ATI chosen to power DOOM III for E3 2002

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Nuff said people and flame this you nvidiots the info is widely avaliable on the net so it ain't fake.Now for some qoutes.

"ATI's next generation hardware has an ideal feature set for the DOOM III™ engine, and at the moment is the fastest platform to run the game on," said John Carmack, Chief Technical Officer & co-founder of Id Software, Inc.

JOHN CARMACK SAID THIS SHOCKER.

ATI's chip was chosen because it offers the most advanced, high-performance graphics architecture to power the demonstration at E3 2002. DOOM III™, scheduled for release in 2003, has been highly anticipated both as an unbelievable game and as a true measure of today - and tomorrow's - graphics architectures. Also highly anticipated, ATI's next generation product, scheduled for release this fall, will cement ATI firmly as a leader in the ultra-high-end 3D and gaming graphics market.

and for the future

"We want users to be blown away by their gaming experience," said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President, Marketing and General Manager, Desktop, ATI Technologies Inc. "Our next-generation product will move gamers a quantum leap forward in realistic and immersive gaming. Gamer's won't just play DOOM III™ with ATI's next generation hardware - they'll live it."

I dare you to flame this.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ignore what I put up here before and just read <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">this</A>.

/me goes to slap myself for being an idiot the first time around.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 05/24/02 03:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
if you want a real laugh, Doom III was first showcased on a MAC with a GeForce 3. So ATI's just a lil late, the Mac's beat them to it =)

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
I fail to see your point carmack just said that of the graphic cards the next gen ati card (hint r300) is the fastest platfrom to run doom 3, yes carmack has the oppurtinunity to test drive the nv30 and the parhelia he can't say directly because he is under NDA.

eden

Champion
I was about to post this.
It's a good step forward for ATI indeed. I congratulate them. Unlike you trolling calling us Nvidia fans idiots, I a fan of nVidia admits ATI is doing pretty well. (my first card was an ATI)
If NV30 can run the game smoothly at ALL INTENSE moments, it'll be my card next year. If Nvidia comes with a similar performing or better one, so be it. If Matrox does a rebound on the Parhelia and improves it even more, let it be.

Strange how with all the technological advancements Doom III has, its proper optimizations have made it so it will run still very well on GF3 and upwards. John indeed, is an awesome guy, and I thank him for pushing the world forward, the technology advances thanks to determined people like him.

--
I can't beleive Dungeon Siege has a pitchfork weapon called "Hoe"! :lol:

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
hahahaha I was hoping for this reaction played right into my hands I don't like to troll but knew somebody would be pissed guess you cracked first. In other it was a game and you fell for it , I am however surprised at the late nature of the response. However 90% of my post was informative also.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, that is a shocker considering Carmack said this to GameSpy.com on May 23, 2002.

"<i>In order from best to worst for Doom:

I still think that overall, the GeForce 4 Ti is the best card you can buy. It has high speed and excellent driver quality.

Based on the feature set, the Radeon 8500 should be a faster card for Doom than the GF4, because it can do the seven texture accesses that I need in a single pass, while it takes two or three passes (depending on details) on the GF4. However, in practice, the GF4 consistently runs faster due to a highly efficient implementation. For programmers, the 8500 has a much nicer fragment path than the GF4, with more general features and increased precision, but the driver quality is still quite a ways from Nvidia's, <b>so I would be a little hesitant to use it as a primary research platform</b>.

The GF4-MX is a very fast card for existing games, but it is less well suited to Doom, due to the lower texture unit count and the lack of vertex shaders.

On a slow CPU with all features enabled, the GF3 will be faster than the GF4-MX, because it offloads some work. On systems with CPU power to burn, the GF4 may still be faster.

The 128 bit DDR GF2 systems will be faster than the Radeon-7500 systems, again due to low level implementation details overshadowing the extra texture unit.

The slowest cards will be the 64 bit and SDR ram GF and Radeon cards, which will really not be fast enough to play the game properly unless you run at 320x240 or so.</i>"

See full article below.

