UK cordless phones interfere w/ 802.11b?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 14, 2004 11:25:29 AM

I've seen a lot of web posts (from NA) about ~2GHZ home cordless
phones interfering with 802.11b WLANs. I've got 802.11b at home (in
the UK) and want to get a cordless, but am wondering if there's any
problem.

In NA, there are older 900MHz and newer 5.8GHz cordless phones that
will avoid int problems with 802.11b. But I haven't seen any 5.8GHz
cordless phones here in the UK. And, while I've found UK phone
frequency info hard to come by (maybe because it's not an issue), I've
found that all current Panasonic phones, for example, operate at
1.8-1.9GHz. Panasonic tells me this should produce no interference
with my 802.11b.

True? Any other thoughts, opinions, experiences? The lack of any info
from outside NA leads me to believe this may not be a problem. Maybe
I'm just being over-cautious?

More about : cordless phones interfere 802 11b

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 7:40:00 PM

Tim wrote:
> I've seen a lot of web posts (from NA) about ~2GHZ home cordless
> phones interfering with 802.11b WLANs. I've got 802.11b at home (in
> the UK) and want to get a cordless, but am wondering if there's any
> problem.
>
> In NA, there are older 900MHz and newer 5.8GHz cordless phones that
> will avoid int problems with 802.11b. But I haven't seen any 5.8GHz
> cordless phones here in the UK. And, while I've found UK phone
> frequency info hard to come by (maybe because it's not an issue), I've
> found that all current Panasonic phones, for example, operate at
> 1.8-1.9GHz. Panasonic tells me this should produce no interference
> with my 802.11b.
>
> True? Any other thoughts, opinions, experiences? The lack of any info
> from outside NA leads me to believe this may not be a problem. Maybe
> I'm just being over-cautious?

I have a UK Panasonic DECT and an Ericsson DECT phone and an 11b/g network,
plus several Bluetooth devices (2 laptops, 2 PDAs, 2 mobile phones) and a
video sender and they all work perfectly within the confines of my 3 bed
semi. The 2 * 11g laptops will also work at the bottom of the garden, about
80' from the wireless router.

I can sometimes see a little interference on the TV upstairs when the
bedroom laptop is turned on (11b card) but that's about it. The only thing
that seems to hit network throughput is the microwave but even that does not
drop the network to below my broadband speeds. My 11g might drop from 54Mbps
to 18Mbps at worst.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
Anonymous

> found that all current Panasonic phones, for example, operate at
> 1.8-1.9GHz. Panasonic tells me this should produce no interference
> with my 802.11b.

DECT is ~ 1.9GHz and therefore does not interfere with 2.4GHz wireless
stuff.

David.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:04:35 AM

I have yet to see a 2.4Ghz phone in the UK. All the "Digital" cordless
phones are DECT and they won't even come close to interfering with a WLAN.
In my experience the worst offenders are the wireless video "extenders" that
are available....

"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tim wrote:
> > I've seen a lot of web posts (from NA) about ~2GHZ home cordless
> > phones interfering with 802.11b WLANs. I've got 802.11b at home (in
> > the UK) and want to get a cordless, but am wondering if there's any
> > problem.
> >
> > In NA, there are older 900MHz and newer 5.8GHz cordless phones that
> > will avoid int problems with 802.11b. But I haven't seen any 5.8GHz
> > cordless phones here in the UK. And, while I've found UK phone
> > frequency info hard to come by (maybe because it's not an issue), I've
> > found that all current Panasonic phones, for example, operate at
> > 1.8-1.9GHz. Panasonic tells me this should produce no interference
> > with my 802.11b.
> >
> > True? Any other thoughts, opinions, experiences? The lack of any info
> > from outside NA leads me to believe this may not be a problem. Maybe
> > I'm just being over-cautious?
>
> I have a UK Panasonic DECT and an Ericsson DECT phone and an 11b/g
network,
> plus several Bluetooth devices (2 laptops, 2 PDAs, 2 mobile phones) and a
> video sender and they all work perfectly within the confines of my 3 bed
> semi. The 2 * 11g laptops will also work at the bottom of the garden,
about
> 80' from the wireless router.
>
> I can sometimes see a little interference on the TV upstairs when the
> bedroom laptop is turned on (11b card) but that's about it. The only thing
> that seems to hit network throughput is the microwave but even that does
not
> drop the network to below my broadband speeds. My 11g might drop from
54Mbps
> to 18Mbps at worst.
>
> --
> Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 8:39:28 AM

"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The only thing
> that seems to hit network throughput is the microwave but even that does
not
> drop the network to below my broadband speeds. My 11g might drop from
54Mbps
> to 18Mbps at worst.

Wow. You have a good microwave oven. If I'm in the kitchen with my laptop
(802.11b) when the microwave turns on, I get knocked off the network
completely. But my oven is about 16 years old.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!