Sign in with
Your question

Install/Config/software(how/which) new XP system??

Last response: in Windows XP
December 28, 2003 6:50:14 PM

How to Install/Config/software(how/which) on a new XP Pro SP1a system?

Hello,
I have searched 4 months(till Sept 1st) of this forum and not seen this issue addressed.

I am building a new system(hardware below) and will be installing XP pro SP1a and was wondering if someone here had weblinks or advice on how to best install XP pro and what software to install onto a new system and the exact procedures(order of install and what software titles are must have/nice to have on any system).

1. How to do a new intall of XP Pro SP1a and things to be aware of and concerned with? What are the links to get the all the updates to SP1a? What parts of XP must I install? nice to install? and ones i probably don't need?
2.What is the best way to configure a new harddrive for performance?(for everyone else and then specifically my hard drive 250gb SATA). What are the concerns when deciding how big your partitions will be in XP?
3. When do you try to overclock computer? before adding new software(anti-virius, firewall etc)?
4. When do you update chipset drivers and other drivers?
5. What back up software and when do you install it? Do you create a backup each step of the way or is that too anal?
6. When/how do you convert your drive to NTFS?
7. When do you create a startup disk and how do you do it on XP?
8. When and how(which software) do you burn in your system and verify it's perfomance?
9. What software apps are must have and nice to have on a new system and what is the order that you should install them(anti-virus, firewall, internet service, back up,spybot, adblocker, anti-spam and etc)? Does the order that you install these different apps matter as to whether they play nicely with each other or is there any reason to be concerned with the order of install?

This is something that I think would help all builders of new systems. Are there weblinks or books that deal with exactly this subject? MaximumPC did an article in May 2003 that was called 30-tip plan for the perfect PC and dealt with this exact subject. I don't want to rely just on one source plus you guys may have different opinions that are better or weblinks to other resources.
thanks
I think that this would be a great FAQ for this particular forum.

System:
ATI AIW RADEON 9600PRO 128M 8X

CPU AMD 64 3000+ ATHLON 64

Kingston HyperX (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 Model: KHX3200AK2/1G
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2-3-2-6-1T
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit

Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 7Y250M0, OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 250GB
Average Seek Time: 9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: S.M.A.R.T.

Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW-BL, Retail
Specifications:
Model: PX-708A/SW-B
Write Speed: 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM/CD-R, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: Internal IDE

Shuttle XPC Barebone System for Socket 754 AMD Athlon 64 CPU, Model SN85G4
Specifications:
CPU Support: AMD Athlon 64 CPU (Socket 754, 1600MHz HyperTransport technology)
Chipsets: nVidia nForce3 150
Memory: 2x 184pin (DDR400 up to 2GB)
IDE: 2x ATA133, 2x SATA
Graphics: N/A
Expansion Slot: 1x PCI, 1x AGP 8X
Audio: Realtek ALC 650
LAN: Realtek 8201BL
Extension Bay: 1x 3.5", 1x 5.25"
Front Panel Ports: 2x USB, 1x mini 1394, Audio ports, 6-in-1 card reader
Back Panel Ports: 1x LPT, 1x COM, 2x PS/2, 1x SPDIF_In, 1x SPDIF_Out, 1x RJ45, 1x 1394, 2x USB, Audio ports
Power Supply: 240W(PFC)
Buffer: 2 MB

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - Full Version OEM
December 28, 2003 8:32:12 PM

Are you mocking me ;) 

(see my post below and in motherboard section, asked exactly same thing)
December 28, 2003 9:58:05 PM

dude, relax

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
December 29, 2003 8:02:02 PM

Hello Dibo,
I did a search by username for all posts in the motherboard section under you name and there was no a single post listed. Your alleged post in your letter is missing and I am not mocking you as my post is original. You may have posted your post in the motherboard forum yet it is more appropriate in my opinion under the OS forums as it is dealing more so with OSs and apps than with motherboards. Please post a link to your post so I and others may access.
thanks
!