Matrox have the top card?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It's not out yet, so we'll see when it's out how it compairs to what is out there.

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, well, the R300 and the NV30 are also rumoured to appear this summer so, I don't think Matrox will be in the lead for more than 2 weeks or so.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

eden

Champion
Unless Matrox' solution actually uses a powerful hidden mem controller, I think it will have a tight competition with N and A's offerings. As for P10, it still has vague info, as we simply cannot know if it will be THAT much of a desktop card, and we need benches. Benches for both P10 and Parhelia's. I hope Matrox didn't expect 2 years of planning a killer card, just to hold for 2 weeks of competition!

--
Meow

Galvin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just don't see 3dlabs going into the gaming market, they have never made a card that runs fast enough to even be considered a gaming card. when I see 3dlabs I think 3d professional card or low end professional which means it's not going to be a fast gaming card.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
As for the Parhelia retailing this summer, I kinda feel that's unlikely, since I've seen nothing of them. I'd say more than likely around fall they'll be selling en masse. By then NV30 and R300 should also be out, further providing competition for Matrox.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Yeah, I don't think the Parhelia will lead over the two regulars, neither will the P10. But, it will provide excellent competition, especially on price/performance.

Unless anyone can provide solid info on those two being more expensive than the nv30 or r300, I'd still say they'll retail at a lower price. A price on par or above will simply be suicide.

<b><font color=red>This is not a signature.</font color=red></b>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Parhelia would be not be cheap for sure. According to Tom's Hardare the least expensive Parhelia card variant with 128 MB should be about $400.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
And then there's the issue of price; when it's finally shipping in June the fastest Parhelia-512 cards will carry a price tag of ~$450. There will be cheaper cards that offer lower performance but you shouldn't expect the Parhelia-512 to compete with the GeForce4 Ti 4200 anytime soon.
Well <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1620&p=12" target="_new">here</A> at Anandtech, it says that it shouldn't be able to compete in price really. It even loses out to the Ti4600 in some games also. I really don't think it'll be much of a threat. Especially with NV30/r300 coming.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
What Price did the first Geforce3 card launch at? What price did the GF4Ti4600 launch at?

The article calls those games "simple games" as in the games that give you upwards of 200fps in a current system. The difference will be neglegible if detectable at all by the average user. It will thrash the current cards in game that need a decent amount of multitexturing and other newer features. There is no point in taking things out of context.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Of course, let's compare it to the NV30/R300. They both supposedly have 256bit DDR memory, and higher RAM speeds than the Parhelia. The R300 is supposed to have 22.6GB of bandwidth, plus some bandwidth saving features. NVidia and ATi both have had a lot of experience in the gaming market abd Matrox hasn't.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think you'll find I've already said that its not likely to be as good as the cards from the regulars. I was just replying to the extract you pulled from the article and the comments you added.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, well it looks like this thread is done for, hopefully we answered the original poster's questions. So to sum up. The Parhelia will include many extraordinary features, and will the fastest video card for a little while until NV30/R300 come out and then it'll be a battle between those 2 heavyweights again. We're not saying that the Parhelia won't be good, just the opposite, it will be great and it may be that card that will force nVidia and ATi to include some features they were saving for later video cards. So in a way, even if the Parhelia isn't a great competition, it could in a way affected the video card market greatly.