Should I get a GeForce4 TI4600

WhiT3Kr0w

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
If you have the money for it then go ahead buy it.
Its the best card money can buy.
I am waiting for the GF4TI4200, I think its the best card around (price/perfomance).

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, if have endlessly deep pockets, go right ahead. (I suggest the Leadtek.) But I'd much rather wait a while until I see how R300/NV30/P10/Parhelia do against each other, then make a decision then. Wait another 1/2 a year if you can.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
No, can't wait 1/2 year. I was hoping to know sooner then that, like weeks. I have a few other things I want to get, I'll put the card last in line. Maybe a month, if I can wait that long. Most of the cards are around the same price, and Leadtek is the one I'm considering.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well, would you consider getting a lower end card (like Ti4400 Leadtek again, or a Ti4200, Gainward. They have 4ns RAM on their 128MB) and then seeing how the future cards do. Maybe save some money for a future upgrade. Well, it's your call, the Ti4600 should easily pull you past to DX10 cards. MMMM........ *slobber*

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I really don't think that this card will mek Nvidia or ATi wory much at all. Since that card will cost even more than the highest end Nvidia/ATi cards. The main market is in the value segment of the market. Unless they make a Parhelia 256 or something, then I really don't think that they could seriously challenge either company.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
What I meant by sweat was, kick their butt with this new card. If it does I'll be interested, since this card will be my last for a while.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I've put together the following upgrade:

AMD XP 2000 $155.00
Asus A7V333 $120.00
ATI Radeon 8500 $215.00
80Gb WD SE, 7200rpm $127.00
256Mb Corsair PC3000 DDR
Win XP Home Edition $88.00
Plextor 40x12x40 CD-RW $135.00
Enermax 431W PS $83.00
TOTAL: $1,067.00

I'm also tempted by the Asus TI4600 card, but not sure because of the extra $$$. And the new Matrox card has me intrigued. Man...I don't know what to do. I'll probably post soon and ask for advice/recommendations once I've got all the cash ready for buying.

BTW, all the above prices are from Newegg.com.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
<font color=red>Man...I don't know what to do</font color=red>

Boy your telling me, I'm going nuts over here. Buying a video card has never been harder. At least when I bought my gf2 ultra card it stayed the tope card for sometime.
I bought a new IIyama monitor, and some 500watts speakers today, also 2-Maxtor HDD and a Abits KR7A 133R mobo. So I'll have great sound and visual, with only my gf2 Ultra card pushing the graphics.

XP1800............................Old
Abits KR7A 133R mobo... Hold me over
Gf2Ultra...........................Got to go
2-20Gb Maxtors...............Kind of wish I got the Top WD
Win98se.........................Still my Gaming OS
HP 10X8X4......................Got to go
Enermax 431W................Do the wires really have to be so long?
IIyama.............................Never thought I would pay this much for a monitor
Cambridge SoundWorks Megaworks 510D Speakers......Let's just go nuts
Video Card......................No sense getting all cheap now.

You have a nice rig there, seems like you should have thought of this before you got your ATI card, unless your going back a month or so.

I like shopping on line, you can keep looking till you find the cheaoest price on something.

All I need now is a video card. I don't know how much longer I can stand it, I feel like I'm going to exsplode.
O, I see you didn't buy yet.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 05/21/02 09:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ATI Radeon 8500 $215???? You should be able to get one online for under $150 easily.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Maybe he means the 128MB version. Also if he's going to spend $215 on a video card, he might want to get the Gainward Ti4200 128MB. They are paired with 4ns RAM which give it a extremely nice headroom for overclock. Also for Flyboy's system, you may want to get 512MB of DDR RAM, preferably Corsair PC2700 XMS DDR. They are really good for o/cing and isn't too expensive like the PC3000 XMS. Do you have a case? If not a Antec 1080 case is quite nice. (Took this idea from someone. Just like to give some credit) That Plextor writer is really expensive compared to a Lite-On, which are just as good. A 40x12x48 Lite-On is only $83. A lot better than the $135 for the Plextor.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I haven't bought any of these components yet. I'm still reading and discussing with guys like you to make sure its a great system- and somewhat reasonable in price. No...unfortunately this is what I currently have:

