Lost connection to gateway over bridge configured D-Link S..

I have 2x D-Link SP2100 configured as "bridges". My problem is that after a
couple a minutes the remote computer cannot access the Internet. I can
always ping both SP2100, but not the Gateway. However, if I let the remote
computer e.g. access an Internet Radio Station so it has a constant data
stream, the Internet connection stays on for hours. If you then disconnect
from the Internet Radio station, the remote computer lose its connection
again to the Internet (gateway) after a couple of minutes. After the lost
access, I have ping the both D-Ling SP2100 boxes and about after 2- 5
minutes unsuccessful tries, suddenly I have a connection again. I have
change the "Gateway" computer to an ADSL Router etc., but still the same
problem. Does, anybody having any suggestion where to look? - Ulf Berghman
2 answers Last reply
More about lost connection gateway bridge configured link

    It sounds like the DSL connection is terminating due to being idle. It
    should come back up more quickly than you're describing though.

    You can see the DSL traffic with a bit of work. Put an Ethernet hub (not a
    switch, and not a dual-speed hub) between the DSL modem and the router.
    Then plug into the hub another computer with Ethereal (or some other packet
    analyzer) installed. You should be able to see PPPoE packets logging into
    and out of DSL. Then you'll have more understanding of what's happening.
    If you post your results, we'll help you interpret them.

    For those wondering why not a dual speed hub: a dual speed hub is really
    two hubs (one at 10 Mbps and one at 100 Mbps) with a bridge. The connection
    to the broadband modem is usually 10 Mbps. The Ethereal computer will
    negotiate a 100 Mbps link with the dual speed hub, putting the bridge
    between the modem and the Ethereal computer. The bridge will not forward
    unicasts to the Ethereal computer unless they are addressed to that
    computer.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Ulf Berghman" <ulf.berghman@bita.org> wrote in message
    > I have 2x D-Link SP2100 configured as "bridges". My problem is that after
    > couple a minutes the remote computer cannot access the Internet. I can
    > always ping both SP2100, but not the Gateway. However, if I let the remote
    > computer e.g. access an Internet Radio Station so it has a constant data
    > stream, the Internet connection stays on for hours. If you then disconnect
    > from the Internet Radio station, the remote computer lose its connection
    > again to the Internet (gateway) after a couple of minutes. After the lost
    > access, I have ping the both D-Ling SP2100 boxes and about after 2- 5
    > minutes unsuccessful tries, suddenly I have a connection again. I have
    > change the "Gateway" computer to an ADSL Router etc., but still the same
    > problem. Does, anybody having any suggestion where to look? - Ulf Berghman

    Thank you the suggestion. Sorry about not responding before now. I had to go
    to Germany on very short notice and came back late last night.

    I will this week check with the "Ethereal program" and analyse the traffic.
    However, when "pinging" another computer (at the local network from the
    remote computer), they respond without hesitation. Only the "gateway
    computer" disappears from the network (for the remote computer). Also, if I
    ping the "remote computer" from the local network it also respond
    immediately. Local network computers have no problem accessing the Internet
    (gateway computer).

    - Ulf Berghman

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > It sounds like the DSL connection is terminating due to being idle. It
    > should come back up more quickly than you're describing though.
    >
    > You can see the DSL traffic with a bit of work. Put an Ethernet hub (not
    > switch, and not a dual-speed hub) between the DSL modem and the router.
    > Then plug into the hub another computer with Ethereal (or some other
    packet
    > analyzer) installed. You should be able to see PPPoE packets logging into
    > and out of DSL. Then you'll have more understanding of what's happening.
    > If you post your results, we'll help you interpret them.
    >
    > For those wondering why not a dual speed hub: a dual speed hub is really
    > two hubs (one at 10 Mbps and one at 100 Mbps) with a bridge. The
    connection
    > to the broadband modem is usually 10 Mbps. The Ethereal computer will
    > negotiate a 100 Mbps link with the dual speed hub, putting the bridge
    > between the modem and the Ethereal computer. The bridge will not forward
    > unicasts to the Ethereal computer unless they are addressed to that
    > computer.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Ulf Berghman" <ulf.berghman@bita.org> wrote in message
    > > I have 2x D-Link SP2100 configured as "bridges". My problem is that
    after
    > > couple a minutes the remote computer cannot access the Internet. I can
    > > always ping both SP2100, but not the Gateway. However, if I let the
    remote
    > > computer e.g. access an Internet Radio Station so it has a constant data
    > > stream, the Internet connection stays on for hours. If you then
    disconnect
    > > from the Internet Radio station, the remote computer lose its connection
    > > again to the Internet (gateway) after a couple of minutes. After the
    lost
    > > access, I have ping the both D-Ling SP2100 boxes and about after 2- 5
    > > minutes unsuccessful tries, suddenly I have a connection again. I have
    > > change the "Gateway" computer to an ADSL Router etc., but still the same
    > > problem. Does, anybody having any suggestion where to look? - Ulf
    Berghman

Computers Gateway Internet Wireless Networking