll work from anywhere.

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hi kinetic tw,

Yes, I would like to physically download and save those pages on my hard drive for future use

I would like to be able to retrieve those web pages just like I am downloading them from the site with site’s URL address and not the hard drive address but I do not want to visit the site and would like to have those pages saved on my hard drive so that even if that site or that web page doesn’t exist say a few days or a few years later I still can retrieve them immediately from my hard drive or from a Cd on which I have saved them with URL address and not the hard drive address.

Am I making clear as to what I want?

I would like to click on a saved file on my hard drive and have that file actually open with the original URL http://www.blahblahblah.com in the address area in the Internet Explorer.

Hope You can help.

Thanks
Greg

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Accessing things on your hard drive using "http://...." in the url area is not possible unless you are running a web server. Even then, you'd type in your ip/domain/localhost to access files in your computer.

You cannot save a webpage in your harddrive from a remote site and access the saved copy using the same url. You'd have to doubleclick the saved file, or load it from your browser. Either way, you end up with the local url of the file, i.e. file:///d:\....

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hi HolyGrenade,

Happy & Prosperous New Year !

How about saving them in favorites folder making them available off line and then copy that folder from OS drive to another hard drive to save it permenantly in case I have to Reinstall my OS in future.

OR

Can I save that Favorites folder on a cd and load it whenever I need it?

Please help.

I really have to save those web pages with URL. There must be a way.

Thank You ,
Greg

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
You can backup your favourites folder. How to do it depends on the version of windows you are using.

I don't do that though. I have a directory called web. When I want to save an article from a site, I make a subdirectory in there with the site name, and then save the complete page in that directory.

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

TRENDING THREADS