AMD Athlon 500...........*MUST* get rid of
Asus K7M mobo............I absolutely HATE this mobo
GeForce256...............Much worse than your Ultra
10Gb WD..................Can't even install 7 games!
Win98SE..................Same as you (gaming), but may go to XP
Not sure on my powersupply...its 300W so I intend to replace it with your choice Enermax 431W. Many guys seem to love this PS unit.
Hitachi 751, 19" monitor....Not a bad monitor, but after buying a Sony Triniton 19" for my other system it sucks.
SoundBlaster Live! value sound card. I think I'm going to take FatBurger's advice (to someone else) and get the Santa Cruz. He and others seem to prefer the Turtle Beach card.

Your system looks hot dude. But, I thought the GF2 Ultra would still be pretty good for gaming. What do you score in 3DMark2001? Dunno, just thought your waiting wouldn't be too painful. You mentioned "wishing" for the top WD...are you referring to the Special Edition drives? Yeah, I think these would REALLY be awesome in a RAID setup. I need to have a look at those speakers! 500W!!! HOLY COW! Man you can't go wrong with Cambridge IMO. I have a set of SoundWorks speakers and love em' (really good quality). For your CD-RW, I agree it's a little slow. You might should try the one from Lite-On. I think I'm going to try it over the Plextor since everyone here is saying it is just as good but costs MUCH less.

Still can't get over your choice in speakers. I hope you don't live in an apartment complex. Your neighbors will hate you! I don't anything about the IIyama monitor. How much did it set you back?

Back to the video card...most people here at THG are raving about the ATI Radeon 8500, considering its cost. If you absolutely must buy now, I would probably go with that unless you have deep pockets...get the GeF4.

Good luck! Let me (us) know if you get a video card...I'd like to hear about what you think.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe he means the 128MB version
Yep. I wanted the 128Mb DDR version. I'll have to look into the Gainward Ti4200...hmm.

Also for Flyboy's system, you may want to get 512MB of DDR RAM, preferably Corsair PC2700 XMS DDR
Also good advice. Especially if I can reach 3000 speeds. I think I recall Crashman or AMD_MAN mentioning this. I'll definitely look into this.

That Plextor writer is really expensive compared to a Lite-On, which are just as good
LoL. You beat me to the post! Yeah I think I will go for the Lite-on. I've read it here in numerous posts and it seems that everyone are swearing by it!

As for the case, I already have one. I would love to replace it, but don't want to spend the extra cash. I also want to get rid of the Full-size tower, so the Antec 1080 isn't a good choice for me. The reason is I often go to LAN parties and hate dragging that monster around. I do like the black, but it's a shame that my monitor is white.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey I just checked on newegg.com and didn't see any Corsair XMS DDR. Some of their modules are out of stock. I did find this:

CORSAIR MEMORY CMX512-2700C2 PC2700 DDR RAM 333MHz w/ Heat Spreader - OEM 64x64, Non-ECC, 184-Pin, CAS 2.0 -Unbuffered Requires DDR supported Motherboard - Lifetime Warranty. Model#: CMX512-2700C2 -OEM

I don't know because it'll cost me like an extra 70 bucks. Is it worth it? Or should I stick to 256MB and wait for price drops?

One more thing. I read that the Athlon MPs are more overclockable than the XPs because you can change the multiplier. Is this true?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
As for the case, I already have one. I would love to replace it, but don't want to spend the extra cash. I also want to get rid of the Full-size tower, so the Antec 1080 isn't a good choice for me. The reason is I often go to LAN parties and hate dragging that monster around. I do like the black, but it's a shame that my monitor is white.
I know what you mean. I think that case is about 30lbs-40lbs, so no, not something you want to lug around. I also love black comps. I got a Dell Dimension 8100 with a P4 1.4 (one of those crap 423 socket ones and RDRAM. Before I came on here and learned something about computers of course. Next one I'm building.)

