Discussion Low-End iMac for Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
iMAC.jpg

Released....Low-End iMac for Schools

Apple has today made available a low-specced, slightly cheaper iMac to the educational market. The 21.5-inch model costs $1000, $200 less than the regular entry-level iMac of the same size.

However, for that relatively small saving you get a lot less Mac. The processor is a dual-core Core i3 running at 3.1GHz, against the quad-core Core i5 at 2.5GHz, RAM is just 2GB instead of 4GB, the hard drive is a pathetic 250GB (Vs. 500GB) and the graphics — which use the same AMD Radeon HD 6750M processor — shrink their memory from 512MB to 256MB.

It also lacks a Thunderbolt port.

The educational iMac does get a keyboard with a numeric keypad, although you’re stuck with the Magic Mouse — there’s no free option for a trackpad.

For individual users, the $200 saving is clearly not worth it in exchange for last year’s tech — you’d be much better off buying a refurb from Apple and getting a bigger discount. For schools and colleges who don’t necessarily need to latest and best, and which buy in bulk, a $200 saving on, say, 50 machines is a lot of cash.

wired.com

Thanks for visiting Tom's Hardware

[:briovaz:3]

halcyon

Splendid

Dissapointing. Yes, Apple has a well designed all-in-one...the best designed, IMO...but they appear to heavily playing on their market's ignorance here. :( I like Apple, I really do, but they do some seriously questionable things sometimes.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Apple should give some kind of discount for the schools really.

Status
Not open for further replies.