Dumbass GPU fan + socket 370 cooler :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
gotta leadtek geforce2pro. nice little number that keeps me happy with what games i play.

problem is the crappy little fan got bad bearings, and due to the way the fan+ hsf is arranged i cant even get underneath to clean the bearings :(
(fan is mounted off to the side and blows air accross the HS located over the core.

so i went to a computer swapmeet, found a collection of small 50x60mm coolers, found one thats light but with lots of fins and am about to mount that on my gpu instead!

much better cooling i expect... and all for 8 bucks AU. (4 US) a steal

gonna use some epoxy arctic silver to attach it.
i could have got an even better one, but it was alot heavier, and i didnt like the idea of all that weight hanging off the GPU core.

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
most yes..
but this one has the 40mm far way over to the side, and ive tried unscrewing it... but the screws seem bonded in.
thus to replace the fan i will have to replace the whole HSF.

here is a pic of my card and the oddball HSF arrangment.

<A HREF="http://www.banleong.com.sg/tech/product/leadtek/graphiccard/geforce2pro32.htm" target="_new">geforce2pro</A>

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh no. thats what one would think.

problem is the fan is screwed into the HS assembly via 2 small philips head screwdrivers.
and the screws are impossible to shift. tried as hard as i could without striping the threads to no avail. and u cant just take it off and get at it from underneath as the back of the HS blocks fan access.
so basically the entire HSF is going.

just gonna use my arctic silver epoxy and stick that 50x60mm cpu cooler on, minus the clip.