Since you're looking into the Gainward Ti4200 <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1619" target="_new">here's</A> a site. Show's the ptoential for overclock quite well.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Changing the multiplier shouldn't affect level of overclock really. All it could do for you is raise the FSB a little more.

That's the RAM. RAM prices I don't think will drop much more. You can get the 512MB PC2700 XMS for $182. That extra 256MB I think is really worth it.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
All I know about the Gf4 cards is some boards they don't fit, also some problems getting them to work right with WinXP, maybe Win2000 too, not sure about Win98. XP has some driver problem, just what, don't know. All I'll say is it might not be smooth sailing. Outside of that I don't know peep. I'll probably go XP someday, but I'm in no hurry, figure I'll wait till things are better, not that Win98 is trouble free.

I have a Live card, kinda goes good with the speakers I'm getting. I thought about another card, but not sure, at least not now because of the both. I figure Creative is like VIA, some people hate them, I'm not convinced if the others are the solution. IMO, just seem like you gain one thing, but lose something els.

Thanks. My system will do. Like to have a couple Raid 0 SCSI HDD myself, but that would be costly. Yea, my card does pretty good, I can turn everything up, but sometimes it slows down. I didn't do to well in the 3DMark, I don't know what the score was, but I know the Gf3 blew me away. I would like another card to put the resolution all the way up, that should be 1800X1600+

Yea, I'm going Raid 0, but the Top WD will be faster, and that probably is going to keep me awake at night. Those are close to $200. That would be $400. and 240Gb, ouch to both.

I seen another pair of speakers close to the ones I'm getting, each had their good and bad, isn't that always the case. I like to crank them up, and my Yamaha 80watts, just ant cutting it anymore. I'll be in my own little world and the only thing I'll be missing is the Surround Video Gaming. Yap, I live in an apt. I already had to lift my Woofer off the floor. Boo hoo the bass is to loud.

The IIyama monitor cost me $475. w shipping, great for games.

Yea, I post when I get a card, be interesting to see if I go the gf4 rout if I have any problems or not.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yap, I live in an apt. I already had to lift my Woofer off the floor. Boo hoo the bass is to loud.
ROFL...dude I just bought a Pioneer 5.1 Surround sound system with a 100W subwoofer. The guy below me has complained twice now so I had to turn it down almost ALL the way. Did raising it off the floor help?

Yea, I'm going Raid 0, but the Top WD will be faster, and that probably is going to keep me awake at night. Those are close to $200. That would be $400. and 240Gb, ouch to both.
$200 for the 80Gb WD Special Edition drive? Oh wait your referring to the 120Gb I guess. The 80Gb only goes for $123.00. Here's the link:

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=14&manufactory=1306&DEPA=1" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=14&manufactory=1306&DEPA=1</A>

I'm dying to set these new 8Mb cache drives in a RAID setup. I may have to alter my system to get a RAID board...

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yea I would say raising it off the floor helps. Mine is 6" off the floor, turning the base down helps to. It may not sound like a lot of base to you, but that may be all they hear.

Yea I was talking about the 120 Gb. I think the 100Gb is just as fast. I don't know if it speed up games at all, maybe load them faster and transfer info faster. Guess it depends on your needs and if you can justify the cost, if you have deep pocket why not.

WhiT3Kr0w

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Hey guys! I am thinking of buying the following system:

AMD AthlonXP 2000+
Soltek SL75DRV5 Mobo
512MB DDR-SDRAM PC333
40GB Maxtor ATA133 7200RPM
GEFORCE4 TI4200 128MB
Samsung 959NF 19" Monitor
Enlight 7233 MidTower Case with 340W PS
Logitech Z-340 speakers
Keyboard and mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop OpticalSound Blaster Audigy SB1394
DVD-ROM Pioneer 16x Slot in
CDRW 32x10x40x TDK CYCLONE (or MEMOREX 40x12x48)

I dont need better than this, but you can give me your opinion (I would like it).
I am from Portugal, so maybe I cant find some components.

Thanks.