how automatically desactivate wifi interface?

Hello,

i have a laptop with centrino
when i am at work, i use my LAN card 10/100 but WIFI is activate and
try to associate with access points (we have access point at each
flow).
When i am at home, i use wifi.
I would like to know if it is possible to automatically desactivate
WIFI interface when LAN 10/100 interface is up? is there a software
that can supervise the LAN interface and active or desactive WIFI
interface when LAN interface is up or down?

Thanks

bye

--
christophebe
3 answers Last reply

    I'm not aware of a way to actually power down the Wi-Fi radio automatically.
    But by setting the IP Metric higher on the Wi-Fi adapter than on the 10/100
    adapter you can make Windows prefer to route through the 10/100 adapter.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "christophebe" <christophebe.17w9ga@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in
    message news:christophebe.17w9ga@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

    > When i am at home, i use wifi.
    > I would like to know if it is possible to automatically desactivate
    > WIFI interface when LAN 10/100 interface is up? is there a software
    > that can supervise the LAN interface and active or desactive WIFI
    > interface when LAN interface is up or down?
    > --
    > christophebe

    Unless I'm mistaken, couldn't you just go to the NETWORK CONNECTIONS
    menu and right-click to disable either the LAN when you're at home or
    the WIFI while at work? Enablling them is just as simple.

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:32:32 GMT, christophebe
    <christophebe.17w9ga@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >i have a laptop with centrino
    >when i am at work, i use my LAN card 10/100 but WIFI is activate and
    >try to associate with access points (we have access point at each
    >flow).
    >When i am at home, i use wifi.
    >I would like to know if it is possible to automatically desactivate
    >WIFI interface when LAN 10/100 interface is up? is there a software
    >that can supervise the LAN interface and active or desactive WIFI
    >interface when LAN interface is up or down?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >bye

    christophebe <christophebe.17w9ga@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > i have a laptop with centrino
    > when i am at work, i use my LAN card 10/100 but WIFI is activate and
    > try to associate with access points (we have access point at each
    > flow).
    > When i am at home, i use wifi.
    > I would like to know if it is possible to automatically desactivate
    > WIFI interface when LAN 10/100 interface is up? is there a software
    > that can supervise the LAN interface and active or desactive WIFI
    > interface when LAN interface is up or down?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > bye

    One way to address this is to use different hardware profiles. Right click
    "My Computer">>properties>>hardware>>hardware profiles. Select "copy", then
    rename the profiles appropriately, i.e. Home, Office. Next time you boot up,
    you will have these choices displayed. After you've booted up in the "Home"
    profile, go into "Device Manager" and disable the LAN nic; same procedure for
    the "Office" profile, disable the wireless nic. Once you've done this, select
    the appropriate profile at start up, and the configuration you wanted will be
    in effect. If ever you have a need for both nics in the same profile, simply
    go into "Device Manager" and enable whichever one is disabled.

LAN WiFi Wireless Networking