Closed

MyWay Search Assistant - How to remove?

I just bought a new Dimension 3000 for my kids and was unhappy to see that
it comes with the MyWay Search Assistant pre-installed without a method to
uninstall it.

MyWay Search Assistant is known spyware:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/april-2003/24.php#myway

Has anybody had success removing it?
12 answers Last reply
More about myway search assistant remove

    You may be sure that Dell did not pre-install the MyWay spyware on your
    computer.

    As with all major (and not so major) outbreaks of spyware, the web is filled
    with information to help you:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=MyWay+Search+Assistant+removal.

    Now is the time to clean your system of all spyware and install a spyware
    detector/remover. Spyware is particularly difficult to remove, and no
    program can detect or remove them all. You may need to try several.

    Start learning about spyware, and how it gets on your computer, at Spyware
    Info:
    http://spywareinfo.com/

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Tax Man" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new Dimension 3000 for my kids and was unhappy to see that
    > it comes with the MyWay Search Assistant pre-installed without a method to
    > uninstall it.
    >
    > MyWay Search Assistant is known spyware:
    >
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/april-2003/24.php#myway
    >
    > Has anybody had success removing it?

    "Tax Man" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >I just bought a new Dimension 3000 for my kids and was unhappy to see that
    > it comes with the MyWay Search Assistant pre-installed without a method to
    > uninstall it.
    >
    > MyWay Search Assistant is known spyware:
    >
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/april-2003/24.php#myway
    >
    > Has anybody had success removing it?

    If I'm not mistaken, the parasite is visible in start/control
    panel/add-remove programs. Either get rid of it that way, or use a
    reputable spyware/adware scanner to locate and remove it ( AdAware, SpyBot,
    or MS anti-spyware.....)

    Stew

    Oh, you can be sure they did.

    http://dell.myway.com/welcome/index.html

    "Tweek" <shawnwingetNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Oh, you can be sure they did.
    >
    > http://dell.myway.com/welcome/index.html

    Yeah. It's actually the default homepage in IE on the original factory
    image, I believe.

    Stew

    And that is affiliated with the legitimate MyWay. One of my secondary email
    accounts is with them. A great service, free, and no spyware.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > And that is affiliated with the legitimate MyWay. One of my secondary
    > email
    > accounts is with them. A great service, free, and no spyware.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    http://www.theregister.com/2005/07/15/dell_my_way_controversy/

    Ted, my deal was that it's more bloatware than spyware. If others use it and
    like it, then cool beans.

    Stew

    "Cool beans"? There is no end to what I learn from your posts. {;->

    --

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:35:13 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >>I just bought a new Dimension 3000 for my kids and was unhappy to see that
    >> it comes with the MyWay Search Assistant pre-installed without a method to
    >> uninstall it.
    >>
    >> MyWay Search Assistant is known spyware:
    >>
    >> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/april-2003/24.php#myway
    >>
    >> Has anybody had success removing it?
    >

    >If I'm not mistaken, the parasite is visible in start/control
    >panel/add-remove programs. Either get rid of it that way, or use a
    >reputable spyware/adware scanner to locate and remove it ( AdAware, SpyBot,
    >or MS anti-spyware.....)

    I tried that. But after "removing" it in control panel, it comes back like
    a bad penny.

    None of the three products you mention seem to detect it. Very nasty
    stuff.

    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:35:13 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>I just bought a new Dimension 3000 for my kids and was unhappy to see
    >>>that
    >>> it comes with the MyWay Search Assistant pre-installed without a method
    >>> uninstall it.
    >>>
    >>> MyWay Search Assistant is known spyware:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/april-2003/24.php#myway
    >>>
    >>> Has anybody had success removing it?
    >>

    >>If I'm not mistaken, the parasite is visible in start/control
    >>panel/add-remove programs. Either get rid of it that way, or use a
    >>reputable spyware/adware scanner to locate and remove it ( AdAware,
    >>SpyBot,
    >>or MS anti-spyware.....)
    >>

    > I tried that. But after "removing" it in control panel, it comes back
    > like
    > a bad penny.
    >
    > None of the three products you mention seem to detect it. Very nasty
    > stuff.

    Hmm. Then I'd personally locate it in the registry and destroy it.
    Carefully.

    Stew

    In article <hyWEe.25721$dz.874@bignews4.bellsouth.net>, stew1960
    @mail.com says...

    > "Tax Man" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > >>If I'm not mistaken, the parasite is visible in start/control
    > >>panel/add-remove programs. Either get rid of it that way, or use a
    > >>reputable spyware/adware scanner to locate and remove it ( AdAware,
    > >>SpyBot,
    > >>or MS anti-spyware.....)
    > >>

    > > I tried that. But after "removing" it in control panel, it comes back
    > > like
    > > a bad penny.
    > >
    > > None of the three products you mention seem to detect it. Very nasty
    > > stuff.
    >

    > Hmm. Then I'd personally locate it in the registry and destroy it.
    > Carefully.
    >
    > Stew

    Maybe these might offer some help:

    http://www.free-web-browsers.com/support/remove-mysearch.shtml
    http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml
    --

    Cheers!

    Jan
  11. I had the same problem few month ago.
    Try to download .dll library file Link removed by Moderator. And add it into the right directory follows the instructions. This is the easiest and the safeties way without installing any additional tools and software. Good luck.
  12. Andrew_62 said:
    I had the same problem few month ago.

    A few months? This thread is ten YEARS old. Please only post into threads where the latest post was, say, within two months back.

    Since your link goes to a risky page with a pay-for removal tool, I've classed it as Commercial Spam and deleted the link. I'm also giving you a three day ban for posting it. Any subseqeunt ban will be permanent and will include your IP address, albeit a German Proxy address.

Dell Dimension Computers