Repartioning 9100

Is it true that repartioning the hard drive (to add partions) on a new
9100 will wipe out Dell's hidden partitions?

Not if you do it right. With the right software (e.g. Norton Partition
Magic) and a solid understanding of how to use it, you'll carve space out of
the C drive and make new partitions. That 'solid understanding' is not be
underestimated. And before you start changing the partitions you'll want to
make a backup disk image.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but repartitioning is, after all, an
advanced procedure. You can do it; just take your time and be sure before
you start.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:45:55 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>Not if you do it right. With the right software (e.g. Norton Partition
>Magic) and a solid understanding of how to use it, you'll carve space out of
>the C drive and make new partitions. That 'solid understanding' is not be
>underestimated. And before you start changing the partitions you'll want to
>make a backup disk image.
>
>I'm not trying to scare you off, but repartitioning is, after all, an
>advanced procedure. You can do it; just take your time and be sure before
>you start.

Thanks guys. I have used Powerquest Partition Magic on my older
computer, so I guess I'll be OK.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:33:56 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Shel
<scs@XXXieee.org> wrote:

>Is it true that repartioning the hard drive (to add partions) on a new
>9100 will wipe out Dell's hidden partitions?

I repartitioned the hard drives in my XPS 5 with Partition Magic a couple of
weeks ago: Partition Magic saw the hidden partition and I had no problem
leaving it untouched.

As long as understand what you're doing and are reasonably careful when you
repartition, shouldn't be a problem.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.