Latitude C400 Loose Hinges - Easily Fixable?

Hi, I have a coworker's latitude c400 here for formatting &
reinstalling. I've noticed that the hinges are quite loose, the screen
being able to swing 10cm.

I have an Airis laptop (spanish brand) and the same thing happened, and
I was able to fix the problem easily by screwing the hinges tighter.

Does anybody know how easy it is to fix the hinge problem? Is it just a
case of opening up the case and screwing the hinges tighter? I've
looked at dell's service manual for the c400 and it looks easy enough
to open up the case, I just don't want to go to that trouble if in the
end it has to be serviced by dell for it to be fixed.
2 answers Last reply
More about latitude c400 loose hinges easily fixable

    "maian" <maian69@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a coworker's latitude c400 here for formatting &
    > reinstalling. I've noticed that the hinges are quite loose, the screen
    > being able to swing 10cm.
    >
    > I have an Airis laptop (spanish brand) and the same thing happened, and
    > I was able to fix the problem easily by screwing the hinges tighter.
    >
    > Does anybody know how easy it is to fix the hinge problem? Is it just a
    > case of opening up the case and screwing the hinges tighter? I've
    > looked at dell's service manual for the c400 and it looks easy enough
    > to open up the case, I just don't want to go to that trouble if in the
    > end it has to be serviced by dell for it to be fixed.

    It is probably either worn or loose hinges. If the machine has remaining
    onsite warranty, let Dell do it. That way if some plastics or anything else
    were to be broken by the onsite tech, Dell would replace them as well.

    Also, the tech will likely come onsite with replacement hinges, something
    you'd have to order and wait for *after* you did all of that work yourself.

    Stew

    This machine is like 4 - 5 years old - no warranty. In the end I've
    decided not to bother, its not worth it, because the guy just has the
    laptop in a docking bay with a tft connected to it, so he doesn't even
    use it.

    Thanks

Dell Latitude Cases Computers