How to Install/Config/software(how/which) on a new XP Pro SP1a system?
I have searched 4 months(till Sept 1st) of this forum and not seen this issue addressed.
I am building a new system(hardware below) and will be installing XP pro SP1a and was wondering if someone here had weblinks or advice on how to best install XP pro and what software to install onto a new system and the exact procedures(order of install and what software titles are must have/nice to have on any system).
1. How to do a new intall of XP Pro SP1a and things to be aware of and concerned with? What are the links to get the all the updates to SP1a? What parts of XP must I install? nice to install? and ones i probably don't need?
2.What is the best way to configure a new harddrive for performance?(for everyone else and then specifically my hard drive 250gb SATA). What are the concerns when deciding how big your partitions will be in XP?
3. When do you try to overclock computer? before adding new software(anti-virius, firewall etc)?
4. When do you update chipset drivers and other drivers?
5. What back up software and when do you install it? Do you create a backup each step of the way or is that too anal?
6. When/how do you convert your drive to NTFS?
7. When do you create a startup disk and how do you do it on XP?
8. When and how(which software) do you burn in your system and verify it's perfomance?
9. What software apps are must have and nice to have on a new system and what is the order that you should install them(anti-virus, firewall, internet service, back up,spybot, adblocker, anti-spam and etc)? Does the order that you install these different apps matter as to whether they play nicely with each other or is there any reason to be concerned with the order of install?
This is something that I think would help all builders of new systems. Are there weblinks or books that deal with exactly this subject? MaximumPC did an article in May 2003 that was called 30-tip plan for the perfect PC and dealt with this exact subject. I don't want to rely just on one source plus you guys may have different opinions that are better or weblinks to other resources.
I think that this would be a great FAQ for this particular forum.
ATI AIW RADEON 9600PRO 128M 8X
CPU AMD 64 3000+ ATHLON 64
Kingston HyperX (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 Model: KHX3200AK2/1G
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Cas Latency: 2-3-2-6-1T
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 7Y250M0, OEM Drive Only
Average Seek Time: 9 ms
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
I did a search by username for all posts in the motherboard section under you name and there was no a single post listed. Your alleged post in your letter is missing and I am not mocking you as my post is original. You may have posted your post in the motherboard forum yet it is more appropriate in my opinion under the OS forums as it is dealing more so with OSs and apps than with motherboards. Please post a link to your post so I and others may access.