<A HREF="http://gamespy.com/e32002/pc/carmack/" target="_new">http://gamespy.com/e32002/pc/carmack/</A>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Hello we are not talking about the radeon 8500 READ CAREFULLY YOU BLIND FELLOW WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE R300.
SEE -------------"ATI's NEXT GENERATION HARDWARE has an ideal feature set for the DOOM III™ engine, and at the moment is the FASTEST platform to run the game on," said John Carmack, Chief Technical Officer & co-founder of Id Software, Inc.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nexus_alpha on 05/25/02 08:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Interesting that it looks like ATI will have the next major advancement vice the GF3 make over to the GF4. ATI seems to be progressing faster then Nvidia in Video Card developement. WEll I will be updating virtually everything on my system and looking very forward to how the R300 stacks up. Very impressive visuals from DoomIII, about time. In the meantime I hope to play UT2003 shortly while I salivate over the thoughts of playing DoomIII. My very overclockable GF3 Ti200 has been a good card, just boring from the get go.

eden

Champion
Doom III is just too exciting, with the way lighting works, the way everything is made spooky. I mean the way they describe a small sequence with the hero hiding away from monsters, and how suddenly one jumps at him and takes his head off. Man am I gonna be freaked out... I think IMO the game will be like Q3, a mix of CPU intensive and video card intensive, but most likely VERY video card intensive, as it uses T&L and shaders at the very best possible. Seen the video? Man the way the lights move, the way the Imps have become, and the return of Lost Souls and MasterMinds is just awesome. One more guy is missing to freak me out, it's the Cyber-Demon! Or the Barons of Hell... oh yeah we're going to hell too!

--

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hello we are not talking about the radeon 8500 READ CAREFULLY YOU BLIND FELLOW WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE R300.
SEE -------------"ATI's NEXT GENERATION HARDWARE has an ideal feature set for the DOOM III™ engine, and at the moment is the FASTEST platform to run the game on," said John Carmack, Chief Technical Officer & co-founder of Id Software, Inc.
I really get frustrated over these people who spread around crap..... It says the GF4 beats the R8500. Ok, the GF4 is a level above R8500, but that's ATi's problem for not putting out a card to compete. You say we should compare R300 to GF4, when NV30 will be out? I think not. We'll compare apples to apples. Nvidia is able to counter almost every move ATi has to make, and ATi was unable to come close to the top-end GF4s. Even though they cost more, I'm sure a comparably performing ATi card would cost almost as much. I mean Ti4200 and R8500 are basically neck and neck, (with the Ti4200 coming out on top more times than not) and ATi's card is only a little bit cheaper. So stop making it seem as though ATi's cards are so much superior to Nvidia cards. I'll say that ATi cards are good (I personnally own one), but stop with the crap about "ATi is better than Nvidia, hahahalalalalalala blahblahblah i;ug;yiwyglylgyglf"

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

eden

Champion
Hmm where does the Ti4200 get beat by an R8500?
I find that odd, since per clock, the Ti4200 is even more efficient than GF3 Ti500's LMA, and since they are fairly similar in speed, the Ti4200 will likely not be beat by a Rad 8500.

--

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
hahahaha I was hoping for this reaction played right into my hands I don't like to troll but knew somebody would be pissed guess you cracked first. In other it was a game and you fell for it , I am however surprised at the late nature of the response. However 90% of my post was informative also.

Posting something in the hopes of getting that reaction is the deffintion of trolling.

Dont make me tell you to run along now ;-)

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

eden

Champion
You gotta hang out more often here Matty!
Not just to stop some delinquency, but I like it when some of the guys at the CPU forum jump in here, especially you and Fatty!

--

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
It says the GF4 beats the R8500. Ok, the GF4 is a level above R8500, but that's ATi's problem for not putting out a card to compete. You say we should compare R300 to GF4, when NV30 will be out? I think not. We'll compare apples to apples. Nvidia is able to counter almost every move ATi has to make, and ATi was unable to come close to the top-end GF4s.

As i remember, the 8500 came out with the GF3 Ti 500. So if your going to compair apples with apples, compair the cards when the chipset is released. It is unreasonable to compair the 2 cards this way. Kinda like compairing the P4's with the T-birds. Yes the T-birds held up, but they did get beaten. So please, compair technology by release, not by current technology

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Another blind fellow if you read my post carefully I am comparing the r300 to the nv30 and the parhelia. Blind schmuck I AM SURROUNDED BY BLIND BATS. John CARMACK HAS TEST DRIVEN BOTH THE NV30 and parhelia and the r300 but he can't say that specifically because he is under NDA. Why else would he say a card not yet released currently is the fastest platform for DOOM 3. Please next time read carefully EVERYTHINNNNNG before posting. SEEMS like we got alot of blind bats around the place truly sad.

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
I am not saying ati is better than nvidia just that the r300 is a really super card for doom 3 probably better than than NV30. The superiotiy of a card is NOT BASED ON PERFORMANCE IN JUST ONE GAME> STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
And what if he merely was able to compare it to let's say a parhelia? If he doesn't definitevly state he has compared it, one cannot regard it as fact that he has, as you are.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened he's all over the place :eek: