yeah! supreme cooling.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the crap stock fan on my geforce2pro was buggin the hooey out of me. and due to its even crappier design i couldnt get in and fix the problem... dust in the fan bearings leading to very bad noise.

(wierd design, fan off to the right side of the HS)

so i riped the entire HSF off, cleaned off the white gunk, and used Arctic Silver Epoxy to bond a nice Socket 370 chipset cooler onto it

tee hee hee
about 50mm x 70mm with a nice quiet 50mm fan

it takes up 2 full PCI slots now, but it works wonders. and is easy to replace should anything.

plus im only using 2 pci slots, 4 and 5.

need a digicam to get some shots.

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Great idea. I've always wanted to make my own "custom cooling device" Of course, you can only overclock so much, so your system is going to become unstable at some point even if you can keep it at a cool temp.

I think we need some good and innovative design features. Like taking these for example.

We know that copper absorbs heat better than aluminum. However it is also more expensive and weighs more. So, as some companies have already done, just make the contact points where the HS touchs the chip/s of copper, then the fins and the rest of the base aluminum. A good combination to work effectively, and at the same time save some money and not get it weighing a ton.

On the fan issue. Maybe we need to consult an aerodynamics engineer or wind expert. Some blades on fans are flat/straight; some are curved and at an angle. Some blades are further apart (like only 4 on the entire fan), some are grouped closer together.

Maybe adding some different bearings that aren't as loud either. This could allow us to create a fan that is effective, but yet quiet (I think 3600 RPM is very quiet, above 4500 is pushing it).

I think normal consumers like us have the money and resources at home to design our on fans. That wouldn't be that big of a deal. I've already thought about this actually.

One more thing I have thought of. Gold is like the supreme absorber of heat (so I have been told). Of course 24k gold is what wedding rings are made of that you pay $100 for at your local jewelry shop.

However, pure silver on the other hand, is also very effective, but not as expensive as gold (still expensive, but not as). I am thinking of like comparing diamonds and rubies. There is enough of a price difference.

I think a good amount of fancy silverware, like forks and spoons, are made of sterling silver which is like an alloy, and I think about 80% or 90% silver (pure silver is very soft and doesn't hold it's shape well).

I think if a very thin layer of silver were to be used (like a centimeter around the contact point), then maybe the rest of aluminum, it might be affordable.

I know one of the Zalman HSF's had about .3 milimeter layer of pure 24k gold on the bottom (since there is so little of it, I think it only cost like $50).

I'm going to look into these matters. Perhaps I will be able to make my own HSF :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I used an old Pentium heatsink which only blocks 1 PCI slot. I chopped up a socket 7 heatsink and made the biggest, ugliest, ramsinks.

Results - Crap. Got 2 more mhz on the GPU and no improvement for the video RAM.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well this HS wasnt actually for overclocking so much. i just wanted something nice and big that was easy to maintain... unlike the stock solution.

and something that looked a bit different :smile:

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol: