Dell's terrible service - final report

Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
customer service:

1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
on the way.

2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
I should expect.

So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
dissatisfied customers.

-Joel

BigJim

I don't get it, usually if dell authorizes a replacement it is delivered
with in a few days.

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message

> Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
> next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
> on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
> customer service:
>
> 1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
> on the way.
>
> 2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
> I should expect.
>
> So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
> become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
> dissatisfied customers.
>
> -Joel

tonys

Sounds like Dell is the new Packard Bell of computers....

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message

> Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
> next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
> on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
> customer service:
>
> 1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
> on the way.
>
> 2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
> I should expect.
>
> So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
> become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
> dissatisfied customers.
>
> -Joel

First, you claimed that your hard drive broke due to normal wear and
tear and Dell said it isn't covered by CompleteCareTM Accidental
Damage Service coverage. Then you changed your story that Dell isn't
honoring their agreement because they wouldn't reinstall your OS on
your hard drive. Now, you are saying that Dell "promised" you one 10
days ago. Just how is it they promised you another hard drive when it
isn't covered under CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage Service coverage?

You know, for some with a "Dr" in your name, you sure don't sound very
bright.

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
> next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
> on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
> customer service:
>
> 1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
> on the way.
>
> 2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
> I should expect.
>
> So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
> become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
> dissatisfied customers.
>
> -Joel

Again, I would ask if you have called Dell Customer Service and insisted on
speaking with a manager or supervisor about your issues? I refer you to my
email to you of several days ago.

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message

> Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
> next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
> on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
> customer service:
>
> 1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
> on the way.
>
> 2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
> I should expect.
>
> So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
> become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
> dissatisfied customers.
>
> -Joel

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message

> Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
> next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
> on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
> customer service:
>
> 1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
> on the way.
>
> 2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
> I should expect.
>
> So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
> become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
> dissatisfied customers.

And in all the time you've been having problems and complaining I've had two
laptop hard drives and a laptop power supply replaced under warranty and all
parts delivered the next morning.

How?
1) I NEVER buy from Dell Home
2) I NEVER call Dell support. I always use the email support request
3) I simply do not argue with the response I receive from Dell no mater how
stupid it is. If they suggest tests I either do them or already know the
results. In some cases I just make up the results.

This has worked for me for years. So long that I really think that the user
brings upon themselves much of the support issues we hear about . How? I
have no idea but I'm sure attitude and patients comes into play somewhere
along the line.

HTH

--

Rob

"tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote in message
> Sounds like Dell is the new Packard Bell of computers....

Nah. It's just that they're appearing to be more inconsistent. If you read
the archives for this group, you'll see where plenty of folks (myself
included) have had really good results using the next business day onsite
warranties. No problems whatsoever with that aspect of support.

-But- I had some lousy luck when using the spare parts dept. a month or two
ago, and like the original post in this thread, you'll see people who've had
equally bad results from onsite.

So while the service is not universally bad, an unscientific look at this
newsgroup and some others suggest that it is perhaps stagnant or losing
ground....

jmo.

Stew

No company could possibly be as incredibly horrible at both quality of
product and customer service as Packard Bell. They were run out of the US
for selling new computers with used parts.

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
>> next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
>> on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
>> customer service:
>>
>> 1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
>> on the way.
>>
>> 2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
>> I should expect.
>>
>> So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
>> become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
>> dissatisfied customers.
>>

> And in all the time you've been having problems and complaining I've had
> two laptop hard drives and a laptop power supply replaced under warranty
> and all parts delivered the next morning.
>
> How?
> 1) I NEVER buy from Dell Home
> 2) I NEVER call Dell support. I always use the email support request
> 3) I simply do not argue with the response I receive from Dell no mater
> how stupid it is. If they suggest tests I either do them or already know
> the results. In some cases I just make up the results.
>
> This has worked for me for years. So long that I really think that the
> user brings upon themselves much of the support issues we hear about .
> How? I have no idea but I'm sure attitude and patients comes into play
> somewhere along the line.
>
> HTH
>
> --
>
> Rob

And the choir says "amen" to brother Rob.

This repeated posting of a simple transaction gone so terribly wrong
indicated to me that there's more here than meets the eye.

Stew

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) I NEVER buy from Dell Home
> 2) I NEVER call Dell support.

This should be of great solace to the tens of thousands of Dell Customers
who believe they can do one or both. >g<

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Ten days after the HD on my Dell laptop broke (the one that has
>> next-day on-site service and CompleteCare), and after perhaps 7 hours
>> on the phone with Dell and dozens of follow-up emails with Dell's
>> customer service:
>>
>> 1. I still don't have a replacement HD, but Dell promises me one is
>> on the way.
>>
>> 2. Dell reports that the service I received was in keeping with what
>> I should expect.
>>
>> So there you have it. After a dozen years of devotion to Dell, I've
>> become another in what seems like a rapidly growing list of
>> dissatisfied customers.
>>

> And in all the time you've been having problems and complaining I've had
> two laptop hard drives and a laptop power supply replaced under warranty
> and all parts delivered the next morning.
>
> How?
> 1) I NEVER buy from Dell Home
> 2) I NEVER call Dell support. I always use the email support request
> 3) I simply do not argue with the response I receive from Dell no mater
> how stupid it is. If they suggest tests I either do them or already know
> the results. In some cases I just make up the results.
>
> This has worked for me for years. So long that I really think that the
> user brings upon themselves much of the support issues we hear about .
> How? I have no idea but I'm sure attitude and patients comes into play
> somewhere along the line.
>
> HTH
>
> --
>
> Rob

>Nah. It's just that they're appearing to be more inconsistent. If you read
>the archives for this group, you'll see where plenty of folks (myself
>included) have had really good results using the next business day onsite
>warranties. No problems whatsoever with that aspect of support.

Have you had good experience lately? I had only good experiences for
a dozen years, and now this.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

> >Nah. It's just that they're appearing to be more inconsistent. If you
> >read
>>the archives for this group, you'll see where plenty of folks (myself
>>included) have had really good results using the next business day onsite
>>warranties. No problems whatsoever with that aspect of support.
>
> Have you had good experience lately? I had only good experiences for
> a dozen years, and now this.
>
> -Joel

Joel,

I placed a half dozen (used, but still under Dell warranty) Latitude
notebooks recently. (2) required either parts or onsite service for
relatively minor problems.

Both experiences - honestly - were very good. The phone tech who dispatched
the onsite even went so far as to ask me to look over all the plastics on
the system as well as the keyboard and track stick to be sure nothing else
needed replacement while the onsite tech was there.

Earlier (desktop) experiences with the overseas techs (hardware dispatch
only) went equally as well. All parts arrived the next day via DHL/Airborne.

The only stinker I had was with (overseas ) spare parts.

Stew

>Again, I would ask if you have called Dell Customer Service and insisted on
>speaking with a manager or supervisor about your issues? I refer you to my
>email to you of several days ago.

Yes. It was the supervisor who, last Thursday, authorized an imaged
replacement drive, which I still have not received.

-Joel

kelvinyany@gmail.com wrote:

> First, you claimed that your hard drive broke due to normal wear and
> tear and Dell said it isn't covered by CompleteCareTM Accidental
> Damage Service coverage. Then you changed your story that Dell isn't
> honoring their agreement because they wouldn't reinstall your OS on
> your hard drive. Now, you are saying that Dell "promised" you one 10
> days ago. Just how is it they promised you another hard drive when it
> isn't covered under CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage Service coverage?
>
> You know, for some with a "Dr" in your name, you sure don't sound very
> bright.

He's a "DM", i.e., Doctor of Mixology.

;)

MDK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005

While I've only had to deal with HP customer service once, at least
they did what they said they would. So far, not so with Dell.

Ordered two desktop systems via web (Small Business on Dell credit
account). Everything went fine. Until about 45 days later when I
agian ordered online, this time two laptops.

The day they were to ship I learned from the Dell Status page the order
had been canceled. After much time on the phone I learned DFS canceled
the order. Dell never bothered to tell me. OK stuff happens, move on.

I get the order back in and everything seems to be ok, except for
starting at square one. After a couple days I contacted Customer
Service to inquire why the systems don't seem to be moving along. I
sent email on a Friday, by Monday I had a reply was assured the order
would be expedited, they would credit me shipment cost and up shipment
to next day from 2 day, cool. 24 hours later I learned, again from the
status page, that the order had been canceled.
This time because 30GB hard drives were backordered, cause of first
delay, then canceled because Dell decided to go to 40GB drives, so back
to square one. Again no contact from Dell.

As of this writing, Friday I'm in the very same spot I was last Friday,
its a 50/50 chance that for some reason the order will be canceled by
the time I arrived to work on Monday or Tuesday, despite any and all
assurances from Dell customer service.

I responded to this post 'cause you mentioned HP. I know I can order
an equivalent HP laptop from CDW and have it on my desk next day.

So let me ask why buy from Dell?

Myself I'm quite glad this happened to us now rather then after
ordering a block of laptops and desktops. Which was pending behind
this last order.

Look I read these posting and all but bottom line is Dell does not have
control of its own business. With customer service saying were
expideingtin your orsder, assuring me this is very unusual for Dell

bill

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:37:22 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

[. . .]

>I suspect Dell just has to have better service than the competition. Bad as
>it is, it's better than HP, etc.
>
>Tom

Never dealt with HP, have with COMPAQ. Their standard answer seemed
to be reformat your hard drive and reload the Windows. I suspect you
are right, how good does Dell service have to be? Just good enough to
keep from driving off some many customers that it impacts sales.

In article <9ta5e11bpht0pkll4tqi19382daohkhgth@4ax.com>,
bgross@nospan.airmail.net says...
> Never dealt with HP, have with COMPAQ. Their standard answer seemed
> to be reformat your hard drive and reload the Windows.

You know, if you think about it, when the computer shipped from Dell or
any other vendor, it worked with the preinstalled OS and applications,
it was not until new software, applications, patches, hardware, viruses,
trojans, spyware, etc... were added that most people encounter problems.

If you take the time to consider it, if you were to only use what was
installed, how many actual problems would there be that require service?

I've been doing this for a LONG time and in almost every case it was the
fault of the PC User and not the vendors system as shipped.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> If you take the time to consider it, if you were to only use what was
> installed, how many actual problems would there be that require service?

That would make an extremely useful computer. >g<