Distinguished
May 18, 2002
I just completed my first self-built machine. Here are the specs :

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP mobo
Athlon 2100+
1 GB RAM (2x512 Corsair PC2700 C2)
PNY Verto GF4 TI 4600
2 WD 100GB (Special Edit.)
Lite On CDRW and DVD drives (can't recall speeds)
Soundblaster Audigy
Windows XP

I am getting between 8000-8200 scores under 3dMark2001 SE. Was wondering if this sounds about right and if there are any tweaks anyone can suggest. Installed everything straight from the box with no changes, but have updated all the drivers. One thing I noticed is playing Jedi Knight 2, if I turn on the EAX for the audigy (latest Jedi patch includes this feature), the display becomes jumpy. When I turn it off, it smooths out to normal (not sure if this is part of the VIA / Audigy issues).

Thanks

Opeth2112

Attention all planets of the Solar Federation...we have assumed control.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Your scores are way too low - my setup isn't as good (and expensive :wink: ) as yours and I'm getting scores around 8500+ (XP 1800@16xx Mhz; Radeon 8500; 512 MB CAS2 PC2100 @141Mhz).
Try to reinstall your video drivers and DX8.1 (once had similar situation solved by DX reinstall). Did you install VIA 4in1?
Also check for IRQ conflicts (not very likely, but...)

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Audigy / EAX is a resource hog, JK2 is a resource hog.

You should be scoring around 11000-12000 with that setup running in stock mode.

Things to make sure of:
28.32 Detonator Drivers off nvdia's site
latest 4in1 drivers from via
agp aperature to 128MB
agp speed set to 4x
All options set to default in 3dmark2001SE (DO NOT USE AA!)
All options in advanced graphics settings set to default cept for refresh rate set to 85 or 100HZ and set AA to always OFF.
If you have an active internet or network connection, disable it (in hardware, disable the nic) for the duration of the test and set vsync to always off.

This should give you the best score possible on your machine and the correct one for comparing your machine's performance with everyone else.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/22/02 04:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

opeth2112

Distinguished
May 18, 2002
I have tried all suggestions to no avail. All settings look correct, although I cannot reinstall Direct X as it is included in XP and I cannot find an XP download of it anywhere. I noticed at one point in time, I started 3dMark2001 SE (i always just use the default settings), and in the beginning of the first benchmark I was receiving FPS readings of 200+. The benchmark locked up and I had to restart my machine. Ever since then, I occaisionally get above 150 but it is rare. Almost seems like everything was jiving and then something shut me down (I have plenty of cooling going on in the box so I don't think it is a heat issue). I had to RMA one of the hard drives so as soon as I get that back I am going to start over from scratch on the OS and see what happens. If you have any other thoughts, please keep them coming and thanks for the replies.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Holy Crap! Man that's an awesome system! You should easily bust the 10000 point mark in 3DMark2001. Something's definitely not right.

Since you mention problems with the Audigy, maybe you should try taking it out and running the test. Although I doubt this is the problem since the default benchmark doesn't use sound. I assume you've checked your BIOS settings right? Particularly your memory timings (aggressive settings 2-2-2 and bus speeds).

Oh yeah and what about the BIOS version. Do you have the latest release:

<A HREF="http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support/viakt333.htm#link7vrxp" target="_new">http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support/viakt333.htm#link7vrxp</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 05/23/02 02:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

opeth2112

Distinguished
May 18, 2002
I changed the rates for my memory (333Mhz and CAS2) on the motherboard, and rechecked all of my settings. I am stumped. Is there a possibility that the video card may have overheated and is not performing 100% now? I had the card in another machine without very good cooling and it locked up a few times but otherwise worked fine. If I have time tonight I am going to reload the machine from scratch and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again for all the help.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Didn't the software bundle come with temp monitoring software? I think its wise to start over and methodically troubleshoot the system. Don't put in any of those extra PCI cards at first.

Also, if you still have problems and suspect a heat issue, then try leaving the case off and blowing extra air over the graphics card if possible.

If it came with temp monitoring software and its already installed, then check to see if you have dynamic grahic cooling enabled. Mine came with SmartDoctor, and will throttle the GPU down if it gets too hot.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 05/23/02 02:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Actually...thats definitely possible...some parts may have been unknowingly damamged if it got hot enough. Having locked a few times in that case without good cooling, i would definitely consider this a possibility. For your sake, i hope its not the case. Hopefully a clean install on a new HD will show better results...

I'm out of idea's on this one without looking at it myself there's just only so much i can think of to try. My system is very different being a P4 machine.

Another lesson in why its good to buy parts from compusa with instant replacement warranties....

Best of luck to ya man, but i can't think of anything at this point.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/23/02 03:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>