Sign in with
Your question

What Graphic fit my MVP3 board?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2002 1:21:04 AM

My system is DFI P5BV3+(MVP3) board and K6-2/500.
My original VGA card is Savage3D 8M. Now I plan to change a new VGA card. I have no idea what kind of card fit my system: the CPU, the voltage...
In my opinion, ATI rage128,128pro,MGA G400,Savage2000,V3 2k,V3 3k, they are all available.
pls give me advice.

More about : graphic fit mvp3 board

May 17, 2002 1:18:28 PM

I have a similar system. The northbridge will only run to AGPx2, and your cpu is pretty slow (you can probably clock it to 550 or 560), so spending big $ on a card only makes sense if you plan to upgrade the rest later.

What do you want to do with it? I'm guessing 3D is the reason you're upgrading?

My preference would be for a GeForce2 or maybe GeForce3 with at least 32MB (preferably DDR). There's better cards available, but it'll be cheap, games will use the features, and will probably be faster than the rest of the PC. Of the cards you listed, the MGA400 would be an ok alternative with good image quality, but check the amount of RAM.

Basically, as long as the card supports AGPx2, is 3D accelerated, and has 32MB it will go ok. For compatibility, the cpu, voltage etc don't really matter, only the the slot (AGP or PCI) and the speed (1x 2x 4x 8x).

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2002 11:02:45 PM

Most MVP3 boards had problems with high power graphics cards, these problems first started showing up with the TNT2 Ultra. ATX boards may do better than AT boards, but I haven't owned any ATX MVP3 boards to check.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Related resources
May 18, 2002 2:55:32 AM

My FIC 503+ motherbard was power switchable, ATX or AT. A Geforce256 was horribly unstable with my AT power supply (235 watts). Later I installed a 300 watt ATX PSU, a little more stable. Finally I tracked down the very last Via 3-in-1 (not 4-in-1) drivers and finally the Geforce256 was stable (well stable enough to play several hours of games) with no more spontaneous reboots.

300 watts is more than a K6-2 400mhz system should need but I do believe the ATX power supply at least contributed to improved stability. (Maybe it was the 300 watts).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
May 18, 2002 1:41:40 PM

I found that my FIC 503+ has "issues" when running in AGP mode in some 3D games too. I got hardlocks occasionaly - with a poxy 8MB Vanta - but since disabling AGP acceleration it's ok. I suspect the newer drivers did something similar.

I'm running a decent 300W ATX PSU as well, and that AGP thing aside, the system is super stable (even o'clocked, with 2 video cards etc).

May 18, 2002 3:12:22 PM

I left out some details.

I gave up on AGP 2X and stayed with AGP 1X.

Occasional freezing with looping sound was the other problem the system used to have. Somewhere along the way I learned out how to eliminate this. The key is to do a clean install of the 3-in-1 driver, followed by a clean install of nVidia drivers (Geforce cards only) and a clean install of directX. This found this fixed a host of problems not only my FIC 503+ board (MVP3) but also my Duron and Athlon systems (KT133 and KT133A chipsets for which I use the newest 4-in-1 drivers). Whenever I update one of the above (and also a motherboard BIOS) I do a clean install of all. Saves lots of headaches.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
May 18, 2002 5:41:30 PM

gee, whas the differnce between an atx an at powersupply, i have a similar prob with a tnt2 ultra on my p2 400, it freezes every hour or so, so will changing the power-supply solve the prob? i thought it was something to do with agp port being 1.0 compatible?
May 18, 2002 6:25:08 PM

Who knows? It could be a whole bunch of things causing your lock-ups. If it's just randomly locking up, I'd check the memory first, or suspect broken software. If you think it's the AGP port, just set it to 1x in the BIOS, and see if the problem goes away.

The difference between an old AT PSU and a decent new ATX one is a stable, clean supply of power to the system.

a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2002 10:29:27 PM

It's a lot of things. To begin with, you have a 3.3v AGP slot, but AT power supplies have no 3.3v line. So with AT, you rely on the onboard voltage controller, which is usually too weak for power hungry video cards.

Now even some ATX power supplied boards still had problems, becuase the power circuites on the board itself were too thin. Some people fixed that by soldering wires from the 3.3v power supply pins to the 3.3v AGP power pins, on the back of the board.

The TNT2 is also fussy about drivers, while you really shouldn't use Detonator 3 drivers on a card that old, I've found the 6.31 version to be stable.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
!