Newbie and a bunch of questions

I recently have gotten a notebook computer with wi-fi capabilities. I'm a
photographer and the ability to move images from remote locations is very
much an advantage.

The easiest way to send images is through email. My wi-fi location of
choice are the cyber cafe's. Obviously I can use Hotmail as my email
conduit but the size of the files are restricted unless I pay extra. What
I'd like to do is to use my OWN non Hotmail email account. I have both a
cable enabled email address and my own email address that came with my web
site.

So is there any way to access - both incoming and sending - my email from a
third party location like a cyber cafe?

DS

"David Grandy" <dgrandy@accesscable.net> wrote in

> I recently have gotten a notebook computer with wi-fi capabilities.
> I'm a photographer and the ability to move images from remote
> locations is very much an advantage.
>
> The easiest way to send images is through email. My wi-fi location of
> choice are the cyber cafe's. Obviously I can use Hotmail as my email
> conduit but the size of the files are restricted unless I pay extra.
> What I'd like to do is to use my OWN non Hotmail email account. I have
> both a cable enabled email address and my own email address that came
> with my web site.
>
> So is there any way to access - both incoming and sending - my email
> from a third party location like a cyber cafe?

Yes, as one of the other replies said, but there is one caveat. Most ISP's
now require you to be in 'their' network to use the SMTP server, meaning
the IP you connect from would have to be owned by them. A few will allow
you to use it from an outside IP if authentication is used.

It can't hurt to just try it next time you're out somewhere. You can check
mail from almost anywhere thru the ISP's POP server. Try to send something
and you may get a 'not allowed to relay' error. If so, set up your client
for authentication on send using the same p/w and username as the POP.
Chances are it will still not work, but it may.

DS

"David Grandy" <dgrandy@accesscable.net> wrote in

> I recently have gotten a notebook computer with wi-fi capabilities.
> I'm a photographer and the ability to move images from remote
> locations is very much an advantage.
>
> The easiest way to send images is through email. My wi-fi location of
> choice are the cyber cafe's. Obviously I can use Hotmail as my email
> conduit but the size of the files are restricted unless I pay extra.
> What I'd like to do is to use my OWN non Hotmail email account. I have
> both a cable enabled email address and my own email address that came
> with my web site.
>
> So is there any way to access - both incoming and sending - my email
> from a third party location like a cyber cafe?

I haven't tried it in a long time, but it might do it for you:
https://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/login.asp?lid=0&il=1

--
Tom McCune

>I recently have gotten a notebook computer with wi-fi capabilities. I'm a
>photographer and the ability to move images from remote locations is very
>much an advantage.
>
>The easiest way to send images is through email. My wi-fi location of
>choice are the cyber cafe's. Obviously I can use Hotmail as my email
>conduit but the size of the files are restricted unless I pay extra. What
>I'd like to do is to use my OWN non Hotmail email account. I have both a
>cable enabled email address and my own email address that came with my web
>site.
>
>So is there any way to access - both incoming and sending - my email from a
>third party location like a cyber cafe?

The cyber cafe gives your notebook wireless internet. That is the same
as wired internet so you use your notebook at the cafe to use your
email the same as when your at home.
These other emails often have the same restrictions as hotmail,
though. Small file transfer limits like under 1MB and storage 10MB or
under.

Charlie

Many cable email accounts also let you access your account through a web
browser. If so all you have to do is access the url and logon as usual.
"David Grandy" <dgrandy@accesscable.net> wrote in message
> I recently have gotten a notebook computer with wi-fi capabilities. I'm a
> photographer and the ability to move images from remote locations is very
> much an advantage.
>
> The easiest way to send images is through email. My wi-fi location of
> choice are the cyber cafe's. Obviously I can use Hotmail as my email
> conduit but the size of the files are restricted unless I pay extra. What
> I'd like to do is to use my OWN non Hotmail email account. I have both a
> cable enabled email address and my own email address that came with my web
> site.
>
> So is there any way to access - both incoming and sending - my email from
> third party location like a cyber cafe?

It's a little more complicated than Andrew says. From home you configure
your mail client to use your Access Provider's SMTP server, not your Email
Provider's server. From the cyber cafe you can't use your home Access
Provider's SMTP server, because you're not on their network. You could use
the cyber cafe's Access Provider's SMTP server, but that could be different
for every cyber cafe, so reconfiguring your email client could get tedious.

Since you own your own domain and your Web Hosting company provides you with
email, you might be able to use their SMTP server. Some Web Hosting
companies support this and some don't. Since you're not using the Web
Hosting company's network for Internet Access, they would authenticate you
with a password before permitting you to access their SMTP server.

Some time ago another poster recommended running your own Mail Transfer
Agent on your laptop. Then you can connect directly to the recipient's SMTP
server and deliver your mail. This way, you only need Internet access, not
email service.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.