catch22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
I recently upgraded the Voodoo3 in my computer to a 64 MB GeForce 2 MX. Now, whenever I try to play SoF2 the screen freezes up and the computer crashes after 5 or so minutes of playing. I'm thinking this is because the new graphics card is overheating or that my power supply is inadequete. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to ascertain the problem and what I have to buy to solve it (some kind of cooling fan perhaps?)?

G

Ive got the same problem, I recently upgraded from a Geforce256 to a GeForce 4 Ti4600. I installed the nvidia released detonators and eveything. Anytime I fire up a game within 3 mins, the card will freeze and I gotta hit the switch. I popped back in my geforce 1 and the problem went away. The temps inside my case are only 30C so I dont think temp is an issue. I got an RMA approved on that video card, but I havent sent it off just yet. Let me know about any solutions.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
First of all, what happens when you crash? Is it an instant reboot? Is it a blue screen? Is it a freeze?

Now, make sure you have removed all your old voodoo drivers and registry entries. There are utilities out there to do just that.

If you still have problems, it is likely a power issue, especialy if you get a full random reboot. Try getting a high grade PSU (A good idea anyway).

Otherwise, it is likely a software problem of some kind, either driver, DX, or game.

There is a slight chance the card is bad, but that is unlikely.

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

G

Ive got a Antec 350watt that is supposed to be all hardcore, I installed the drivers from the cd, detonators, leaked, all lead to the same freeze. the image just freezes on the screen and it requires the power switch to be held.

catch22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
I'm getting same type of crash as IndoFlaven - last image frozen on screen and comp completely locked up. Could someone point me in the direction of a utility that will get rid of all the Voodoo drivers and registry entries?

catch22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
Found what's causing my problem on the SoF2 message boards. http://204.97.248.99/ib/ikonboard.pl?s=3cfe0b2c0618ffff;act=ST;f=2;t=1800
Apparently the crashes are triggered by playing multiplayer with a Quake 3 engine game. I'm still not quite sure what to do. Take a look at some posts from the SoF 2 Boards:

"most of the time whilst on MP the game will suddenly freeze and the sound will loop. the only thing that gets rid of it is to reset my pc. i had this problem with MOH:AA at first but that seems to run ok now. does anyone know why it does this??"

"I had that problem a lot with Wolfenstein. It's a known problem between certain motherboard and video chipsets. What fixed it for me was underclocking my Radeon 8500 using PowerStrip."

"buy better quality ram
incompatable dimm /rd ram/sd ram modules will give you lock ups in this game as well as several other games"

I already tried underclocking to the lowest possible levels with RivaTuner but that didn't seem to work. Would replacing ram do the trick? How about upgrading to Windows XP?

BTW, system specs:
P3 733
192 mb sdram
Win 98 SE