MAC Broadcasting

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am trying to broadcast data at the MAC level in order to allow
clients that are not on the network to receive this data.
Essentially, I have server broadcasting data out and clients that have
no transmit ability (thus not allowing any sort of association or
negotiation), so I want to passively receive data.

It appears that in the spec this is possible, but when the spec talks
about broadcasting (Address1 set to 1's), this seems to be
broadcasting to active nodes in the network.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this passive receiving work?

Thanks,
Brad

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Since we have no details about how your clients receive and process data,
I'll assume that the clients are like ordinary adapters running AirSnort or
some other sniffer software. That is, I assume they run in promiscuous mode
and can monitor all 802.11 frames.

Then it's easy. Set up a subnet with any IP address you like. Transmit all
frames to the subnet IP broadcast address. For example, assume the subnet is
192.168.100.0, netmask 0xffffff00. Then transmit all frames to
192.168.100.255. Since the subnet is the local WLAN, these frames should be
broadcast at the MAC level.

"Brad" <order@johnsmeyer.org> wrote in message
> I am trying to broadcast data at the MAC level in order to allow
> clients that are not on the network to receive this data.
> Essentially, I have server broadcasting data out and clients that have
> no transmit ability (thus not allowing any sort of association or
> negotiation), so I want to passively receive data.
>
> It appears that in the spec this is possible, but when the spec talks
> about broadcasting (Address1 set to 1's), this seems to be
> broadcasting to active nodes in the network.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this passive receiving work?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Gary/All,

This is where I'll be showing my ignorance, but you gotta start
somewhere.

The card I use is based on the Prism II chip and I'm able to do the
MAC broadcasting by interfacing with NDIS (Yes, windows) . The
problem comes on the receive side. It appears that perhaps the
receive card is filtering out these MAC broadcasts, which sent me to
the spec to find this info about broadcasting to "Active" nodes.

How do I go about forcing the client into promiscuous mode in windows.
Actually, if you can point me toward any linux documentation, that
would be huge too. Sure appreciate the help.

-Brad

"gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<d3nzc.6250$Fw6.4239@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...
> Since we have no details about how your clients receive and process data,
> I'll assume that the clients are like ordinary adapters running AirSnort or
> some other sniffer software. That is, I assume they run in promiscuous mode
> and can monitor all 802.11 frames.
>
> Then it's easy. Set up a subnet with any IP address you like. Transmit all
> frames to the subnet IP broadcast address. For example, assume the subnet is
> 192.168.100.0, netmask 0xffffff00. Then transmit all frames to
> 192.168.100.255. Since the subnet is the local WLAN, these frames should be
> broadcast at the MAC level.
>
> "Brad" <order@johnsmeyer.org> wrote in message
> > I am trying to broadcast data at the MAC level in order to allow
> > clients that are not on the network to receive this data.
> > Essentially, I have server broadcasting data out and clients that have
> > no transmit ability (thus not allowing any sort of association or
> > negotiation), so I want to passively receive data.
> >
> > It appears that in the spec this is possible, but when the spec talks
> > about broadcasting (Address1 set to 1's), this seems to be
> > broadcasting to active nodes in the network.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this passive receiving work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brad

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It sounds to me like you wrote your own NDIS driver for the receiving
stations. That's a problem. As I understand it, none of the wifi cards
export a standard NDIS interface to control promiscuous mode. Ethernet
adapters do, but it will not work with wifi.

Linux drivers that offer complete control are available for certain
chipsets. I believe the Prism 2 chipset is supported by the Linux Intersil
driver - it's one of the most common old-line chipsets. There may even be
portings to a Windows environment. If not, if you are Windows-savvy and have
the appropriate development tools, you should be able to do the port. I
assume you could create a hardware driver to sit under the NDIS driver and
pass promiscuous mode through.

Here's a useful starting point for Linux:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

> Gary/All,
>
> This is where I'll be showing my ignorance, but you gotta start
> somewhere.
>
> The card I use is based on the Prism II chip and I'm able to do the
> MAC broadcasting by interfacing with NDIS (Yes, windows) . The
> problem comes on the receive side. It appears that perhaps the
> receive card is filtering out these MAC broadcasts, which sent me to
> the spec to find this info about broadcasting to "Active" nodes.
>
> How do I go about forcing the client into promiscuous mode in windows.
> Actually, if you can point me toward any linux documentation, that
> would be huge too. Sure appreciate the help.
>
> -Brad
>

> "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Since we have no details about how your clients receive and process
data,
> > I'll assume that the clients are like ordinary adapters running AirSnort
or
> > some other sniffer software. That is, I assume they run in promiscuous
mode
> > and can monitor all 802.11 frames.
> >
> > Then it's easy. Set up a subnet with any IP address you like. Transmit
all
> > frames to the subnet IP broadcast address. For example, assume the
subnet is
> > 192.168.100.0, netmask 0xffffff00. Then transmit all frames to
> > 192.168.100.255. Since the subnet is the local WLAN, these frames should
be
> > broadcast at the MAC level.
> >
> > "Brad" <order@johnsmeyer.org> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to broadcast data at the MAC level in order to allow
> > > clients that are not on the network to receive this data.
> > > Essentially, I have server broadcasting data out and clients that have
> > > no transmit ability (thus not allowing any sort of association or
> > > negotiation), so I want to passively receive data.
> > >
> > > It appears that in the spec this is possible, but when the spec talks
> > > about broadcasting (Address1 set to 1's), this seems to be
> > > broadcasting to active nodes in the network.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this passive receiving work?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brad

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Gary. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Brad