does anyone actually approve of this card?

G

putting together a system to be used for graphic/ web design (just 2d) no games.. so therefore i was suggested by some computer due that the --Matrox Millennium G450 16Mb DDR Dual Head AGP Display Card --would fit the bill and is great for what i want to do. However whenever i post the list of parts i'm thinking about getting for my upcoming system this card is the one thing people always don't like..

just looking for approval.. more opinions...? remember i won't be playing any games on this machine...

i know i could get something that is around the same $ if not less that handles 3d good as well but does the matrix listed above really do 2d better? becuase there is no point in getting something that has good 3d support when i won't be making use of it...

Think of value rather than price - ATi cards have exceptionally good 2D performance and the newer ones can support dual monitors. You'd be buying a lot of futureproofing too, plus great 3D performance.

Dual monitor support is far more common now than it used to be - a 16MB card is nowhere compared to what is now available at very reasonable prices.

Sex is great but it's no substitute for the real thing.....

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
If thats what your planning on doing, Mateo, then defintely stick to it and get the G450. Don't let these ATI guys sway you to the dark side. For pure 2d quality and features for graphics and web design MAtrox wins 8 days a week.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
For half the price of a G450, you can get a 32MB DDR Radeon 7000 with dual monitor support, as good 2D performance, and better 3D performance.

Plus, from I have read about dual monitor software support, the ATI and NVidia programs for handeling dual monitor output is much better than the matrox version.

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

scogel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
How quickly do you need your system? The next offering from Matrox looks awesome for 2-D, but it won't be out for a little while (2-3 months). I read somewhere that there will be different memory sized cards. I hope so because I know I won't need a 256K card.

<b> Hey, I always notice that bored look in their eyes. </b> :redface: