Solved

Windows 7 QUESTION!

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
July 27, 2010 7:11:24 AM

Hello there Im thinking about buying a disk for windows 7 and i was wondering, can u install windows 7 on multiple computers with the same disk??
If someone could let me know that would be very helpful.
Thanks....

More about : windows question

a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2010 7:30:13 AM

Not legally, no. A single retail version can only be used on one PC. For multiple PC's, I recommend you look at a TechNet subscription.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2010 8:55:51 AM

47190,3,682939 said:
open "network and sharing center" and then on the left side you have one link "change adapter settings", click on it. On this window you will see all the adapters. right click on the 'lan adapter(ethernet)' and click on 'Properties'.
===================

The 'Best Answer' possibilities are outstanding.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2010 9:44:37 AM

Looks like smarter spam to me.
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:00:06 PM

westham101 said:
Hello there Im thinking about buying a disk for windows 7 and i was wondering, can u install windows 7 on multiple computers with the same disk??
The disk itself is irrelevant, you can use the same disk, but you will need multiple licenses (which is the pricey thing). Moreover, if you get an OEM license, the license cannot be transferred to another PC, even if you uninstall it from the first one. If you want the license to be transferable, you need a (pricier) Retail version. If the PCs have previous versions of Windows on them, Microsoft was offering a 3-pack of upgrade license to Windows 7 Home Premium, but I don't know if they still do.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 28, 2010 10:26:59 PM

Hi westham101,

The short answer is no. All versions of Windows 7 come with one license meaning it can be installed on one computer only. The 3-pack that Zenthar referenced is called a Family Pack, but it sold out quickly when Windows 7 was first released and is no longer available.

Also like Zenthar said, if you think you may need to move Windows 7 from one computer to another computer, you will need to purchase a full retail version (but keep in mind that though this version can be moved, it cannot be installed on two computers at one time).

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
a b $ Windows 7
July 28, 2010 11:25:41 PM

Zenthar said:
The disk itself is irrelevant, you can use the same disk, but you will need multiple licenses (which is the pricey thing). Moreover, if you get an OEM license, the license cannot be transferred to another PC, even if you uninstall it from the first one. If you want the license to be transferable, you need a (pricier) Retail version. If the PCs have previous versions of Windows on them, Microsoft was offering a 3-pack of upgrade license to Windows 7 Home Premium, but I don't know if they still do.

True.

You also have the option to get the upgrade package which includes both 32 and 64 bit dvd's. The price is about the same as OEM, but it is considered a retail product and can be transferred to a different machine.
m
l
July 29, 2010 6:31:50 AM

Best answer selected by westham101.
m
l
July 29, 2010 6:32:42 AM

cassandraf_winteam said:
Hi westham101,

The short answer is no. All versions of Windows 7 come with one license meaning it can be installed on one computer only. The 3-pack that Zenthar referenced is called a Family Pack, but it sold out quickly when Windows 7 was first released and is no longer available.

Also like Zenthar said, if you think you may need to move Windows 7 from one computer to another computer, you will need to purchase a full retail version (but keep in mind that though this version can be moved, it cannot be installed on two computers at one time).

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

Yep it makes total sense,
Thanks
m
l
!