What is the Largest Folder size Window XP will all

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I have about 250,000 web pages that I have saved on my hard disk in approximately 500 Folders totaling about 8 GB of disk space. I would like to put all those web pages in one huge folder. Can I do that? How big a folder and how many files in a single folder can Win XP handle?

(1) Can I also put all those files say in a single partition of 10 GB directly with only one root folder?

(2) Are there any advantages or disadvantages in doing so?

(3) Also what is largest size of word file can I have?

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have 320GB in only a few folders. My movies folder is about 75GB and it sometimes has issues where explorer.exe will use up all the CPU resources and I'll have to kill it. Closing the folder isn't a fix, I litterely have to restart explorer.exe. My MP3 folder is huge and has more files but doesn't seem to have the same issue. Haven't quite solved that problem.

I didn't answer all your questions directly but I think you'll be fine. 8GB is a drop in the bucket. 8GB is one file to some people.

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I guess toal GB might not be a problem but in that one folder I have small web page files totalling in number over 250,000.

So when I open that folder and want to open a file and try to scroll to go to that file, the page would not scroll untill all the files on that one page does not display an IE icon.

Is this the same kind of problem are you talking about?

dhlucke

Polypheme
No not really. You have a lot more files than me. I have no where near that many files.

Ask toejam. He knows everything.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is really not about the operating system, per say, with the exception being the differences in how WinXP, Win2K and WinNT handle long and short file names in comparison to previous operating systems, but about the file system used after the partitions are created.

(1) Can I also put all those files say in a single partition of 10 GB directly with only one root folder?
FAT32 Size Limitations:

Maximum file size - 4 GB.
Files per volume - 4,177,920.
Maximum number of files and subfolders within a single folder - 65,534.

(Note: The use of long file names can significantly reduce the number of available files and subfolders within a folder.)

To prevent a FAT file system from creating long file names, set the value of the Win31FileSystem registry entry (in the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem) to 1. This value prevents WinXP from creating new long file names on all FAT volumes. However, existing long file names remain intact but are not displayed in My Computer, Windows Explorer, or at the command prompt.

NTFS Size Limits

Maximum File Size: Theory: 16 exabytes minus 1KB
Implementation: 16 terabytes minus 64KB

Files per volume - 4,294,967,295

If you have a large number of files (300,000 or more) in a folder, and the files have long file names with the same initial characters, the time required to create the files increases. The increase occurs because NTFS bases the short file name on the first six characters of the long file name. In folders with more than 300,000 files, the short file names start to conflict after NTFS uses all of the 8.3 names that are similar to the long file names. Repeated conflicts between a generated short file name and existing short file names cause NTFS to regenerate the short file name from 6 to 8 times.

To reduce the time required to create files, you can use the fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 command to disable the creation of 8.3 short file names.

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkc_fil_gtzp.asp" target="_new">MS–DOS-Readable File Names on NTFS Volumes</A>

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkc_fil_rbrx.asp" target="_new">File Names in Windows XP Professional</A>

(2) Are there any advantages or disadvantages in doing so?
Advantage: 499 less folders.
Disadvantage: It'll probably take slightly longer to open the single folder than one of those much smaller folders you currently have on the drive. But not significantly, IMHO. I have a movie folder with 167 files that total 20.8GB.

The speed has more to do with the number of files than the total size of the data in the folder. Under FAT32, it takes longer to read many small files than several large files, due to the cluster sizes and slack space. NTFS has less problems in this area, again, due to the smaller default cluster sizes, which allows it to be more efficient.

(3) Also what is largest size of word file can I have?
This one is harder to answer. All the above file sizes should still apply ... however, how large the file can be before Word craps out and refuses to read the file because of a size limitation or bug -- I have no idea. I've never seen a really enormous .doc file, or tried to discover what the limitation might be. Guess you'll have to experiment and discover this one on your own.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Since the total number of files in single folder is limited to 65,534, can I put all 250,000 files directly in a partition ( I guess it is also called Volume?) since the volume will accomodate over 4 million files?
Most of my file names are really long ( 64 to 210 Characters ).
Is this a workable solution? I have a P4 2.6 GHz with 512 MB DDR PC 3200 RAM if that would help.
Thank You
Greg

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I ran into this problem a while back. The problem I was told, is you can only have so many files in the root directory - c:\ , d:\ , etc.. After I created a folder under the root directory - c:\files - and moved all my files to that folder I had no problem.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
But wouldn't that again put a limit on the number of files you can put in a single Folder?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gregg on 01/07/04 10:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's an NTFS issue, if you place all of the files directly in the root folder ... it doesn't apply to subdirectories.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>