Video Card HELP!

G

Hi there.

I'm hoping someone can help me with some advice regarding video cards. I have to choose between one of two notebooks, the Compaq Presario 725CA or the Sony Vaio PCGFXA47. Both notebooks pretty much feature the same options (the Sony is an Athlon 1GIG and the Compaq Athlon 1.3 GIG) with the exception of the video cards.

The Compaq features a 4X AGP with VIA Prosavage KN133 Integrated Graphics — 16 MB Video Memory (which I believe is shared memory) and the Sony an ATI 8MB Rage Mobility M1 card.

Now I have heard that the Prosavage is not a very good card but it has the option of up to 32 megs, even though it's shared, whereas the ATI is only 8megs, and non upgradable. I want a notebook that I can play some games on but mainly work on graphics apps such as photoshop, 3dsmax, etc, not for any serious work but so long as it works. To sum it up, a notebook that can do a little bit of everything but well enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would be a better buy? I would prefer to go with Sony, but the CPU is slower and the card has less RAM making the Compaq seem a better buy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Richard

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Your seriously considering Compaq? I'm gonna laugh till i cry...the company doesnt even exist anymore.

I highly HIGHLY HHHHHHIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY suggest you take a much closer look at IBM and Dell's offerings. Both are FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR superior to either one your looking at. My personal recommendation would be an inspiron with a GF4 go and a p4 mobile processor with 512 ram and a 40gig HD.

But if you must have compaq or sony. Go sony every day of the week.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out